Safety measures camping on French aires

The oldies

We were parked on l’Aubrac Aire, near Aumont on A75 in France, when we had our Fiat Ducato motorhome broken into, whilst asleep. A key had been used to enter the passenger door, and a “hidden compartment” on the dash was cleaned out (husband’s wallet and UK cash stolen, store cards etc discarded). I woke a few times, feeling that the wind was rocking the van! Our habitation curtain was opened fully, but I was up checking surrounding area with a torch, and obviously scared the burglar off. When we discovered the break in come the morning, we thanked our lucky stars that we were alive and all of our other possessions were intact. After that, our doors were firmly tied together by rope, which was then wound round gear stick and led over the horn, and finally the early warning system put in place - a metal tin with a few teaspoons in it balanced on the rope. The side door also had an early warning system of water container with step balanced gingerly to fall at the least shake of the van. On reporting this to the French police, they confirmed that a key had been used, and were not surprised! We managed to put it behind us after a few days, but realised but for my light sleep pattern, we could have been a lot worse off. We are long seasoned travellers and are safety conscious at all times, but it proved to us that you need to be extra cautious when travelling. ??

Welcome to the forum and I am indeed sorry to hear or your experience, we travelled Europe for many years and never had a problem but we avoided trunk road aires like the plague.

I did read once of a front quarterlight being removed by cutting away the rubber surround and then a seat belt between the doors being cut to gain access but you seem to have that angle covered.

I always slept with my wallet under my pillow and away from the aisle as I hate parting with my money, and having a dog may have helped as a couple of times she did bark for no obvious reason in the middle of the night - frightened the living daylights out of us from fast asleep and we will never know why? The wife's handbag was always in the overcab locker and to get to it the dog would need to be disturbed.

I used a simple and cheap door chain on the hab door, placed out of sight from the door window, and whilst it probably would not have stopped a determined thief breaking it would have made some noise, but I do like the thought of a water trap!

But at least you were not gassed, but that's a whole different tale!

This aire (rest area) on the A75 Auto route is basically a picnic stop / rest area with toilets. I'm very sorry for what happened to you. But as seasoned travellers WHAT possessed you to stay overnight in such a place? I think you will choose a better place to overnight next time.

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO OTHERS!!!!!

PLEASE! PLEASE! invest in an alarm that has the doors opening and glass smash covered. This will prevent any problems with an insurance claim in the future.

Don't let this incident spoil your enjoyment.

Regards Wilf

Wilf - 2018-04-10 7:

PLEASE! PLEASE! invest in an alarm that has the doors opening and glass smash covered. This will prevent any problems with an insurance claim in the future.

Don't let this incident spoil your enjoyment.

Regards Wilf

Ok, we’ve been travelling in the van for just 8 years now and not had any issues. We don’t use aires, but campsites are not always as secure as one might think or hope.

My question: what sort of alarm are we talking about here, and approx what might it cost for a PVC?

Appreciate it could vary quite a lot but ballparks ok

Cheers, Snowie

common wisdom is not to stop overnight on motorway service “Aires" as they are high risk

for a recommended alarm - I have a Vanbitz strikeback - approx £600

https://www.vanbitz.com/motor-home-security/

details here https://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/FACTS-BRITISH-EUROPEAN-SECURITY-0217-inc-Growler.pdf

highly recommended and i can disable internal sensor when sleeping overnight but leave the doors alarmed. I sleep much better with it on.

We fitted Heosafe deadlocks to our van last year and lock the front doors from the inside when sleeping. They were purchased to secure the vehicle when we are away and the would be thief would need to break a window and climb through it to enter. We also have Heosafe locks on the back and side doors but do not deadlock the side door when inside in case we need to escape in an emergency, instead a simple internal latch can be fitted to the side door when sleeping and we only deadlock the side door when we leave the vehicle unattended. They make locks specifically for the Ducato etc and the front door ones are straight forward and integrate well with existing door trim. The external side and rear door require some drilling but are pretty straight forward to fit.

http://www.heosolution.de/GB/index.php?tip=heosafe&subc=2&prod=678

I also found the heosafe on UK Amazon and they were on special at the time and much cheaper.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience - it must have been very unnerving - but for many years I've understood that the most basic safety measure on French motorway aires ( especially those which are NOT fuel stops ) is not to use them for overnight stops.

