Sorry sorry tyre valves again

dawki

Hi all I know it’s been covered many times but I need new valves to go with my new tyres that I have ordered

I Have searched the forum and found several links but they no longer work

I need valves for my Sprinter Alloys so If anybody has a link to show me what size valves I need so I can buy them

I’ve gone round and and round and don’t really know what I’m looking at now so any help very much appreciated

If I remember correctly, the inflation pressure used for the Mercedes Sprinters is normally relatively low (say not higher than 65psi) for which ordinary ‘car-type’ rubber snap-in valves should be adequate.

If you said what tyre-pressures you use and what type of tyre-valves (rubber snap-in or metal clamp-in) are currently fitted to your motorhome's alloy wheels, it might be practicable to offer more focused advice.

Is there a particular reason for you needing to source the tyre valves yourself? If the present valves are ordinary rubber snap-in type, any tyre-fitting outlat should have valves of a suitable length in stock.

Hi Derek and many thanks for your reply

Your right about my tyre pressure 50 front 65 rear

And I’ve have standard rubber snap in valves but have read lots about needing HP valves if over 50psi

I have failed to find any local tyre fitters that keep them I have found a good price for the tyres fairly close by but they don’t have any HP valves if I need them?

I had an original fit MB rubber valve fail on my AT, luckily whilst parked on my drive at home, so when I had the tyres replaced I bought metal valves from a seller at the Peterborough show but that was a few years ago and I haven’t seen them there since.

Long and short, I would not run 60 psi with rubber valves again.

Keith

dawki

If you want to stay with snap-in valves, then the Schrader TR600HP valve should be plenty adequate for the pressures you are using - and should not present any potential challenges for the tyre fitter.

£4.95 for four via this ebay advert.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Genuine-Schrader-TR600-High-Pressure-Tubeless-Tyre-Valves-Transit-Motorhome-/162418571887

or they might be in stock at a store local to you

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/-/-/-/-/?539772360&&ws5_0085

(Make sure that the valves are genuine Schrader products.)

Otherwise you could opt for the Schrader clamp-in valves advertised here - 4 for £16.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-X-CLAMP-IN-TYRE-VALVES-Motor-home-Camper-Van-/282039935163?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Clamp-in valves should be expected to have greater longevity, but fitting needs more care (the Schrader clamp-in valve’s recommended tightening torque is 12Nm to 15Nm) and clamp-in valves with an O-ring seal (like the Schrader valve) require the area of the wheel-rim that the O-ring seals against to be flat and uncorroded as mentioned here:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/High-pressure-bolt-in-tyre-valves/46453/

(There MAY be alloy wheels that will not accept a clamp-in valve. My Skoda car’s alloy wheels have ordinary rubber snap-in valves (the tyre inflation pressure is 32psi) and a cursory inspection of the wheel-design suggests that there might not be sufficient room in the outer part of the wheel-rim for the ‘screw down’ part of a clamp-in valve to fit.)

If one assumes that, when the van is sold new, appropriate tyre-valves are fitted to its wheels, as long as equivalent valves are fitted when the original tyres are replaced there should not be any problems.

I notice that the Fiat Owner Handbook for Ducato Euro 6 vehicles indicates that 225/75 R16 CP 118 tyres may be fitted to models described as "Maxi range 4400kg Gross Vehicle Weight with Camping tyres” and the advised rear tyre-pressure is then 6.0bar (87psi). At that pressure a ordinary ‘car’ rubber snap-in valve would be well beyond its recommended tolerance.

Archived