September crossing to Spain

blaven

Advice please. I've not crossed to Santander or Bilbao for many years, but wish to drive down to visit friends near Malaga in my Murvi in early September. My intention is to take it easy, maybe a week on the way down, a week with my friends (don't want to overstay my welcome), and take a fortnight gradually returning to a Channel Port having crossed into France.

What would be the cheapest time period to book a single, one way ticket? Does the price vary with school holidays?

I'm a member of both Clubs and I think that some discounts are available, but if memory serves, the last time I enquired, they wanted payment for the full amount,-not just a deposit.

Have I already left it too late to book?

All advice gratefully received.

We booked over a year ahead to use ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao in September this year - but this was to get kennel space for our dog, which is in short supply.

We drove back through France and found it painless, so we wouldn't bother with the ferry to N Spain again.  We were lucky with calm weather but it was expensive.

Just playing around with Autoroute. I've assumed a start at Portree, driving 10:30 to 17:00 with a one hour lunch break. Via Portsmouth - Bilbao, total road distance 1,230 miles. Time from Portree to Portsmouth 2 days (640 miles). Time from Bilbao to Malaga 2 days (590 miles). Two fairly even legs by road, with the long ferry crossing taking up another day. So, 5 days travel min (depending on ferry departure/arrival times). Two one day breaks possible on the way down, presumably in conjunction with the two overnight stops.

Just for comparison, if you drove down. Total distance Portree to Malaga, 2,000 miles.

Option 1. Avoiding toll roads to minimise cost, but otherwise using the quickest route, via Dover - Calais (ferry or tunnel). Portree - Dover 2 days (680 miles). Calais - Malaga 4.5 days (1320 miles). So, about 6.5 days in all.

Option 2. Using toll roads to minimise time, via Dover - Calais (ferry or tunnel). Portree - Dover: no change. Calais - Malaga 4 days (1,275 miles). So, about 6 days in all.

Conclusion? A week to travel down via Portsmouth - Bilbao should be quite relaxed. A week to drive down via Dover Calais doable, and a possible day off mid way if you use the toll roads. Avoiding toll roads still doable, but less than a day to play with, so only feasible with shorter legs and possibly longer overnight halts to relieve the drive-sleep-drive routine. It all depends how much you value that (expensive!) night on the ferry, but all look to be achievable within 7 days.

blaven - 2017-12-11 5:03 PM

Advice please. I've not crossed to Santander or Bilbao for many years, but wish to drive down to visit friends near Malaga in my Murvi in early September. My intention is to take it easy, maybe a week on the way down, a week with my friends (don't want to overstay my welcome), and take a fortnight gradually returning to a Channel Port having crossed into France.

What would be the cheapest time period to book a single, one way ticket? Does the price vary with school holidays?

I'm a member of both Clubs and I think that some discounts are available, but if memory serves, the last time I enquired, they wanted payment for the full amount,-not just a deposit.

Have you checked if there is a place available on ferry? In September just gone, a friend of mine tried to book for next year, and found no spaces! Does have a 7 meter van, and a trailer

PJay

PJay - 2017-12-12 9:09 AM

Have you checked if there is a place available on ferry? In September just gone, a friend of mine tried to book for next year, and found no spaces! Does have a 7 meter van, and a trailer

PJay

Yes, and yes, but £530 one way with inboard bunk bed cabin. No good for us,- neither of us supple enough to get in and out of top bunk! So that’s that then!

PJay

Yes, and yes, but £530 one way with inboard bunk bed cabin. No good for us,- neither of us supple enough to get in and out of top bunk! So that’s that then!

Have to agree with you re bunks. I guess the other cabins are all taken, as my friend discovered, as they would not want bunks either. Re the cost, you have to weigh up , whether the cost is justified. I would say not, if you have the time to travel through France. and in your case down to Portsmouth

We can do the Spanish border in 2 days, but find 3 better, coming from Cherbourg. Good roads (nearly empty) Non toll roads . (I object to paying for roads already paid for by our taxes to EU)

It takes longer in Uk to travel per mile than on French roads.

PJay

• 2 weeks later...

Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Brittany Ferry economie crossing Tuesday 11 September - one way with 2-berth outside cabin (no bunks) for 2 people £415. (Motorhome up to 7m long and 3m high)

Edited to say - I've just seen you've got a Murvi, so if assume up to 6m long and 2.6m high the price comes down to £360.