:-|

We also have secondary deadlocks on the cab doors (x250) but what I'd like to know is this. If a thief uses a small screwdriver to push up under the front door handle and release the latch will this cause the habitation door to be unlocked? (ie, same as if a key had been used in the ftont lock).

The oldies - 2018-04-10 7:09 PM

We were parked on l’Aubrac Aire, near Aumont on A75 in France, when we had our Fiat Ducato motorhome broken into, whilst asleep. A key had been used to enter the passenger door, and a “hidden compartment” on the dash was cleaned out (husband’s wallet and UK cash stolen, store cards etc discarded). I woke a few times, feeling that the wind was rocking the van! Our habitation curtain was opened fully, but I was up checking surrounding area with a torch, and obviously scared the burglar off. When we discovered the break in come the morning, we thanked our lucky stars that we were alive and all of our other possessions were intact. After that, our doors were firmly tied together by rope, which was then wound round gear stick and led over the horn, and finally the early warning system put in place - a metal tin with a few teaspoons in it balanced on the rope. The side door also had an early warning system of water container with step balanced gingerly to fall at the least shake of the van. On reporting this to the French police, they confirmed that a key had been used, and were not surprised! We managed to put it behind us after a few days, but realised but for my light sleep pattern, we could have been a lot worse off. We are long seasoned travellers and are safety conscious at all times, but it proved to us that you need to be extra cautious when travelling. ??

There are three "Aires Camping Car" in the area. It seems the one you used was that on the A75 service area, approx. GPS N44.74281, E3.28837, both northbound and southbound, which is not designated as an overnight stopping place, but only as a aire de services (dump station etc.). It is not recommended as an overnight stopover on the French Camping Car Infos website.

It is on one of the main north-south tourist routes, and is also just off a toll free autoroute. Probably the most insecure combination of factors imaginable.

Do not be confused by the use of the term "aire". It is simply the French word for "area", and is invariably qualified as to its intended use. What you are seeking first and foremost is an Aire Camping-Cars. These are sub-categorised by use; where some provide parking only, some overnight parking, some access to drainage for black and/or grey water, some electricity, and some the whole gamut. They may be associated with a restaurant or motorhome dealership, they may be provided by a municipality or privately owned. So, assuming that the appearance of the word "aire" on a sign indicates a safe place to stop overnight, is highly likely to mislead. You need to access, or carry, a guide to what is on offer where.

The French police, among others, have for years cautioned against overnighting on motorway rest, or service, areas. The reason is that these rest and service areas are generally heavily used, so prone to night-time noise, which encourages people to use ear-plugs or similar to sleep, and that they are often tired when they stop, meaning that they tend to sleep deeply. Couple to this that there is minimal surveillance, and that the autoroute affords rapid (in this case toll free) escape for a thief, and you have the ideal conditions for theft. So the simple first principle is - do not overnight on any motorway service, or rest, area.

There is a designated alternative overnight stop in the area, a few miles south, at Aumont Aubrac, GPS N44.72145, E3.28461. It is on the Place Forail, accessible northbound via the D809 from junction 36 (signposted Aumont Aubrac), about 1.5 miles south of the town, or southbound via the D809 from junction 35 (signposted Aumont Aubrac and Nasbinals), about one mile north of the town. This is a proper Aire Camping-Cars, which is designated by Camping Car Infos for overnight parking. It has no services. (Services (waste dump etc) can be found a little further north, at the Auchan service station on the Zone d'Activites le Pecher (accessible via D809 from Aumont Aubrac).)

A more secure overnight stop might have been further north still, at St Chely-d'Apcher, where there is a Municipal (or ex-municipal) campsite, La Croix des Anglias: GPS N44.81644 E3.27074.

