So many decisions for motorhomes

AndyC

Hi all,

First post. We have been camping for a few years now but deciding now is the time to invest in a motorhome. We have hired during the kids October holidays for the past 2 years and enjoyed.

We have looked about seen a Euramobil 660 hs and the Bailey's 665. Just looking to see if anyone has had or still has one of these and what are their views on them. We are of course not set on these 2 so if you have other options.....

We are a family of 4, but would like rear lounge and possibly s 6 berth with 6 belts.

Thanks

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Andy.

For advice on what alternatives to the Eura Mobil and Bailey models might suit your requirements, I believe you’ll need to state roughly what you are prepared to spend.

Regarding the Eura Mobil, as you are looking for a ‘family’ motorhome I assume you are referring to the Profila 660 HB model that was built on a Ford Transit front-wheel-drive platform-cab chassis. Two versions were produced - one on a Transit Mk 6 chassis with 2.0litre motor (1st attached image below) and a later variant on a Transit Mk 7 chassis with 2.2litre motor (2nd attached image).

I suggest you avoid the Mk 6 chassis version, but you’d need to be VERY careful with either 660 HB regarding usable payload when 4 people are onboard as the vehicles’ Maximum Authorised Mass(MAM) is 3500kg.

6 berths/6 belts motorhomes tend to be large and tend to be heavy, so, realistically, you would probably need to have a motorhome with a MAM over 3500kg. For that weight you’d also require a C1 driving-licence entitlement.

1142684061_1-EuraMobilProfila660HB.jpg.a8bafc7e55328cb42915b286633316d1.jpg

178375441_2-EuraMobilProfila660HB.jpg.673bda22e81c604a0628d32d4d044d42.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-17 1:45 PM

Regarding the Eura Mobil, as you are looking for a ‘family’ motorhome I assume you are referring to the Profila 660 HB model that was built on a Ford Transit front-wheel-drive platform-cab chassis. Two versions were produced - one on a Transit Mk 6 chassis with 2.0litre motor (1st attached image below) and a later variant on a Transit Mk 7 chassis with 2.2litre motor (2nd attached image).

Derek,

I found an advert for a Euramobil 660 HS on eBay which is a six berth on a fiat 2.3 and plated to 4,000 kg so would definitely require a C1 license.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Euramobil-660HS/323548550774?hash=item4b54ff1676:g:LZUAAOSwO7db61EG

Keith.

That is the very one Keith. I do have C1 and C1E on my licence, yeah I got my licence that long ago (lol) (lol) . I never saw it on ebay it was on preloved, which turned out to be Motorhome Department that were selling it. Not sure what sellers are okay to buy from. I will probably have to travel a bit coming from Glasgow though :)

Spending limit would be 25k-35k.

AndyC,

So many decisions sums it up in one! You suggest 'invest' I would suggest that for many its the complete opposite and can be a bottomless money box.

When you hire its a set and sealed action where the cost is based over a set time for a set purpose.

Buying may sound additionally exciting because you can do it all the time whenever you want, but there are from then on running costs. Are you a hands on mechanical minded person, it helps if you are of course.

Andy before you buy you really need to have a look around as many dealers as you can an be sure on layout also you say 6 seats you need to check payload on vans because as already mentioned with 6 people on board you may not have weight allowance to carry any thing else people + gas,fuel,water all adds to payload

AndyC - 2019-05-17 12:09 PM

We are a family of 4, but would like rear lounge and possibly s 6 berth with 6 belts.

Thanks

I may be mistaken but I think the Eurmobile 660HS has four belted seats not six.

BruceM - 2019-05-17 4:41 PM

AndyC - 2019-05-17 12:09 PM

Thanks

I may be mistaken but I think the Eurmobile 660HS has four belted seats not six.

Looking at the third photo on the eBay advert I would have to agree!

You can clearly see the upper belt anchorage on the forward facing seat but no sign of any anchorage on the rearward facing seat.

Keith.

For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure the Eura Mobil motorhome in the advert is a Terrestra A 690HS, not a 660HS.

“HS” is Eura Mobil speak for a rear-lounge layout and (as has been pointed out above) the 690HS has 4 belted seats.

Which Motorcaravan magazine reviewed the model in 2007

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/eura-mobil-terrestra-a-690hs/898548

Woah, just relooking at the pictures and l can see that is is only 4 belts. I am slightly tech minded but l nothing about stripping engines down to rebuilt or anything. I do a lot of races be it ?? or triathlons. So this would also hopefully be cheaper than hotels. We would like to travel some of Europe with the kids. The 6 seats was more so for room rather than people. See when you say payload (the newbie question) what exactly do you mean? Or point me in the direction. The motorhome we had last year had was a 6 berth but was a fixed double rear bed and the 4 of us had virtually no room. The year before we hired the Autoquest 196 and it was lovely and roomy. That was nice but 2nd hand out our price range.

You might want to obtain the following publication

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/store/reader-offers/a-guide-to-buying-your-first-motorhome-february-2019/

and this one for useful technical background

https://haynes.com/en-gb/motorcaravan-manual-3rd-edition

Looking at a “Which Motorcaravan” listing of motorhomes available in the UK in 2007 indicates that only a handful were said to have a rear-lounge layout, 6 berths and 6 belted seats. One was the CI Carioca 746

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/buyers-guide/motorhomes/details/746/3879

and a couple of examples are advertised here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Ducato-CI-Carioca-746-6-Berth-Motorhome/202678956890?hash=item2f309b735a:g:HlAAAOSw5e9czMX~

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/fiat-ducati-2.3-deisle-ci-carioca-746-6-berth/1332271233

Rear-lounge motorhomes are relatively uncommon but (in 2007) there was a reasonable number with that layout having (like the Eura Mobil) 6 berths and 4 belted seats. So, if you don’t anticipate actually NEEDING more than 4 belted seats, you’d have more choice.

Having said that, for around £25K the 2007 Eura Mobil model referred to above looks interesting. It’s the right weight (4000kg) and the methods used to build it originally were high-tech. I note that it had a new gearbox recently, has a full service history and would have a 6 months warranty (though it would be essential to confirm what that warranty covers). The motorhome would need to be checked over very carefully (it is after all 12 years old) but - on paper at least - it seems worth considering.

Thanks Derek, very useful information. I am a member of the camping and caravanning club and did not realise about the MMM publications. That motorhome you have posted is the kind of one we are looking at

Archived