Saga motorhome insurance

Knaus

I've not used them for vehicle insurance as their quote was extortionate, but I had breakdown insurance with them on the last van and found them very helpful when we broke down in Belgium on a Sunday evening.

We have my wifes car with Saga and not only were they a good price - not the cheapest but very close to all the unknowns that the Meerkats throw at you and when a lorry reversed into the car causing £3500 of damage when she had had it just a few weeks the were very quick and supportive, collecting the car and leaving a hire car (free) for the three weeks that it took to strip, get parts, rebuild and repaint, and deliver it back to us.

The paint work and panel gaps are impressive and the job comes with a lifetime (or for as long as we own it) warranty and the personal service from our own named adviser who kept us informed throught the work exemplary and exactly what an insurance company should give.

Saga also generally do well in the Auto Express insurance satisfaction survey.

Interesting that you both got competitive quotes from Saga. I tried them after getting frustrated with the online comparison sites and was quoted £655 (the range on the comparison sites was £260 - £390). Perhaps they just didn't like me.

Went with Axa in the end, through a local broker, for £370 with a lower excess and higher mileage limit.

Our experience with Sag, not so good

Had accident dec 2014, they took 6 hours to respond positively, then we had to arrange our own transport and hotel and hire car., Yes the car was repaired promptly, but we are still waiting for the case to be agreed, and still waiting for our excess money to come back

PJay

We have the car, motorhome and house with them. Only problem is each time the renewal comes in the price shoots up but a short chat on the phone soon sees it back down. Only twice had to claim both times for broken windscreens. Claims were handled efficiently. Big plus is that call center ic UK based by friendly staff speaking proper English and knowing what they are talking about rather than reading from a script.

I've never had one single quote from Saga remotely close to my renewal premium. I'm paying £258 fully comp with Scenic and Saga quoted almost £400!!! I'd love to know why their quotes are so high as it's certainly not my age and my post code is very low risk.

Bulletguy - 2016-05-20 12:19 PM

I've never had one single quote from Saga remotely close to my renewal premium. I'm paying £258 fully comp with Scenic and Saga quoted almost £400!!! I'd love to know why their quotes are so high as it's certainly not my age and my post code is very low risk.

Saga car insurance has been competitive for a while now but never the least expensive.

I too have never had a decent quote for Motorhome insurance and based on the experiences above I won't bother again anytime soon!

All insurance companies set their own goals and tend to be competitive for business they want, but far less so on business they don't really wan,t but feel they ought to be able to offer if only to say that they underwrite that class of business.

Or it may be that they were unlucky enough, in what is generally a lower risk class, to suffer more than one very expensive - generally third party injury - claims.

I guess we will never know!

Tracker - 2016-05-20 1:23 PM

Bulletguy - 2016-05-20 12:19 PM

Saga car insurance has been competitive for a while now but never the least expensive.

I too have never had a decent quote for Motorhome insurance and based on the experiences above I won't bother again anytime soon!

All insurance companies set their own goals and tend to be competitive for business they want, but far less so on business they don't really wan,t but feel they ought to be able to offer if only to say that they underwrite that class of business.

Or it may be that they were unlucky enough, in what is generally a lower risk class, to suffer more than one very expensive - generally third party injury - claims.

I guess we will never know!

One thing i do know i'm penalised on is having to state "divorced" to any company. It just seems very odd to me that a married person somehow presents a lower risk, especially when with a married couple both are usually on the policy where in my case there is only me!

Bulletguy - 2016-05-20 3:50 PM

One thing i do know i'm penalised on is having to state "divorced" to any company. It just seems very odd to me that a married person somehow presents a lower risk, especially when with a married couple both are usually on the policy where in my case there is only me!

That seems common throughout the insurance world and can only be based on claims experience - maybe across all motor nsurances rather than just motorhome. Back in the olden days when I quoted and wrote motor insurance, whilst it was not always cheaper - age dependent - it generally at worst cost no more to have man and partner on the insurance. Indeed I had my wife on ours even though she would never want to it just because it saved me a few quid!

Caravan Guard has always been reasonable for me. They offer a European breakdown cover combined with the insurance.

My wife never drives the motorhome so I looked at taking her off the policy. It would have gone up! The explanation was that If I fell ill she would be expected to drive the vehicle home. Without her the insurance would pay to transport the vehicle. I often travel alone.

My son's car insurance is cheaper if he adds a 40+ female to the policy. Bulletguy needs to find someone to "lend" him a wife at the time of his renewal.

Saga have been great for us.

£16500 worth of damaged caused by our shed roof being blown through the Moho side was repaired without question. 2 breakdowns have had help dispatched within reasonable time ( as fast as breakdown service could respond ).

We will stick with them for the van and the toad for the foreseeable future.

AliB - 2016-05-20 6:08 PM

My son's car insurance is cheaper if he adds a 40+ female to the policy. Bulletguy needs to find someone to "lend" him a wife at the time of his renewal.

I imagine you are probably joking, but I seriously wouldn't do that!

It would probably make no difference for a minor claim, which is what most are, but should the claim be total loss or theft or involve multiple injury claims, believe me they will investigate fully.

This is to make sure that you have not broken any rules and that your contract is therefore fully valid. They are running a business not a charity and some people do get it wrong either accidentally (no valid excuse) or deliberately (fraud). It's a harsh world out there so expect no sympathy if caught!

We've been with Saga for many years and so far have always had reasonable quotes. Just got the price of this years insurance through and it'd gone up from £317 to £360,

I rang them and said "if you'd like to save me shopping round for a better quote that would be helpful, otherwise, I will. The good lady came back and said she could reduce it to £330 which is just £13 more than last year, so quite happy with that.