Reading through the replies to this post; I've come to the conclusion that not all of us motorhomers have alarms fitted.

If this is the case does not your insurance company insist that you have a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm fitted as part of the cover they provide.

I know most but not all will request the see the installation certificate prior to commencement of cover; those that don't will request it if you need to make a claim.

If you spend all these thousands of pounds on a motorhome why 'skimp' on not having an alarm to save £600 to £700. That's MAD!!!

"If this is the case does not your insurance company insist that you have a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm fitted as part of the cover they provide. "

Had motorhomes for 9 years this year & not yet had an insurer insist on an alarm being fitted.

First van had a Thatcham alarm on when I got it, so this was declared - don't know if they would have insisted I fit one had it not been present.

2nd van they were happy with the Fiat immobiliser & when I broached the alarm issue with them they said it wouldn't make any difference to the premium so I didn't bother.

3rd van (Mk8 Transit) insurer insisted on a Thatcham Tracker - again, didn't make any difference to premium if I fitted an alarm, so I didn't.

Current van has the Tracker as before (I had paid for "lifetime" subscription with theTransit & found I could swap this FOC during the first 12 months to another vehicle), though insurer would probably have insisted anyway due to replacement cost. Not got an alarm on this one either.

Nigel B

Alarms are expensive and tend to be troublesome with false alarms due to poor connections, corrosion, electronics, etc. as they age. Motorhomes have high humidity environments, not ideal environments for most Alarms.

They also tend to be a bit late on alerting the occupant, as they tend to 'trigger' once access to the interior has already been gained.

An alarm is only of any value if it either frightens the intruder away or someone comes to your aid.

In a remote spot, the alarm sounding may not frighten the intruder at all. Having gained access, it might get ugly.

Few people take notice of Alarms.

Physical security, IMO, is a better option. Preventing access to the vehicle seems more sensible than alerting you to the fact the intruder is already next to the bed?

Deadlocks and the like are generally a better, lower cost, long term reliable solution that usually offers better real security.

As we know all too well, electric items have a habit of letting you down when you need them the most.

I agree with the advice above that starting with a safe area to stop should be the first part of your security strategy.

The underwriters set their own rules, so I think there is unlikely to be a consistent, industry wide, position.

My own view on alarms is that they are of limited benefit. If triggered on a parked, unoccupied, vehicle, they are generally ignored as having been accidentally triggered, malfunctioned, or just being a noisy nuisance.

If the vehicle is occupied the triggering of the alarm would, presumably, alert the occupants, but by the time the alarm triggers either a door will have been opened - and so its lock in some way deactivated (or not initially locked), or a window forced (or not properly closed). However, unless a door or window had been left unopened, it is likely that the door lock, or window, will have been damaged. This has more to say about the occupants' choice of stopping place, that the desirability of having an alarm.

For what it is worth, therefore, I think being selective in where the van is parked, whether occupied or not, is the primary means to limit the risk of break-in or theft, whether of contents or vehicle.

Were I to feel the need to add security to a motorhome, my first choice would be secondary locks or, if buying new, to specify the addition of deadlocks, which overcome the ability of a thief to gain entry by breaking, or cutting out, a drivers door window or front quarter light. However, it would be unwise to sleep in a deadlocked van unless the remote locking key is religiously kept close to, and readily accessibly by, the occupants. Neither of these approaches involves the addition of a malfunction-prone alarm.

IMO, trackers are of benefit only to the insurer, as it merely allows the vehicle to be located and, ultimately, returned to its owner, so limiting the insurer's risk of total loss. By the time the tracker alerts the owner to theft, his van has disappeared down the road with whatever was inside it at the time, having been first been entered and started. This may reduce premiums, but I'm not sure I would be that happy to be reunited with a van that had recently been "nicked".

The argument for or against an alarm is somewhat moot as our insurer required it.

You can discuss the pros and cons of alarms ad nauseum, whether they are effective or not etc, whether any pays any attention etc, but you miss the intangible element that it may make the robbery look at the softer, unalarmed van beside you. An active alarm makes you less like to be broken into by the shear virtue of having it enabled.