Also worth saying one of the 'Clubs' will get you a discount on that, or ask on here for a BF discount code and I'd be surprised if one wasn't forthcoming.

mikebeaches - 2017-12-24 7:39 PM

Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Brittany Ferry economie crossing Tuesday 11 September - one way with 2-berth outside cabin (no bunks) for 2 people £415. (Motorhome up to 7m long and 3m high)

Edited to say - I've just seen you've got a Murvi, so if assume up to 6m long and 2.6m high the price comes down to £360.

Also worth saying one of the 'Clubs' will get you a discount on that, or ask on here for a BF discount code and I'd be surprised if one wasn't forthcoming.

Thank you for that. My understanding of the economie crossing is that the vehicles are on a deck not protected from the elements, (I may be wrong), but if this is the case, my old van’s rusty enough without being subject to a Biscay drenching in September. Happy to be corrected on this?

blaven - 2017-12-25 12:24 PM

Thank you for that. My understanding of the economie crossing is that the vehicles are on a deck not protected from the elements, (I may be wrong), but if this is the case, my old van’s rusty enough without being subject to a Biscay drenching in September. Happy to be corrected on this?

Sorry, I can't help with that - you may be right. We haven't used the Economie crossing. It might be worth inquiring with BF.

The so-called 'cruise-class' ferries appeared to have availability also, but obviously slightly more expensive. We are going again next year from Plymouth to Santander, on the Pont Aven.

Hope you get sorted in any case.

mikebeaches - 2017-12-25 10:03 PM

Sorry, I can't help with that - you may be right. We haven't used the Economie crossing. It might be worth inquiring with BF.

The so-called 'cruise-class' ferries appeared to have availability also, but obviously slightly more expensive. We are going again next year from Plymouth to Santander, on the Pont Aven.

Again, thanks. I’ve just re-checked BF website. Both ships involved with Economie crossings admit to having to carry a ‘small number ‘ of cars on the upper, unprotected deck. I suppose there’s no way of knowing whether one ‘s going to be unlucky in that respect.

Largely academic now as I’ve booked a crossing Portsmouth-Cherbourg, and will drive down. Thank you all for your input. One learns a great deal here.

blaven - 2017-12-26 10:18 AM

Again, thanks. I’ve just re-checked BF website. Both ships involved with Economie crossings admit to having to carry a ‘small number ‘ of cars on the upper, unprotected deck. I suppose there’s no way of knowing whether one ‘s going to be unlucky in that respect.

Largely academic now as I’ve booked a crossing Portsmouth-Cherbourg, and will drive down. Thank you all for your input. One learns a great deal here.

Thanks, I hadn't spotted that, and as you say, you can't know in advance if your camper would be parked on deck and open to the elements in the Bay.

Anyway, glad you have a booking in place - Portsmouth - Cherbourg will be a relatively short crossing. Have a great trip.

blaven - 2017-12-12 12:07 PM

PJay - 2017-12-12 9:09 AM

PJay

When faced with a similar, unexpected, situation, I put the top bunk mattress on the floor and had a good night’s sleep.

I take it you are on the "Fast Cat" service?

You have to back on to the ferry at both Portsmouth and Cherbourg. But worth it for a 3 hour crossing

PJay

PJay - 2017-12-27 12:43 PM

Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Brittany Ferry economie crossing Tuesday 11 September - one way with 2-berth outside cabin (no bunks) for 2 people £415. (Motorhome up to 7m long and 3m hi

You have to back on to the ferry at both Portsmouth and Cherbourg. But worth it for a 3 hour crossing

PJay

Thanks. Yes I knew. Happily, reversing the van holds no terrors for me. As I get older most tasks get more difficult but strangely, this one does'nt. I'm better in the van than in the car!

blaven - 2017-12-27 1:49 PM

PJay - 2017-12-27 12:43 PM

Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Brittany Ferry economie crossing Tuesday 11 September - one way with 2-berth outside cabin (no bunks) for 2 people £415. (Motorhome up to 7m long and 3m hi

PJay

Thanks. Yes I knew. Happily, reversing the van holds no terrors for me. As I get older most tasks get more difficult but strangely, this one does'nt. I'm better in the van than in the car!

My OH is also better at reversing the van , than the current car we have, and he has passed the advanced drivers test in car, though several years ago now. !!

PJay

Archived