Sim Card

harry the horse

Hello all. Finally retired after 51 years. Motorhomed for the last 20 yrs in France,Switzerland, Italy, & Germany for about a month at a time. Now can go for longer. Just fitted Gaslow cylinders. Got the apps for locating GPL refill points.

Now what's the Sim card to get to these via the net apart from wifi. Heading for Spain in April.

Thanks all in anticipation.

Harry.

Also can't quite understand the question........................you can get local Sims which may be cheaper but more complicated................................3 with Feel at home is the easiest option. You will need an unlocked

Mi Fi

ALthough we have a PAYG contract I think these 12 g for 12 months cards are definitely the way to go..............post back if you need to know more

Three data sim is your best bet can be used in 42 countries outside the UK, allow tethering. Can be used for up to 60 days at a time outside the UK then need to be used in the UK to reset.

Available for £24 for 12GB that lasts 12 months and Amazon do as special (not on offer at the moment) 24GB for 24 months for £28.

If going away for more than 60 days take 2 or 3 and swap them after 59 days.

There are different options with Three, hence the mention of Feel at Home and MiFi. 

Three used to give everyone Feel at Home but no longer on the cheapest SIM deals - but mine is £15 pcm for 4Gb plus unlimited calls and texts and that allows Feel at Home.  Feel at Home allows calls and data within your normal allowance in lots of countries (inc France and Spain) but you cannot tether.  I manage well enough using my IPhone for mail, browsing etc so the tethering restriction isn't really a problem.

A Three data sim deal (with a MiFi or equivalent) presumably does allow tethering but check before you buy.  I've not tried these.

I've had excellent reception from Three throughout France.

We have just used a 3 data sim from MyMemory £23.85, 12gb, lasts for 12 months if used once in 6 months. We spent a week in Portugal and used it all the time on an IPad, used less than 2gb but again it is data only but obviously you can use Skype or similar if you want to contact family or friends back home.

We are on O2 for regular smartphone use but at £1.99 per day its expensive in Spain. So bought a free 3Mobile sim and loaded with £10 which gives 1Gb data and sufficient calls/text for our use in Spain now. Bought at a 3 Shop, very simple but must use it first in the UK to activate it. Can top up via the web without an account just using UK registered credit card and the number.

Cannot be tethered and they do send more than enough adverts to you via text.

Certainly cheaper than O2 but maybe not the best.

Suggest you keep checking when the Roaming charges are going to be cancelled (as required by EU) then O2 should be cheaper.

Matrix Meanderer - 2017-01-27 3:57 PM

We are on O2 for regular smartphone use but at £1.99 per day its expensive in Spain. So bought a free 3Mobile sim and loaded with £10 which gives 1Gb data and sufficient calls/text for our use in Spain now. Bought at a 3 Shop, very simple but must use it first in the UK to activate it. Can top up via the web without an account just using UK registered credit card and the number.

Suggest you keep checking when the Roaming charges are going to be cancelled (as required by EU) then O2 should be cheaper.

You can tether but they cut you off after about 30 min, if you change networks you get another 30min.

The data sims give full tethering and work out very cheap.

lennyhb - 2017-01-27 4:38 PM

You can tether but they cut you off after about 30 min, if you change networks you get another 30min.

Thanks Lenny - worth knowing. The 3 Mobile shop staff of course do not tell you that they just say - no tethering permitted. Obviously their in house training does not include the paying customer's work around!

Will probably buy a data only sim next time.

Matrix Meanderer - 2017-01-28 10:24 AM

Thanks Lenny - worth knowing. The 3 Mobile shop staff of course do not tell you that they just say - no tethering permitted. Obviously their in house training does not include the paying customer's work around!

Buy your sim from MyMemory.co.uk £23.85 at the moment for 12gb and 12 months use AFTER activating.

Randonneur - 2017-01-28 1:37 PM

Matrix Meanderer - 2017-01-28 10:24 AM

Buy your sim from MyMemory.co.uk £23.85 at the moment for 12gb and 12 months use AFTER activating.

Thanks but as I understand it the roaming charges in all EU countries must end on 15 June 2017. See this site for info: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/roaming-tariffs

So its only worth buying a sim that will expire by that date and then we should all be able to use our normal home smartphone sim.