Robbers are generally opportunists and cowards who want to operate quietly without being disturbed and an alarm means they are likely to choose an easier target

That is my take on it

I agree with Gerry on the burglar looking for the easiest target and I've plastered my van with warning signs about having alarms and a tracker fitted and hope they'll look elsewhere before deciding on mine.

I do have an alarm fitted but not a tracker although the thief wouldn't know one way or the other.

Coming back to the OP's theft - I honestly can't see why anyone would stay overnight on a Motorway Aire.

There is the constant sound of vehicles arriving and departing, refrigerated lorries with generators running all night, doors being slammed, voices heard talking in loud whispers or people laughing, footsteps across the tarmac as people go to the toilet or fetch things from the food outlets and getting anything like a decent nights sleep is almost impossible.

With proper designated Aires close by it seems bizarre that the option to stay in such an environment is taken when safer and quieter places are reasonably easily accessible.

If you are very tired by the time you reach the Motorway Aire then you should have had the nouse to stop earlier and find a more traveller friendly stopover.

At least he didn't use “OMG, I must have been gassed” excuse – although the thread would have been much longer if he had.

We use designated Aires all the time - but never the Motorway ones at night.

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Solomongrundy - 2018-04-11 5:19 PM

Coming back to the OP's theft - I honestly can't see why anyone would stay overnight on a Motorway Aire.

As this, when transiting across france and expecting to have a late stop we look for a camping aire before getting too tired so giving the option of moving on if full.

In the UK it's a bit different, no network of aires, this leaves many looking for alternatives like motorway services.

Hi

I would never sleep in a van with deadlocks locked. The risk is too high given the speed that fire can travel. Similarly with tying doors together, even more of a risk cos you are restricting possible escape routes.

Maybe I am too cautious but I had a colleague killed by fire at night many years back and that leaves an impression. When i stay at hotels I also check fire escape routes and number of doors/turns to the star of the fire escape.

Alarms may become unstable as they get old although I have never experienced such a problem. I agree that even working properly an alarm is not foolproof but it gives peace of mind at night. If a door opens the alarm goes off immediately at least that is my experience from inadvertently opening the door without disabling the alarm. At this point I usually say to my wife “ just testing”.

I have alarm to give me some confidence accepting that I might still be burgled when I am away from the van. An Moho slsrm attached to my bikes saved them in an established aire de camping, they cut the wire. A bad way to wake at 3am!

You can’t take away the risk of robbery all you can do is reduce it. The level of risk you are prepared to accept is a very personal choice.

Peter

Gerry McG - 2018-04-11 5:00 PM

Robbers are generally opportunists and cowards who want to operate quietly without being disturbed and an alarm means they are likely to choose an easier target

That is my take on it

Gerry, I understand that some insurers make an alarm a condition of the insurance, but does that dictate it should be your primary defence?

In any case some Insurance specified alarms are unsuitable for use when the vehicle is occupied.

I would suggest that the sheer number of incidents of Motorhome attacks makes them unlikely to be from 'opportunist robbers'. The evidence is more likely pointing at individuals/gangs specifically working the areas. This is evidenced by one Alarm manufacturer's documentation which states their alarm will,

".. be of great value when wildcamping or on Aires where it is known that people will hang around looking for suitable “vulnerable” targets".

Such professional intruders may be used to 'working' inside an occupied van while the occupants sleep, and therefore be a little more used to being 'disturbed' so more brazen.

These 'robbers' won't usually know the difference (from the outside) between a van with a real alarm and a fake one, suggesting that a £5 fake flashing light will be as effective a 'deterrent' as a £600 alarm.

The intruders will be aware of alarm false triggering, especially when occupants are in the vehicle, so realise they are often not set.

Again the number of people that suffer theft, where they don't wake or wake too late, also supports that very few alarms are effective.

Either not working as designed, being inappropriate for a Motorhome or just not set.

I don't think I have ever read a Forum post where the occupants were woken by the alarm going off and frightening away the intruder?

