Schaudt LRM 1218 regulator.

Jack

I'm looking to buy the above, has anyone any suggestions as to where I might try? I have had one price of £270 which was from a local dealer and I understood that price was from Brownhills, seems to me, that is crazy money!

Many thanks, Jack

We bought our Schaudt regulator from Brownhills but it was less than £100. Have you tried going direct to them (phone call should do it) asking their price as your dealer might be adding a bit. Failing that, google it and see where are selling them, you might find a cheaper one that way.

Hope this helps.

A quick Google search has thrown up this supplier at £172.37

http://www.wholesalesolar.co.uk/index.php/electronics-36706/duochargecontrollers-41585/schaudtchargecontrollerslrandlrm-42026/solar-charge-controller-schaudt-mpp-lrm-1218-12v.html

There may be others who are cheaper?

Keith.

Edit: But it seems there is the similarly named LR 1218 available for less than £100 so do not get parts confused. Here is Brownhills eBay offering at £79.14

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/181927621398?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006875&poi=&campaignid=620865095&device=c&adgroupid=27378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484326866&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Mine cost about £80 five years ago, from the guy who fitted my solar panels and I understand the current model has an upgraded current rating (but is otherwise the same) so I wouldn't expect to pay more than £100 today.  £270 sounds like the price for an Electroblok rather than a solar regulator - or maybe the local dealer is putting a greedy markup on it?

The Schaudt LRM 1218 is very different to the old LR 1218, not just in the fact it is MPPT rather than the LR1218's PWM, but it has much more sophisticated charging programs + the new BUS interface.

The LRM 1218 follows the latest thinking of a lower maintenance charge of 13.4v, not the usual regulators 13.8v, so shouldn't do the damage to the batteries that has recently been identified when the vehicle is not being used.

13.2v is allegedly the ideal and what Votronic stated they would adopt this year but don't know if they have yet. Victron Energy Solar regulators are now supposedly maintenance charging at 13.2v?

£270 does sound high, £180 is the normal retail price. We used to sell them at £139 and the LR 1218 at £69 but we don't do Solar any more.

Thanks for the replies.

The link to 'Wholesalesolar' is the only one I can find and given the comment from aandcaravan it is at a reasonable price. So without any further info I will contact that company.

I did contact Brownhill's direct and was told they don't sell that model!

Not sure if this has been asked previously but is there an alternative make which could be considered eg Victron? or would you loose some of the features of the Schaudt LRM such as the ease of fitting? (Or perhaps they are more expensive!!)

Jack - 2016-09-08 1:24 PM ... Not sure if this has been asked previously but is there an alternative make which could be considered eg Victron? or would you loose some of the features of the Schaudt LRM such as the ease of fitting? (Or perhaps they are more expensive!!)

Try contacting Solar Solutions.  They fitted my system and it's worked flawlessly.  Their prices are definitely competitive for good quality work.  Excellent when you ring them up for advice too.  If your MH has a Schaudt Electroblok then the advantages of integration by using a Schaudt regulator might outweigh any savings you might otherwise make.

Victron Energy make some very good Solar Regulators but if you have one of the Schaudt Elektroblocks listed on this page : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/lr-1218.php you risk the problems listed on that page by not using a Solar regulator with a Schaudt compatible Data output socket.

Votronic do build a range of excellent Solar Regulators that are compatible with the entire Schaudt Elektroblock range but do not have all the cable harnesses you get with a LR/LRM 1218. http://www.votronic.de/index.php/en/products2/solar-technology/charging-controllers/standard-version-sr/sr-220-duo-dig

The Schaudt cables supplied with a LR/LRM 1218 make installation a 15 minute Plug and Go job.

I think Votronic supply the Data output cable but the other wiring harnesses are not available yet?

It is not hard to make all the cable connections manually to the EBL wiring harness, but this can result in damage to the wiring or EBL. Especially when trying to identify a point for hooking in the Starter Battery charging.

Don't know how you got on, but we have just had a bulletin from Schaudt saying the LRM 1218 isn't available before end of October 2016!!

If you can't get an LRM 1218, have a look at the Votronic SR220 Duo :

http://www.votronic.de/index.php/en/products2/solar-technology/charging-controllers/standard-version-sr/sr-220-duo-dig

Unlike many dual battery regulators that try and split the charge 50/50, this Votronic is a proper Motorhome MPPT Solar regulator (similar spec to LRM1218) that gives the Motorhome Starter battery a pure maintenance charge so the Starter battery won't be cooked like it is getting in some Solar Installations.

