Route to Finland

mikejkay

I am contemplating driving across northern europe to Helsinki but this involves driving through the Kaliningrad Oblast. As this is a russian enclave it would seem that a visa is required . From what I have read the visa rules were tightened up in January. Has anybody else tried this trip or would it be best to coss over to Sweden and then on to Finland?

If you do want to go that way you will need a visa issued before you leave the UK. It's the same as entering Russia - biometrics etc so if you are only passing through best to avoid.

We simply drove around from Poland through Lithuania - its not too far out of the way and the roads were fine.

mikejkay - 2017-04-19 9:23 PM

Basically, avoid the place and skirt around it to the south. I had hoped to stick to the coast. Thanks for the help. Back to the drawing boaed.

Yes, best to avoid it because of the bureaucracy. If you do want to go via the northern coastal route, you can head down the E77 after Gdansk, turn East at Ostroda and head back to the coast once in Lithuania.

All seems to be too much hassle. I've decided to cross from Sassnitz (Poland) to Trelleborg (Sweden) and then from Kapellskar (Sweden) to Naantali (Finland) for the grand sum of £102 (one way). Then up north and back down through Norway. Taking a shot gun for the mosquitoes :-D

Archived