Spain in March

Another1

We are travelling to the south of Spain in late March and planning to travel via the Col du Pouralet. Can someone with experience of that route let us know if it is safe to travel the route due to snow or would we be better to go via the Somport tunnel and return via the Col in late May.

We like mountain scenery and have travelled most of the Pyrenees, albeit in summer; very beautiful scenery, very little traffic nice areas to pull in.

We do not have snow chains or snow tyres.

Looking forward to others opinions

Hi Tony, we have travelled over the col du pourtalet in mid April and managed to get through although the snow at the side of the road was higher than the van. The information office in laruns will tell you if its open or not. We travelled through the somport tunnel late November last year and as we emerged from the tunnel it was snowing heavy, but again got through OK. We do carry snow chains though just in case. I believe in France if you do not have snow chains or tyres on and you cause an obstruction the fines can be heavy. If you want to be sure of travelling south I would go via Dona san Sebastian or south east via Narbonne and Barcelona.

Bon Voyage

Foxy

The col de Pourtalet is more Twisty than the Somport route. Depends on the weather. late March maybe a little early. The Somport Route, (as you probably know) is almost a motorway now, We did it early May, 2 years ago, (Portalet )and was Ok

Best to wait nearer the time and check what the weather is like. it looks like it could be a long hard winter this year!!

PJay

We hve travelled south many times in late March via the Somport Tunnel. The roads are kept clear and whilst there can be snow on the verges etc. the road should be clear. I would avoid any "cols" at that time of year, there is snow up there!

I do have snow tyres and suggest that snow tyres would be a wise investment. Snow chains have never been needed by me.

Remember snow ploughs have right of way , you must get out of the way or they get a bit upset :-)

H

Many thanks for the excellent advice. We will check in either Oloron-Sainte-Marie or in Laruns if the pass is open. If not we can divert via Irun on the Atlantic coast. Time is our own.

We will definitely come home via the pass. It looks very scenic.

Again we appreciate the advice.

Archived