Runcorn Bridge Toll - motorhomes

brownsat259

In June we were slapped with penalty notices for not paying the correct toll to cross the bridge ie class 3 - £6 each way - I had paid the class 2 rate each way.

According to Merseyflow's own website (quote) "Campervans/motorhomes are class 2* vehicles so will cost £2 each way at the unregistered toll/charge rate. *Conditions apply, please refer to classification of vehicles below."

So I checked the classifications and it says "CLASS 2 VEHICLE means motor caravans falling within classifications L(a) and L(b): so I checked those classifications - still with me? - and they say that a motor caravan is constructed to include living accommodation containing at least the following equipment:

(i) seats and a table; (ii) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats; (iii) cooking facilities; and (iv) storage facilities, all of which equipment is rigidly fixed to the living compartment notwithstanding that the table may be designed to be easily removable. We qualify on all those counts.

Not withstanding all that, Merseyflow insist our Rapido is Class 3. People I've spoken to there usually mention the weight, but the website doesn't stipulate a maximum weight.

After 2 appeals against the penalty notices were rejected we went to tribunal. Within 24 hours we were told that the authority had decided not to contest our appeal which meant we had won and there was nothing further to pay.

Result you might think, but we want to use the bridge again, and still can't find someone with authority to confirm that Motorhomes are classified Class 2.

If their website had said motorhomes up to a certain weight were Class 2 and over that weight were Class 3, we'd have paid the £6 without querying it and I am tempted to just pay up, but I really think if they want to change their rules, they need to change them on the website so it's clear for all to see.

Anyone else had experience of this?

We live in Liverpool and when the new crossing opened I tried to register an account for our motorhome.

They insisted my under 3500 van was over according to their database and wanted to charge me accordingly. Why their database and the DVLA don’t agree I don’t know???

Now we use the tunnel if we are going that way.

When the new bridge opened and the old free one was closed to force us onto it I went through a similar procedure. Then , with help from the Camping and Caravanning club, we successfully lobbied to have our moptorhome reclassified at the £2 level.

The statement from Merseyflow in March 2018 said that if the registration document said it if I write to them with details of my V5 document showing that my vehicle is a motor caravan in Category N1 they will classify it as Class 2 rather than Class 3 for future tolling purposes. ; great

I did this and even had a refund of the higher charges previously paid.

THEN

After about two months I realised Iwas being charged Class 4 although my account shows me as Clss2.

I've tried being nice and being assertive and they say they've just changed their mind and are intransigent.

So I too use the Mersey tunnel or the bridges in Warrington now......

(Or perhaps the identical bridge at Stirling in Scotland that opened 3 weeks earlier and is free to all....).

Thanks for your responses. I think we shall also be taking alternative routes across the Mersey for now.

When I feel I can cope again with an exchange of arguments I'll have another go at getting an answer from Merseyflow that explains why they insist our motorhome is Class 3 for this toll, even though we comply with all the criteria of a motor caravan, as specified on their website, which also says such motor caravans will be charged as Class 2.

And if it is the weight that turns ours into Class 3, why is that not spelled out on the website?

Incidentally we crossed the bridge twice last year in the motorhome having paid £2 per crossing. No problem!

Archived