Slowly the nonsense of Brexit sinks in....................................we will be leaving the EU and you can be sure

that the telecom companies as well as the insurance companies will sting us for whatever they can "for usage

in a foreign country"

We get these benefits at the moment because it is European Law.................

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mel B - very informative article. Must admit, I hadn't noticed it in the Fun "member only area". Good explanation of how the time limitations are calculated when using abroad.

Re the preloaded data SIM - if you want to carry a reserve preloaded SIM, do you have to use it initially in the UK or can you just plug it in abroad when the first one exceeds the 2 month "feel at home" limit?

As a non user of any modern electronic gadgets apart from an old Mbl phone for texting only.

I'm intrigued and puzzled by all the gadgetry that's talked of. Its possible I may drive to Germany in June, if so I would go as I always have done ... with a map a Satnav and common sense. And not the Mbl phone.

No one needs to know where I am or what I'm doing or when I return. I don't need to contact anyone and I don't own a watch. I very simply go, do what's to do and return when the task is done. I eat when hungry and find accommodation wherever. Fuel is available anywhere.

Will someone kindly explain the advantages of all this modern stuff.

Will

Will86 - 2017-02-11 3:05 PMAs a non user of any modern electronic gadgets apart from an old Mbl phone for texting only. I'm intrigued and puzzled by all the gadgetry that's talked of. Its possible I may drive to Germany in June, if so I would go as I always have done ... with a map a Satnav and common sense. And not the Mbl phone.No one needs to know where I am or what I'm doing or when I return. I don't need to contact anyone and I don't own a watch. I very simply go, do what's to do and return when the task is done. I eat when hungry and find accommodation wherever. Fuel is available anywhere.Will someone kindly explain the advantages of all this modern stuff. Will

To you, none at all.  Fortunately they are not compulsory!

Mel B - 2017-02-11 10:16 AM

I did an info sheet about Three's offerings on another forum, not sure if I'm allowed to post it here but I'll try:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

If you can't access it drop me a pm.

Hi Mel

Great to see another Gloebcar in East Yorkshire! I think we are a rare breed in these parts.

Yes, modern smartphones ARE more like handheld computers than phones, so the advantage is that you can take them everywhere with you and can still post to the forum or do whatever you do at home on your laptop.

Steve Jobs changed the world. For the better. :)

Robbo - 2017-02-11 1:53 PM

Thanks Mel B - very informative article. Must admit, I hadn't noticed it in the Fun "member only area". Good explanation of how the time limitations are calculated when using abroad.

Re the preloaded data SIM - if you want to carry a reserve preloaded SIM, do you have to use it initially in the UK or can you just plug it in abroad when the first one exceeds the 2 month "feel at home" limit?

You can activate the sim in the UK if you want but there's no need to do so as you can do it abroad too which is ideal if you're going to be away for 4 months for example so you just active the second one when the first one stops working and/or you use up all the data.

Will86 - 2017-02-11 3:05 PM

As a non user of any modern electronic gadgets apart from an old Mbl phone for texting only.

I'm intrigued and puzzled by all the gadgetry that's talked of. Its possible I may drive to Germany in June, if so I would go as I always have done ... with a map a Satnav and common sense. And not the Mbl phone.

No one needs to know where I am or what I'm doing or when I return. I don't need to contact anyone and I don't own a watch. I very simply go, do what's to do and return when the task is done. I eat when hungry and find accommodation wherever. Fuel is available anywhere.

Will someone kindly explain the advantages of all this modern stuff.

Will

oh the irony :-D

As a electronic numpty could anyone please take the time to explain something to me?

If I bought a 3 data Sim card from MyMemory, as mentioned earlier in this thread, when I get the card what do I do next?

I want to fit it in my 3G Mobile Wifi device and use alongside our Ipad in France later this year – does it just slot in and work or do I have to activate it?

Spireite - 2017-02-16 7:36 PM

As a electronic numpty could anyone please take the time to explain something to me?

If I bought a 3 data Sim card from MyMemory, as mentioned earlier in this thread, when I get the card what do I do next?

I want to fit it in my 3G Mobile Wifi device and use alongside our Ipad in France later this year – does it just slot in and work or do I have to activate it?

Just put mine in my ipad and registered it and away it went. Used it in Portugal recently.

Archived