Scandinavian Tolls

johnfromnorfolk

We did a similar trip a few years ago and only paid bridge and ferry tolls, as these were all maned, road tolls were cameras and a nightmare to pay as all the outlets ,[ garages and a few shops were not interested in taking our money ] where we were supposed to pay, So we just waited till we got home about 4 months later and paid all tolls due on line in Sterling with no penalties, after receiving a letter telling us what we owed, all very easy.

We have a Bro bizz and works out quite a bit cheaper for us as we cross the Oresund bridge several times a year as our van is stored in Sweden for the winter, probably not worthwhile for one or two trips. We also use it on the ferry between Germany and Denmark but I think the cost is the same regardless. One thing about the Scandinavian tolls is if your van is over 6m then the toll cost increase quite a lot. We are 5.98m so have to ensure we are measured properly when passing through tolls. One Norwegian ferry collector insisted we were over 6m and used his feet to measure, he was not happy when I pulled the registration papers out that clearly stated 5.98m :-D It would have been more than double the cost if we had been unable to prove it. Basically if your under 6m then you pay the same as a car. BTW, we never came across anywhere in Norway that accepted Bro bizz but I think there are the occasional places that do.

...My experience differs dramatically, and I've set the figures out in the thread referenced above.

I found a significant saving for a return bridge(s) crossing, *but* my 'van is over 6m, and I did give a caveat that savings for a 'van shorter than this might be different (as the tolls themselves are lower).

In addition, the 'box' worked on every Toll we passed in Norway and Sweden (bar one, which I didn't expect it to, and wasn't subsequently billed directly either).

It makes sense to return the box asap, since this avoids a retention charge (and in my case and timings, the refund exceeded the postage cost as well).

Archived