Solar panels

Steffan

• 2 weeks later...

We went down a different route - there is a lot of stuff to think about when having a solar panel fitted.

What wattage do you need, what type, where to put it, how to wire it in, which regulator to use, how do you use your van, what setup do you have now? - would a generator actually be a better option - all these factors heavily impact upon what we went for.

As a bonus - it taught me all about volts, watts, and amps which is something I had until that point gladly avoided. Generally useful stuff.

Took a lot of advice from aandcaravans via this forum - http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/. The posts will be here somewhere.

In the end we followed the advice, - I specified what I wanted to an installer, who came recommended and has been proven locally, the panel went on the roof, wiring fixed in place, MPPT regulator etc placed adjacent to the leisure batter. - Aware of the shortcomings - such as you can still finish up with a flat battery as over long time it might not replace all you take out - You are seeing what's going in from the van, not the true battery levels, also the possibility of it hitting the batteries slightly harder than is good for them, - saying that over the past 9 months since fitting we have had no problems at all, and prior it was a constant concern because we keep the van in store away from any 240v charging points.

I have fitted solar panels to my various Motorhomes since 2005. A total of five panesl two 90's and three 40's the sizes to accommodate the roof space.

All linked together with 4mm solar rated cable to a junction box on the roof from there 6mm cable to Mppt controller charging 2 100amp batteries. I replace the batteries every four years as we are away for long periods of time abroad as a precaution.the batteries I took out in 2013 are still serviceable in my friends van

Also fitted with solar panels 80 watt so are around eight years old although are at around 60% efficient now.

So from personal experience I have not found charging via Solar shortens the life of batteries. I have set the Mppt controller at a Maximum 14.4 volts and very rarely use hook up. But the batteries are not allowed to run down as low voltage is not good for them. LED lights Oyster dish, 19" tv, Alde heating. I have a 2000 watt inverter for the micro wave but this runs from the engine battery, it can run for up to 20 mins without affecting starting the van. When fitting a panel use mounting brackets that will keep the panel up off the surface of the roof so air can circulate underneath. As the warmer a panel gets the less efficient it becomes.

Archived