Some pics from Islay/Jura/Uist/Harris and Lewis

veletron

Brock - 2017-08-17 10:03 AM

Thanks for the route and the stunning photos which give a feel for the isles.

Yes they are very good photo's and having toured there myself some years ago i enjoyed looking through them.

I'd like to ask "Veletron" what he used to 'draw' his map route? I've always wanted to do something similar on my tours but never got round to figuring what you use on the pc to do it.

Cheers for the comments folks

Re the map - Its live - I have an android headunit in the van which runs a 10quid app that just logs datapoints to spotwalla (a free GPS tracking platform).

It started logging in April IIRC. Spotwalla has privacy area's so the tracklog will never pinpoint either your home street or current van location - I have it setup to place the van within a 1KM radius of its current location. Once the vehicle moves again, the dynamic safe zone is removed so that the datapoint shifts to its correct location.

See http://www.veletron.com - where's the van been - my beginnings of a blog thats only got a single article thus far!

BTW - to do something similar, you can just run spotwalla on a smartphone - it only logs points every 10 mins, so is not hard on the phones battery.

Nigel

veletron - 2017-08-17 4:43 PM

Cheers for the comments folks

Re the map - Its live - I have an android headunit in the van which runs a 10quid app that just logs datapoints to spotwalla (a free GPS tracking platform).

It started logging in April IIRC. Spotwalla has privacy area's so the tracklog will never pinpoint either your home street or current van location - I have it setup to place the van within a 1KM radius of its current location. Once the vehicle moves again, the dynamic safe zone is removed so that the datapoint shifts to its correct location.

See http://www.veletron.com - where's the van been - my beginnings of a blog thats only got a single article thus far!

BTW - to do something similar, you can just run spotwalla on a smartphone - it only logs points every 10 mins, so is not hard on the phones battery.

Nigel

Ah i see now. Thanks for the info but as a non-smartphone user that's me out!!

From your description i remember something very similar. I'd made an online purchase and the delivery company sent a link to check the progress of your package but it was more than the usual 'timeline' type, it displayed a map and showed exactly where the van driver was at whatever time you accessed it. I literally watched my package arriving! It was really excellent.

Archived