Skin allergy in Motorhome

canvaswind

For the last 3 years, I have suffered from skin rashes (similar to eczema) within 24 hours of using our small motorhome. I am advised that the rash is almost certainly an allergic reaction to something in the van. The rash disappears after 2-3 days of returning home! This summer has been worse than other years. We have taken all precautions we can think of to eliminate the cause (eg dust mites, feather duvets etc.). The only product which we haven't investigated is Methyl Fumarate, a fungicide used in the furniture trade to prevent mould growth when in store.

Medical advice has been extensively sought – their suggested solution is to sell the motorhome! Has any body had similar experience or can offer an explanation to my problem? Please contact 07799 51 83 92.

Hi,

I don't know the answer but recently on watchdog they highlighted a problem with some suites of furniture that apparently were causing skin rashes/irritation problems.

I think they isolated the cause down to the stuff that is used to stop mold/damp etc I think it was suggested that those little bags of granules that you find in some packaging was possible the cause of the problem, it may be worth checking if you have any of these buried within the furniture

hope that helps, albeit i may have missunderstood the TV programme I am sure someone will come along and correct me

HI JUST FOUND A LINK TO THE SUBJECT, Hope it helps

http://www.rjw.co.uk/news-events/press/bbc-watchdog-investigates-sofa-allergy-allegations

canvaswind - 2008-09-06 3:35 PM

For the last 3 years, I have suffered from skin rashes (similar to eczema) within 24 hours of using our small motorhome. I am advised that the rash is almost certainly an allergic reaction to something in the van. The rash disappears after 2-3 days of returning home! This summer has been worse than other years. We have taken all precautions we can think of to eliminate the cause (eg dust mites, feather duvets etc.). The only product which we haven't investigated is Methyl Fumarate, a fungicide used in the furniture trade to prevent mould growth when in store.

Medical advice has been extensively sought – their suggested solution is to sell the motorhome! Has any body had similar experience or can offer an explanation to my problem? Please contact 07799 51 83 92.

Hi Canvaswind, I have the same problem if I go to the NEC, from my ankles up to my knees. My Doctor thinks it may be what ever they use to clean their carpets, and gets up my trouser legs with the dust or vapour. Eurax ointmant cures it but you can't use that every time you go out with your van. When I go to the NEC now I wear 'longjohns' and discard them when I get back to the 'van. Sorry but that is no help to you unless you try having your 'van thoroughly re-cleaned in case you have a cleaner or something nasty left in the fabrics. When I change 'vans I have the NEW (preloved) 'van cleaned by an upholstery cleaner. I use our local "Chem-dry" man, who just happens to be my Son-in-law, perhaps you could try that & see how it goes...........

The above reply stating the program regarding allergies was found to be in the cheaper leather or do they call it leatherette. This caused cracking and burn like problems. Very serious and some look like rashes. Cleaning by a reputable company as stated above using a low chemical solvent, more steam preferably would certainly be a good starting point. Should this fail maybe the valeters could seal the upholstery. Auto glym and other companies offer such a service.

Can you not get patch tests done??? This would at least identify the culprit (hopefully) What would also be useful if you could make a note of how soon the rash apears and what exactly you came into contact with. Have you tried taking anti-histamines before and during van usage, to see if this helps????

Also used in furniture etc is formaldehyde which a lot of people are allergic to!

About 4-5 years ago I discovered that certain foams and upholstery were giving medical disorders. We had purchased a new mattress at a time that coincided with my illness.

The furnishing industry has had numerous scientific tests conducted so it might be worth checking, using 'keywords' on the internet. It was quite disturbing to discover the amount of investigation at the time. Carpets can also give problems due to moth larvae. So it may definitely be worth having the interior fumigated professionally.

Thanks for your reply and everybody else.

Do you have any information on the chemicals (fire redardent etc) used in the furniture trade - I am becoming convinced that my problem is associated with the foam or fabric on our seats which were renewed in spring this year?

Does anybody know where I can get my foam and a fabric tested particularly when is it subjected to body heat - also I'm looking for a competent allergy clinic within reach of Oxford?

You said in your original post that you had been suffering for the last 3 years and in your last post you say that you had the upholstery re-done last year, so, using logic, if the foam was not changed just the fabric then it could be the foam. If that is the case, why not try to cut a very small piece of the foam out (most upholsterers use zips for ease of getting the covers on - not for us to take off), you could then put it against your skin trapping it on your arm with a bandage or something. Leave for a couple of hours and if a rash appears then you know its the foam.

My Son (now 35) had a similar thing when he was 5 years old, I had bought 2 new tops for him from C&A, he came out in a rash on his upper body only. We phoned the Doctor and he said it was probably an allergy to the fields at the back where he had been playing but again logic prevailed and because it was only on his upper body this would not have been the case, it was the finishing agent that they had used on the fabric when it had been dyed, after washing a couple of times they were ok. Obviously you can't do this with upholstery but it could be cleaned naturally. I am sure that there are Companies out there who use natural products.

In your case its a process of ellimination, if you can get at any of the foam then that is a start. If it is the foam then it would save the cost of allergy testing which I believe is quite expensive privately and difficult to get on the NHS.

Good luck in your search, I am sure that you will get there in the end.

Archived