It also has the current thinking for Habitation batteries of just 13.4v trickle/maintenance charge to prevent the premature failure of the Habitation batteries that is currently being witnessed.

I think there is also a larger version, but bear in mind most Elektroblocks will only support a MAX of 15amps through the Solar 3 pin socket.

I have a spare set of LRM 1218 leads to make the installation of the Votronic simpler, just plugs into the Elektroblock.

If you send us an prepaid envelope you can have them for free. If you drop us an email, just Google A and N Caravan Services and I will supply the address.

May I suggest anyone thinking of upgrading from the LR 1218 to the LRM1218 also goes down the Votronic route as you will already have the cables to make installation simple?

The info from aandncaravan is the info I was about to post! Spoke to Solar Solutions today and was told the LRM 1218 is not available at the moment seemingly there is a software update being released ? end of the year.

I have decided to just go for the LR model as I am a little concerned about Schaudt response if I were to use another manufacturer, (may not be a logical on my part)

I very much appreciate the offer of the LMR leads but I expect to get all the wiring harness when I order the LR unit.But once again thanks for the offer.

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Update and more help!

The solar panel (150w) and Schaudt LR 1218 regulator fitted. So far so good. How do you input the Hymer code into the DT 201 panel so it will show the input from the solar panel?

Many thanks,

Jack

You probably already know, but the EBL 101 is designed to handle all the power into and out of the Hab battery. Because it knows every little milliamp and volt it distributes or takes in from Alternator, Solar, etc it can calculate the battery bank size and work out how long the power will be available at any point in time.

So while you can set the battery bank size it is just a starting figure, it will work out the size it thinks the batteries are, in real terms not just the label on the battery top.

So don't be surprised if over the first few days, or even weeks, it seems to be 'faulty'. It will work things out.

Important not to connect anything directly to the battery though, otherwise it will skew the readout. If you need to connect a USB charger, or whatever, take it off a spare EBL Fuse/power point.

Regarding the comment about nothing should be wired directly to the battery. Does that mean that any additional accessory USB charger ,inverter etc would need special fittings to be plugged into the EBL? If so what are they called?

Jack

• 1 month later...

An update on the LRM 1218 Solar Regulator availability :

Still not available, ready mid December, but considering the delay already and as Schaudt virtually close down from around the 19th December to the 5th January that probably means mid January?

Suggest anyone requiring a Schaudt Solar regulator gets the Votronic listed earlier as it is compatible with the Elektroblock EBL range.

If anyone needs any Schaudt equipment, can we suggest you get the order in soon, so they can be serviced well before the Christmas shutdown. Last year the orders we put in over the Christmas break took over 3 weeks to arrive, due to a backlog from the Christmas 'shutdown'. The factory is open, but manned by a skeleton staff.

What also caught us by surprise last year was the number of orders we got from people over the Christmas break that had been planning to go abroad straight after Christmas. Many had left it late to 'prepare' and then discovered issues 'just a week before the Ferry sailed'.

The most common issues were failures caused by batteries past their best, where the true condition had been masked by the Solar Panel. The short days of Winter and low Solar charge meant the batteries discharged and were able to show their true state, giving the Electroblocks a good kicking.

May we suggest anyone who has the slightest suspicion about their battery, and is planning a big trip in January on a tight timescale, looks to a new battery now?

At £79 the one we suggest you get from Battery Mega Store is good insurance and a lot, lot less money and aggravation than an Elektroblock failure.

We don't sell batteries, so not a 'Pitch' to make a sale. See here for more info : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-charging-faults.php

• 3 weeks later...

We don't sell Solar Regulators any more, but because we have twice enquired about availability, Schaudt have shipped one to us this morning, even though we have not actually ordered one.

So if anyone wants this LRM1218 MPPT regulator with cable kit, email us.

We will hold on to it for 7 days, if no takers for it in that time we will return it to Germany.

We will sell it at cost, but price will be dependent on the exchange rate at the time, but I guarantee a lot less than that in the original post.

• 1 month later...

Hello, no sorry we sold it.

There was a seller of the MPPT LRM 1218 on ebay that was selling them for less than we buy them in, one of the reasons we stopped as we couldn't compete.

Just looked on ebay, someone selling LRM 1218's at £145, we pay 190€ with delivery to UK..

The Votronic range is quite a bit cheaper.

See the links in earlier responses.

Archived