AliB - 2016-05-20 6:08 PM

Caravan Guard has always been reasonable for me. They offer a European breakdown cover combined with the insurance.

My wife never drives the motorhome so I looked at taking her off the policy. It would have gone up! The explanation was that If I fell ill she would be expected to drive the vehicle home. Without her the insurance would pay to transport the vehicle. I often travel alone.

Oh i can't say i haven't been tempted to stick an imaginary one on as when i was married, no company ever asked for proof or detail of my wife and i very much doubt they do now. A friend of mine who is married sticks his wife on......yet she's never held a driving licence!!

I just think it's very discriminatory on baseless grounds.

The effect of adding a named driver does seem rather strange. When my son added his wife to his car insurance his premium went down significantly, despite the fact that she didn't have a driving licence at the time. When he wanted to add me so that we could share the driving on holiday it went up.

aandy - 2016-05-20 9:46 PM

The effect of adding a named driver does seem rather strange. When my son added his wife to his car insurance his premium went down significantly, despite the fact that she didn't have a driving licence at the time. When he wanted to add me so that we could share the driving on holiday it went up.

Yes it appears to be gender based which in itself is discriminatory and what today many would deem sexist! I wonder if two gay blokes who are married get a lower premium, or not?

It's also pretty damned archaic as a heck of a lot of heterosexual couples don't marry now.

Hello thanks for your comments. I have been quoted £231.68 fully comp (including legal cover and set up fee) for my 2015 Chausson Welcome 510 on Fiat ducato. We have no convictions, accidents or other penalties. It is insured in my name but the main driver is stated as the main driver 'cos I don't drive it that much.

Do you think this is a good deal and is the low cost down to the first time I have used Saga over 50's motorhome insurance.

Knaus - 2016-05-21 11:00 AM

Hello thanks for your comments. I have been quoted £231.68 fully comp (including legal cover and set up fee) for my 2015 Chausson Welcome 510 on Fiat ducato. We have no convictions, accidents or other penalties. It is insured in my name but the main driver is stated as the main driver 'cos I don't drive it that much.

Do you think this is a good deal and is the low cost down to the first time I have used Saga over 50's motorhome insurance.

Yes I think that's a good deal but is almost certainly a new customer offer, for which Saga are known, and may rise next year. You don't, however, say how many miles that covers you for and that makes a big difference to the cost. When renewing with Saga this year ( and when getting comparative quotes from other companies) there was almost £80 difference in premium between 4000 miles per annum and unlimited mileage.

My Saga renewal this year (year 6 with them) for a motorhome of similar age and value and unlimited mileage was £418.99 although that includes c. £95 for breakdown cover. They would not budge on price and the quote from Comfort was very nearly the same.

Knaus - 2016-05-21 11:00 AM

Yes i'd say it's dirt cheap for any 2015 van.

Hope you will return this time next year and tell us what your renewal is though.

• 3 months later...
I've just got off my butt and started getting more quotes after 10 years with Saga! The last straw is this years quote has risen from an already exorbitant £649 to £745. This morning,I had a conversation with a very nice Saga lady who brought this down to £685. Yes, I know that I should have acted years ago, but it was all so easy, paying quarterly by direct debit. I should have done the same as I have been doing with the AA for the last ten years - arguing for a reduction and getting it. However the first quote I have been given from the company who insure both our house and my wife's car is so low that it sounds too good to be true, £268. I'll carry on phoning around and put behind me, the thought of how much I could have saved over the last 10 years! The motorhome, by the way is a 2010 Adria SL Compact.

Sundowner - 2016-09-10 4:36 PM

I've just got off my butt and started getting more quotes after 10 years with Saga! The last straw is this years quote has risen from an already exorbitant £649 to £745. This morning,I had a conversation with a very nice Saga lady who brought this down to £685. Yes, I know that I should have acted years ago, but it was all so easy, paying quarterly by direct debit. I should have done the same as I have been doing with the AA for the last ten years - arguing for a reduction and getting it. However the first quote I have been given from the company who insure both our house and my wife's car is so low that it sounds too good to be true, £268. I'll carry on phoning around and put behind me, the thought of how much I could have saved over the last 10 years! The motorhome, by the way is a 2010 Adria SL Compact.

Hi Ernie

Have you tried Safeguard? They are good and it also includes overseas breakdown

Used to be with safeguard, but they are dearer than Safeguard now.

We have always found Saga expensive. Oh is still awaiting a claim to be settled on car from Dec 2014

with Saga. They have been a right pain in the B****

PJay

I suggest you also try Comfort insurance. We've been with them about 10 years with three different vans, always with breakdown included. The premium has always been competitive, the policy cover is written around motorhoming rather than being a car policy, and I've never had to 'phone them to get a more reasonable price. You speak to a well informed team, and if a question gets technical, can also get through directly to their underwriter. The policy is through AVIVA, and is almost identical to AVIVA's own vehicle insurances but with motorhome specific additions. The whole policy booklet is readable on Comfort's website. When getting a quote ring, don't use the internet site, as the staff take more into account in arriving at premiums than is feasible on a web questionnaire.

Sundowner - 2016-09-10 4:36 PM

I've just got off my butt and started getting more quotes after 10 years with Saga! The last straw is this years quote has risen from an already exorbitant £649 to £745.

Is your van made from solid gold with diamond studded tyres, or is there some other reason for these prices?

Archived