Royan ferry 80 euros for a tag axle.

jb6981

I thought Dover-Calais was expensive for 21 miles, but yesterday I was charged 80 euros for the 5-6 mile Gironde estuary crossing from Royan to Verdon.

One 7.5 metre 4.5 tonne 3 axle van and one passenger.

Last year I paid about 56 euros.

jb6981 - 2016-06-27 11:35 AM

I thought Dover-Calais was expensive for 21 miles, but yesterday I was charged 80 euros for the 5-6 mile Gironde estuary crossing from Royan to Verdon.

Are you mad or just rich, why on earth do that, especially as you knew it was their. It is a road to no where anyway and no faster, if coming from La Rochelle direction heading for Bordeaux anyway. OK if you want to visit one of the small seaside places on the mouth of Gironde on the south side but what else?

rupert123 - 2016-06-27 4:24 PM

jb6981 - 2016-06-27 11:35 AM

Are you mad or just rich, why on earth do that, especially as you knew it was their. It is a road to no where anyway and no faster, if coming from La Rochelle direction heading for Bordeaux anyway. OK if you want to visit one of the small seaside places on the mouth of Gironde on the south side but what else?

Yeah rich not mad; to reach my destination Montalivet which as you say is one of the small seaside places on the mouth of the Gironde , I could have carried on down the A10 to Bordeaux, extra fuel and tolls, then you have to navigate the Bordeaux ring road which is as bad as Paris, then it is about 85 miles to Montalivet on a Route National which is mostly single carriageway. So you save navigating a very congested city and an extra 85 miles driving. It is probably cheaper to go the long way round by about 40 euros but the stress and hassle factor and saving 3 or 4 hours extra driving is worth it in my opinion.

For anyone contemplating using a ferry to cross the Gironde estuary, there is an alternative service between Blaye and Lamarque. 2016 tarif details are here

http://transgironde.gironde.fr/ftp/FR_document/tarifs-BLAYE_2016.pdf

In this instance the Blaye-Lamarque crossing would not have been as convenient for reaching Montalivet as going Royan-Verdon, but it does avoid Bordeaux and would have cost 51€ rather than 80€.

Evening folks, What one must take into consideration is the excitement of the ferry , although this is very minor, the time can be about the same in high season. the last time we used was in 2009 and then it was 50qiud for our panel van in low season anyway you will just have to put down to a pleasant experience. norm

we have used this ferry over the last two years and it cost some 44 Euros or so for the 6m motorhome and two of us each way. To us its well worth it en route for Montalivet, as it saves considerable time, and a good deal in fuel/driving hassle. We tend to overnight on the way out in Royan, then get down for an early ferry and have never had to wait very long.

The 2016 pricing document suggests that - for motorhomes up to 6 meters long or up to 3 metres in height - the single-crossing tariff will be €39.60

For 2-axle ‘heavy’ motorhomes (presumably this means over 3500kg overall weight) over 6 meters long or over 3 metres in height, the single-crossing tariff will be €41.60

When a motorhome is ‘heavy’ and has 3 (or more) axles, the single-crossing tariff jumps to €76.80.

I think the above tariffs include the vehicle’s driver, and the single-crossing tariff for an adult passenger would be €3.20

I used this ferry about 15-20 years ago in our tag-axle MH and I don't remember it being expensive, certainly less than £10 maybe even less than £5.

Clearly they have adopted the concepts upon which the autoroute tolls are calculated and tag-axle MHs get clobbered.

Archived