Robbery by being gased

Thurlestone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep your wits about you and ignore all the gassing posts as they are usually a myth, the results of these robberies are usually caused by overtiredness and drink induced sleep on the driver and passengers. It has been shown by the College of Anaesthetists that it is impossible, so take them with a pinch of salt.

We have yet to be informed by Members of this Forum whether they have suffered, it is usually "well a Friend of a Friend" or "I have been told by someone".

Not once has there been a confirmed post indicating a tanker full of gas parked beside a MH and then rendered occupants unconscious.

In the real world who is going to gas occupants to hopefully find something to steal?

Totally myth and the only sensible thing you can do is ignore it.

I am sorry you did not think my advice on your Chatterbox thread was sensible although I appreciate the thread did go off on a tanget.

The vast majority of motorhomers and professionals do not think gas attacks are happening. If they are, then as was stated on your previous thread, there are numerous gases that can be used to render someone incapacitated, some that would do so permanently, that I doubt you will find one detector that will identify all the gases.

If you are convinced you will be attacked, and I'm not going to say you will not be, then have a look at the Rhino Installs website. Phil's done some good work for me in the past and others on Motorhome Facts.

http://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/motorhome_gas_attack.htm

Milenco also do a product

http://www.milenco.com/products/sleep-safe-alarms/

I mentioned that you should contact your insurance company. Have a look at this from an insurer.

https://www.lifesure.co.uk/blog/2013/05/gas-attacks-on-caravans-and-motorhomes-fact-or-fiction/

and this from the Daily Telegraph which includes quote from the Royal College of Anaesthetists and highlights advice from John Cross Motorcaravans:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11068184/New-spate-of-attacks-by-sleeping-gas-gang-caravanners-warned.html

sshortcircuit - 2016-10-22 2:41 PM

Not once has there been a confirmed post indicating a tanker full of gas parked beside a MH and then rendered occupants unconscious.

In the real world who is going to gas occupants to hopefully find something to steal?

Totally myth and the only sensible thing you can do is ignore it.

It would seem that 'gassing' is a big issue with this member as it is the second time he has started a thread of this nature. One cannot ignore real fears, so my advice would be for him to sell his motorhome and holiday by other means. It is sad, especially after forking out for an expensive motorhome but it is no good if he is to be in a state of anxiety every time he parks up at night.

I would echo the sentiments of others......

If you really are that concerned, perhaps an alternative holidaying style is what you need.

Your previous post on the subject did go off in a tangent, but there was also plenty of useful information to allay your fears, surely?

I would assume that you've also had a good trawl of the internet to broaden your level of research, but still came to the same conclusion?

You have to understand that to most [all bar one probably!] forum members, this 'Robbery by Gas' rumour just can't be taken seriously - there are risks involved in whatever you do, but I would imagine being gassed is akin to winning the lottery - twice, and I don't just mean a tenner!

It is sensible to take care on motorway service areas. But on campsites in Spain, we sleep with the windows open, (you need to in the heat)

I do personally know of some one who, got robbed on a service station in French , at night. He was in a car, and had stopped to sleep, with the window slightly open. They took all his tools . He does the trip regularly , as he works part of the time in France, shoeing horses Probably was gassed, as he did feel groggy in the morning, Certainly was not drink

Hi all

I think this a myth - people are robbed and look for a reason why - just bad luck.

We have travelled many thousands of miles around Europe and never met anyone who has been robbed or had troubles - except normal 'officials'.

I have lost stuff and claimed off the insurance, but all my own stupidity - (you will notice not 'ere' stupidity)

Just keep your whits about you, do not leave anything valuable on display and mostly ENJOY.

We were robbed some years ago when we had experimented with a caravan but, not being able to let go entirely, used a La Strada panel van conversion to tow it. While we slept contentedly in the caravan the Alan Strada was broken into - every cupboard was searched but, fortunately, nothing taken as all our possessions were in the caravan.

Where exactly did this deed occur? On the campsite at Guines on the first night of a French tour.

The rest of Europe is no different to camping in the UK. Take all the necessary precautions but don't be fooled into thinking somewhere is more risky than anywhere else.

David

There was a family of 6 reported being gassed. They claimed they felt 'ill' in the morning after they discovered a break in and a suitcase of valuables going missing.

Some points to consider

6 adults sleeping in a confined area with poor ventilation would make anybody feel ill just from the C02 build up. Any alcohol wouldn't improve matters.

Some people sleep very deeply undisturbed by thunderstorms, traffic noise, spouses getting in and out of bed etc. Alcohol consumption would make matters worse though acute hypoxia could generate a wake up response.

Don't put all your valuables in a convenient carry all. Hide them in several places or put them in a lock up box that would have to be torn out. Better still don't take them with you.

Don't leave handbags, bum bags or trousers with wallets draped over the front seats.

Gassing reports are anecdotal and there is little if any actual proof.

The most dangerous thing you do in Europe with a RH drive van is turn right at a junction.

Enjoy yourself, relax a little, your supposed to be on holiday

I appreciate all the comments and particularly the sensible advise offered by some to investigate the evidence. I have no intention of changing my method of touring and am not paranoid but after the ridiculous answers posted following the first attempt to gain information I decided to see if the were sensible members who could offer help. I now have that and will continue to sleep soundly but will not visit the site in central France where my friend was broken into and robbed.

Enjoy your touring and hopefully we can all be polite and supportive to each other when out and about.

Thurlestone

From Auto Trail owners club web site .

Gassing in motorhomes ?.

The Royal College of Anaesthetists issued a statement last year amid claims that Britons were being gassed and burgled in motor homes and now the robbery of Jenson Button claiming gassing is in the news, it is repeated here.

"Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth."

"It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time."

"If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice."

They went on to say that the quantity that would be needed to fill a motorhome would require a tanker full and the significant cost would far outweigh the advantage of the robbery. They also said that the administering of the necessary volume of an uncontrolled anaesthetic agent would mean the possibility of killing the victims.

I think people are being a bit too quickly dismissive over this. Motorhome/Camper robbery is a reality and the reprobates will resort to anything to gain entry into your van.....and they don't give a flying fig whether you are in it or not. I've had personal experience as have a couple of friends of mine who woke in the middle of the night to find a youth inside their van. Three others in the vicinity were targeted the same night according to police.

I travel alone, am in my late 60s, arthritic etc so what the hell is someone like me going to do when faced with two or three 20 something year old youths who may well be carrying knives? Ask them to hang on a minute while i just get my wheel brace to whack 'em with?

In relation to the op's post i found these within seconds of doing a search on Google.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2687711/British-couple-robbed-campervan-thieves-knocked-using-SLEEPING-GAS-France.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2746529/Knocked-laughing-gas-robbed-motorhome-Family-tell-motorway-ordeal-latest-attack-tourists-France.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11068184/New-spate-of-attacks-by-sleeping-gas-gang-caravanners-warned.html

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-family-gassed-robbed-camper-van-french/story-22214863-detail/story.html

and here is the Jenson Button robbery; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33821661

Since my experience i've gone full "belt 'n braces" by fitting a Thatcham cat 1 alarm, in-car DVR cam (continuous record), plus separate compact digital cam.

I know people like France and Spain but i keep well clear of both those countries and stick with what i know best.....East European countries where i've never had any mither whatsoever.

Bulletguy - 2016-10-28 11:55 PMI think people are being a bit too quickly dismissive over this. Motorhome/Camper robbery is a reality and the reprobates will resort to anything to gain entry into your van.....and they don't give a flying fig whether you are in it or not.....

I agree with that bit but that doesn't mean that gas attacks are credible as a method, so you shouldn't waste money on gas detection warning systems (other than a simple carbon monoxide dtector) as a way of protecting yourself.

Keeping a canister-powered air horn by your bedside and, even better, taking a dog with you, are probably as good as you can get.  Just forget  about gas attacks, they don't happen and wouldn't be remotely practical for the attacker.

StuartO - 2016-10-29 9:01 AM
Bulletguy - 2016-10-28 11:55 PMI think people are being a bit too quickly dismissive over this. Motorhome/Camper robbery is a reality and the reprobates will resort to anything to gain entry into your van.....and they don't give a flying fig whether you are in it or not.....

I agree with that bit but that doesn't mean that gas attacks are credible as a method, so you shouldn't waste money on gas detection warning systems (other than a simple carbon monoxide dtector) as a way of protecting yourself.

Keeping a canister-powered air horn by your bedside and, even better, taking a dog with you, are probably as good as you can get.  Just forget  about gas attacks, they don't happen and wouldn't be remotely practical for the attacker.

StuartYou haven't thought this through have you?!Keeping an air horn by your bed is all well and good.....but how do you propose using it when zonked out by gas?!!! Even your dog would be fast asleep too!Whilst i agree it certainly isn't the most ideal method i'm not sure we can shrug and say "doesn't happen" when i linked five separate cases showing it does! None of us on the forum have experienced it.......yet. That's all.

Reading minutely through the five sets of details that Biulletguy offers there is no truth in any of them. Its all speculation by third parties. The Police. The Newspapers and the Investigators..

One shows a family of 8. That number alone is more than enough to knock out anyone in a confined space.

When a living person on this forum says he or she was personally affected in such a way, then it may be considered, but even then it could only be documented as a guess.

Will86 - 2016-10-29 6:20 PM

Reading minutely through the five sets of details that Biulletguy offers there is no truth in any of them. Its all speculation by third parties. The Police. The Newspapers and the Investigators..

One shows a family of 8. That number alone is more than enough to knock out anyone in a confined space.

When a living person on this forum says he or she was personally affected in such a way, then it may be considered, but even then it could only be documented as a guess.

Will.........i know even if "a living person on this forum" experienced such, you are such a cynical sceptic you'd still doubt!!!

Is Jensen Buttons spokeman a liar?

The suspicion that gas was used - a claim made by Mr Button's spokesman and one that police would not comment directly on - echoes reports of previous attacks against wealthy individuals and celebrities.

Former Arsenal footballer Patrick Vieira said he and his family were knocked out by gas during a 2006 raid on their home in Cannes. And in 2002, British television stars Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine said they were gassed while attending the Cannes Film Festival.

"It doesn't surprise me at all," says an operations director for SRX, a home security firm based near Mr Button's home.The director, who did not want to be named, says the firm has been asked by several clients in recent years to install measures to prevent such an attack.

"The term they used to use is chloroform attacks, but it's not actually chloroform, it's another anaesthetic-based gas." The easiest way of introducing the gas into a house would be through its air conditioning intake vents outside the property, he says.

Those examples cited are hardly proof are they? In fact reading through them has made me consider the possibility even less plausible than before.

It's all conjecture - and as for the family in their Swift worth 65K! come on, there's an exaggeration to start with!

What is really strange is the other family from Derby also appear to have the identical van........

It's all about being careful and comfortable with your surroundings, I have moved on before because I didn't fancy a particular location.

I have sympathy with anyone who has had the misfortune to be robbed whilst touring, and I would imagine it's a really traumatic event, but by being gassed - I just don't see it.

Archived