Stelvio Pass

laimeduck

Is it permitted & has anyone taken a motorhome over the Stelvio, & if so were there any problems?

I have a 3800Kg Benima Perseo 710CCX

I want to travel in mid June from Southern Germany (Tubingen area) down to Lake Como.

I can use the free passage through Austria via Fussen etc but then have to decide to either go over the Stelvio or the long way round via Bolzano.

If the Stelvio is not possible I might bite the bullet & pay for a days pass (25SF) into Switzerland from Pfunds to St Moritz, then down to Como.

I have been over Stelvio in an old car with no problem, but recall that on the South side there are some narrow tunnel sections & lots & lots of motorbikes! The attraction is that it is fantastic scenery & it's not a toll road.

We planned to do it in April 09 but bottled out as the weather wasn't great so we took another road going east having crossed the border from Nauders in Austria.

Our stopping places on this leg of the trip were:

Nr Motz, At 47.28420 10.96260

Glorenza, It 46.67063 10.54522

Nr St Felix, It 46.50100 11.11286

Nr Ceto Lombardy,It 46.00900 10.35200

Cividate Camuno 45.94290 10.27080

Nr Clusone 45.87400 9.95034

Nr Toline 45.79058 10.09242

Paratico 45.6596 9.9658

I also have gpx tracks of the route we took if it helps -pm me.

Ian

Hi Jeremy.

It is permitted and medium size coaches go over, I once followed a coach-built motorhome down the other side to Bormio then down the Paso di Gavia, have done that twice, must admit it looked tight going through the tunnels but he got through (height wise) don't think I'd chance it with anything on the roof.

Don't know what it's like going South of Bormio. When descending South from the top of the Stelvio, you can turn right into Switzerland and down to Santa Maria im Munstertal. There are no tunnels that way and you can get to Como that way via St Moritz I didn't touch any motorway when I went that way, so no toll fee.

Dave

Ps. The Stelvio is usually open from May but that is never certain. Mid June is ok but it did snow once in June when I was up there, it was lovely in Merano but bloody cold in shorts and T shirt 10000ft up in snow

nowtelse2do - 2012-04-07 12:07 PM

Hi Jeremy.

It is permitted and medium size coaches go over, I once followed a coach-built motorhome down the other side to Bormio then down the Paso di Gavia, have done that twice, must admit it looked tight going through the tunnels but he got through (height wise) don't think I'd chance it with anything on the roof.

Don't know what it's like going South of Bormio. When descending South from the top of the Stelvio, you can turn right into Switzerland and down to Santa Maria im Munstertal. There are no tunnels that way and you can get to Como that way via St Moritz I didn't touch any motorway when I went that way, so no toll fee.

Dave

Ps. The Stelvio is usually open from May but that is never certain. Mid June is ok but it did snow once in June when I was up there, it was lovely in Merano but bloody cold in shorts and T shirt 10000ft up in snow

Dave.... thanks... I will however have to pay a toll if I go into Switzerland as I am over 3500Kg. HGV's have to pay by the day, not just when on the Autoroutes. http://www.ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/informationen/02262/02263/index.html?lang=en

I have been from Bormio to Tirano and then up to Chur and that as I recall would be plain sailing for a motorhome.

Ian.... thanks for your data, but because I am over 3500Kg I don't want to use the Autobahns in Austria as I would have to get a GoBox

So my only unknown will be the SS38 from Tirano to the North tip of Lake Como - an adventure therefore!

Thee seems to be a lot of experience on this thread. So I would like to seek some advice.

We are meandering down from Dunkirk through Luxembourg and the Rhine valley and onwards down to Lake Garda possibly via Lake Como in May.

I have never driven over High passes the highest being the Applecross Pass in Western Highlands of Scotland. I am seeking recomendations of which would be the most suitable route for us to cross the Alps. I am a reasonably confident driver and have a 2004 - 6 mtr - 3000kgm Autotrail Tracker. We would like to stop a few days in the Alps to admire the scenery we have not decided on Austria or Switzerland so we are open to any experienced advice.

We plan to travel back via the Med coast and Annecy so maybe we could reverse the route if snow on the passes were to be a problem in mid May. The ferries are booked 6th May out 4th June in.

Jeremy, I've Googled going South from Bormio and it looks ok. Some trucks on the route and looks like a newish road. Try to Google it yourself and see what you think. Like I said earlier Ive never been down the Bormio Pass but looking at it, I would have a go with mine at 3mtr high. Hey you never know, you might end up with a cabriolet motorhome (lol) (lol)

Dave

Cliffy - 2012-04-07 7:41 PM

Thee seems to be a lot of experience on this thread. So I would like to seek some advice.

We are meandering down from Dunkirk through Luxembourg and the Rhine valley and onwards down to Lake Garda possibly via Lake Como in May.

I have never driven over High passes the highest being the Applecross Pass in Western Highlands of Scotland. I am seeking recomendations of which would be the most suitable route for us to cross the Alps. I am a reasonably confident driver and have a 2004 - 6 mtr - 3000kgm Autotrail Tracker. We would like to stop a few days in the Alps to admire the scenery we have not decided on Austria or Switzerland so we are open to any experienced advice.

We plan to travel back via the Med coast and Annecy so maybe we could reverse the route if snow on the passes were to be a problem in mid May. The ferries are booked 6th May out 4th June in.