There is no evidence that a fake alarm and lots of fake warning stickers will be any less a deterrent than a £600 'real' alarm, so obviously a good idea.

Sorry, but in our experience of repairing/installing electronics, most alarms are a waste of the huge amounts they cost.

Guest pelmetman
aandncaravan - 2018-04-11 4:24 PM

Few people take notice of Alarms.

Physical security, IMO, is a better option. Preventing access to the vehicle seems more sensible than alerting you to the fact the intruder is already next to the bed?

Deadlocks and the like are generally a better, lower cost, long term reliable solution that usually offers better real security.

As we know all too well, electric items have a habit of letting you down when you need them the most.

I agree with the advice above that starting with a safe area to stop should be the first part of your security strategy.

Yep I agree with the above based on 26.5 years of mohoing ;-) .......

We once had a full on cops & robbers shoot out on a campsite near the French/Belgium border after a visit to Brugge 8-) .......

Well that’s put the cat among the pigeons. I LIKE IT!!!

If you want to protect your investment you do all you can what ever it may be!!

I can remember pulling onto an air in Brittany mid afternoon no other motorhomes present, as it was early. But broken window/windscreen glass on the ground. Time to move on.

If you don't feel comfortable move on. YOUR SAFTY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.

Alarms or Chains and Padlocks you take your pick, but protect what you have or some thieving B_____D will try to take it.

I very much take the stance of Gerry McG when he say: "Robbers are generally opportunists and cowards who want to operate quietly without being disturbed and an alarm means they are likely to choose an easier target"

If someone thinks about breaking into my motorhome, whether it be on an aire, campsite or supermarket carpark, they can see that it is alarmed and they will go for an easier target.

At night there are flashing LED's on the dash to show that the alarm is activated, would this deter, to move them on to the easier target? Yes I think it would. It's like a burglar in the street where you live, you have an alarm box on the outside of your house that has a flashing LED at night, to show that it's not a dummy. Does the burglar pass you by? Well yes he goes to the easier target.

Just one more question. Those of you that don't have an alarm on your motorhome, Do you have an alarm on your house when you are away? I do and will continue to look after my property.

Someone mentioned not using deadlocks, as they would restrict exit in case of fire.

I agree with that, and carry it further by leaving the main entrance door unlocked, in case we were disabled by fire or fumes. If all doors are locked how can rescuers get to you? Same applies in the caravan: one door is always unlocked.

I should add that in our PVC I sleep tight to the door, so any thief would need to get over both me and our dog!

Entrance through the cab would be almost impossible as the beds block those doors too, and there is always something just ready to fall on your toe as you open the cab door!

At risk of being ridiculed, how far do you take security? I don't want to live my life surrounded by locks and bolts!

I have been visiting France since 1992, the last 20 years in a motorhome. Have never had any problems when parked up in Aires or camp sites but do make a judgement first. In 2015 I was parked in the public car park which serves the ferry which crosses the Gironde estuary. Cannot remember the name of the village. Had a few hours to wait so had a cycle ride. Only away for an hour and in that time the motor home was broken into through the habitation door by smashing the lock. An attempt had been made to lever off a side window. There were about 25 cars in the same car park. No alarm. No attempt to get through the cab doors but I do have factory fitted deadlocks. An unpleasant experience but we still motorhome in France. C'est la vie!

Right on queue, a new post on a break in to a Motorhome where an Alarm sounding didn't make a blind bit of difference in the theft of items.

However, the added physical security on the Habitation door held out and defeated the thieves from gaining entry through that door. See : http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Break-in-Avtex-AK86tm-TV-Bracket/49151/

As for being worried about Deadlocks trapping someone in a burning Motorhome, the odds have got to be about 5 million to 1?

These risks can be mitigated still further simply by installing a decent Smoke Alarm and Fire extinguisher, which most people say are essential items anyway.

If you are really, really paranoid about Fire in a Motorhome, then how about installing 4 Fire extinguishers and 3 smoke alarms? Surely that would reduce the effective risk to zero and not be an expensive option either?

Archived