Split to Ancona ferry

ChrisD

Good morning all.

We are considering the above ferry route and wondered if anyone has experience of this route.

Is it a generally a 'rough' crossing and are the ferries a good standard?

Looking at the web booking sites there appears to be a height limit of 3m, our camper is 3.2m.

is this correct? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chris

Seems there are two operators, Snav and Jadrolinja. Jadrolinja quote rates for evhicles over 3.0 metres in height, Snav may.

I'd suggest you get onto the operators' websites direct, as the booking sites may be offering a limited range of fares for which they have negotiated discounts. Seems to be about 10 hours.

Sea conditions will depend on time of year. It may get rough on the Croatian side if the Bora is blowing.

Be aware that the Adriatic is non-tidal, and most ferries use stern ramps for boarding onto a simple dockside. Certain ports are affected by the Bora, both in terms of delay and also because the wind and it's associated barometric pressure results in unusually high water levels that can make transitioning onto/off loading ramps and ship particularly prone to grounding at rear and between axles.

If you can, I'd be inclined to pay on the day rather than pre-booking a fixed date (unless an early booking discount makes the risk worthwhile).

Can't comment on ships - haven't used that route, and was last in Croatia in 2008. But Split is well worth an extended visit - more so IMO, than Dubrovnik.

Brian

Thank you for your very enlightening reply.

I will certainly take your advice and not pre-book. We were caught out by the Mistral in southern France one year so I never underestimate the effects of these phenomena.

Also we will take a closer look at Split, thank you for that aside as well.

Regards

Chris

Archived