Snow chains for Ducato maxi

slowdriver

Thinking of getting some snow-chains for my Ducato based camper-van (on a maxi chassis).

It's two-wheel, front-wheel drive.

How many snow chains are necessary to meet the requirements for mountain areas in Europe, is it a set of two for the drive wheels, or is a set of four required to meet the local requirements.?

slowdriver - 2021-11-25 6:23 PM

Thinking of getting some snow-chains for my Ducato based camper-van (on a maxi chassis).

Sorry can't answer how many reqd You don't mention tyre size but just saw these HD 16mm chains and theres fitting for 15" an 16" wheels

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-part-accessories/snow-chains-for-motorhome/1392155042

slowdriver - 2021-11-25 6:23 PM

It's two-wheel, front-wheel drive.

How many snow chains are necessary to meet the requirements for mountain areas in Europe, is it a set of two for the drive wheels, or is a set of four required to meet the local requirements.?

If you think you'll only need chains for improved traction, then one pair will provide that. If, on the other hand, you think you need chains for improved control on icy surfaces, and especially for descending hills, I would suggest a full set of 4. There are restrictions on when you can drive on chains, and restrictions on when you can drive without. Some of these are blanket (national) restrictions, others apply at varying times of year on individual roads. Most countries ban the use of chains on roads that are clear of snow/ice. So, you will need chains that are easy to fit/remove (and know how to do this) as, if you catch the wrong road, on the wrong day, you may need to fit/remove the chains more than once in the day.

Don't forget also to check that your tyres are legal for the time of year in the country in which you will be driving.

I can only add that a motorhome which develops a wayward rear end on ice can be "interesting"!! 8-)

I too have been looking at snow chains and socks as one or the other is now a legal requirement in parts of Europe. I’m leaning towards the Michelin Evolution composite snow chains. They conform to the required standard EN16662-1:2020 and seem easier to fit than some others. I need Evo 17 for our Adria Twin but I’m looking for a ‘bricks & mortar’ stockist to see before I buy.

I would agree that only two are mandatory – one each for the drive wheels.

Cattwg :-D

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-26 1:28 PM

So, you will need chains that are easy to fit/remove (and know how to do this) as, if you catch the wrong road, on the wrong day, you may need to fit/remove the chains more than once in the day.

I can only add that a motorhome which develops a wayward rear end on ice can be "interesting"!! 8-)

Once upon a time in Norway, I put chains on 4 times in the same day. One of those occasions was to drive only about 100m to get out of a tricky dead end side road. Putting them on/off takes no time at all once you get used to it.

The truth is, you don't really need chains to drive on snow and ice. But, when you're forced to stop on a hill, getting enough traction to start moving again can be impossible. Avoid stopping at all cost. Driving with chains on constantly is no fun at all. Not to mention they can damage the tyres as well as the road.

Re: rear end sliding around. Handbrake turns on ice in a van are a lot of fun. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-26 12:28 PM

The last "interesting" thing I need at my age is to develop a wayward rear end.

I was thinking of getting some Weissenfels Automatika S chains from Snowchains.uk - they are suitable for a Ducato maxi my 215/75 R16CP wheels/tyres, and look to be relatively easy to fit. Does anyone have any experience of these on their van? (See video)

https://snowchains.co.uk/product/?brand=Weissenfels&model=Automatika-S&pID=S897&p=S

Archived