Sat Nav POI's

John NG5

Does anyone who gets around Europe using some form of satellite navigation ever put carparks without height restrictions as a POI ? I am trying to decide which one to buy and find that some cover carparks and petrol stations as press to find. I assume these carparks do not signify height or non-height limits. Is there a website for such info or have any members gone to the bother of collating such a list. Height barrier + angle grinder = space for motorhomes. ( I'm not a vandal really ) John 8-)

And Tom Tom 900 comes with car parks, camp sites, etc., already loaded. And you can spend a fortune downloading all the extras (speed cameras, etc), though many are free (such as camp sites). But beware - we went to a TomTom campsite in Berlin only to find it wasn't there and never had been there! So not all the info is accurate! TomTom's speed cameras are especially bad - often out of date and wrongly positioned - it's not much use getting the warning just after you've passed one!

We have a GARMIN GPS with POIs. Has a good amount of memory to save onto. Europe, USA and parts of Norway already installed! Try using a search engine for the town centre info of where you plan to visit then contact the tourist information bureua who might be able to help.

fjmike, I am relatively new to this forum and registered as a member to be able to aquire information, on questions or topics, about motorhoming! I see from your reply that POI's are available on the site listed but i'm not sure about the tone of your question ; "why dont you read it?". Is this a retorical question for idiots or just good advice. Thankyou for the info. John 8-)

Hi Briggsworth, Thanks for drawing attention to the POI down loads. I have already saved some of them to a file to download to Tom Tom. I have done this procedure before by 'drag and drop' but cannot remember, not can I find, where to 'drop' them on Tom Tom. Can you, or anyone else, remind me please. Many thanks, Roy.

Roy, Once you download the files you have to unzip them. They are generally either in .zip or .rar format. The POI website provides links to the relevant free software if you don't have it. You then have to copy the .ov2 file into the TomTom directory. You will probably have to refer to your manual for the particular directory or it will be the one that already has some .ov2 files in there. The .bmp file is the symbol used for the particular POI and will have the same name as the ov2 file. That is you need to transfer two files example.ov2 and example.bmp to TomTom. Once transferred disconnect the unit and check to see if the new POI is available for use. Here are a couple of sites that describe the operation in better detail. http://www.trademate.co.uk/services/branch/tomtomgo.pdf#search=%22TomTom%20POI%20directory%22 http://www.aplant.com/locator-downloads.aspx As an alternative to the manual operations (which are simple one you've done it) have a look at the TomTom website below: - http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=2009 Towards the bottom there is a link dnote.nl to a programme that says it will handle everything for you. I have not tried this so can't say how useful it might be. After all that you need to navigate to the POI marked BAR for refreshment. By the way a lot of these downloads all contain a particular location in Belgium (or Holland - can't remember). I came across a piece of software that converted spreadsheet files to TomTom format and it too added in this spurious location. Perhaps it is the TomTom factory or the programmer's house but apart from being a nuisance you can ignore it. It is possible to go in and delete it from the relevant files but its nothing to worry about. Good Luck :D 8-) :D

Archived