Cliff, most passes are open by end of April but that does depend on how bad of a winter they have had. Ive seen snow in June as low down as 5000' in Austria but that is certainly not the norm its just occasionally.

Is 3000kg the gross weight of your Tracker, if it is it seems a bit low for the size of them, what's your payload?

Most of the high passes in the Alps are ok, I've never had a problem but there's always a first time,

If you use the motorways in Switzerland or Austria you will need a vignette. for Switzerland it last a year (1st January until 31st December) (Austria I think the shortest one is for ten days) but you can avoid them and use the normal roads if your vehicle is under 3500kg Gross. There are certain roads in Switzerland which you have to pay but I can't remember why. Either pkc or robinhood knows so they maybe able to make that more clearer. Sorry about being a bit vague but it's been a while since I used them.

If you are following the Rhine down you will need to make a decision when you are getting close to Freiburg whether to carry on to Basel Switzerland or go through to Austria around lake Constance (Konstanze). You will enter Austria at Bregenz, here you can still change your mind and still go into Switzerland if you want. There are a couple of other scenic ways into and through Austria to Italy from Germany.

Dave

Cliffy - 2012-04-07 10:48 PM

Ian

Thanks for your PM but my reply seems to be stuck in the out box.

My email is cliff_lightfoot@talktalk 'dot' net (altered to stop harvesters)

Change the dot.

cheers Cliff

...it will stay in the outbox until it is read by the intended recipient - at which point it goes to the sent items folder. (confusing, isn't it :-| )

I have done the Stelvio twice. I suggest you do not drive the Stelvio pass at a weekend when all the Motorbikes and weekend tourists are going up and down. It is not a problem, but because you are so busy watching for other traffic at every one of the 47 hairpins you miss the views. Best to go up in Morning and plan on coming down late afternoon. Then you are travelling with the flow of traffic generally. It is well worth the drive, but make sure your brakes are in good condition and take plenty of stops on way down in the various laybys to let them cool down. Basically travel downhill the same speed and gear you would travel up that hill. The Bornio route is easier to drive down but has a lot of tunnels. Another route up worth considering is the Umbrail pass but I think it starts in Switzerland (just), that will be the Santa Maria people have mentioned earlier but is a fantastic pass.

SV400098r.JPG.a4a695eea3369fa2256dc127a8d954e8.JPG

Brambles - 2012-04-07 11:17 PM

I have done the Stelvio twice. I suggest you do not drive the Stelvio pass at a weekend when all the Motorbikes and weekend tourists are going up and down. It is not a problem, but because you are so busy watching for other traffic at every one of the 47 hairpins you miss the views. Best to go up in Morning and plan on coming down late afternoon.

I'll second that. Also I found it better to go up from the North side.

Dave

Cliffy - 2012-04-07 7:41 PM

Cliff, people worry far to much about alpine passes, we have never yet found one that we could not get over. Some are very narrow, a lot, especially in France have no barriers but if the drops do not bother you, drive with caution you will be fine. Some are barred to vehicles towing or anything over 3500kgs. I would treat with caution the advice given that most are open by late April, anything over about 2200 mtrs may still be closed and anything over 2500mtrs almost certainly will be. The high passes can be closed until early June but usually the signs are out before you start them. The C.Club books one and two give some indication of the passes including road widths, tunnels and any restrictions.

Brambles - 2012-04-07 11:17 PM

I have done the Stelvio twice. I suggest you do not drive the Stelvio pass at a weekend when all the Motorbikes and weekend tourists are going up and down. It is not a problem, but because you are so busy watching for other traffic at every one of the 47 hairpins you miss the views. Best to go up in Morning and plan on coming down late afternoon. Then you are travelling with the flow of traffic generally. It is well worth the drive, but make sure your brakes are in good condition and take plenty of stops on way down in the various laybys to let them cool down. Basically travel downhill the same speed and gear you would travel up that hill. The Bornio route is easier to drive down but has a lot of tunnels. Another route up worth considering is the Umbrail pass but I think it starts in Switzerland (just), that will be the Santa Maria people have mentioned earlier but is a fantastic pass.

I cooked the brakes of my 1992 Jaguar XJ6 Auto going down the North side of Stelvio. Even in 2nd gear she wouldn't slow so we had to over use the brakes & they glazed.

I looked at the Umbrail pass but discounted it because a German Biker site I use, said it was not paved above 2000 metres? eg on the link below. This is dated from Christmas 2009. Have they tarmac-ed it since then?

http://www.alpentourer.com/alpine_passes/switzerland/umbrailpass/umbrailpass.html

Google translation below:-

The Umbrail pass is in the easternmost corner of Switzerland, and is as such an access road to the Stelvio Pass in Switzerland begins dar. The pass road in Santa Maria at 1.375m altitude in Val Müstair. Coming from the furnace pass, the road branches off to the right in the middle of town. The turn is very close between two buildings and can be easily overlooked. Shortly after leaving the village of Santa Maria, the road begins to one lane, relatively narrow with many curves and switchbacks to climb. First, through alpine meadows, with spectacular views over the Val Mustair and then through pine forests.

At 2,000 m well, the forest ends and the solid pavement. From here we continue on packed gravel, always the valley section of the valley Val Muraunxa below. This route can be traveled easily with normal street machine. Caution should be exercised only in the corners, as it has here usually piled up in the middle of the track and on the edge of gravel. Multiple is the little stone bridges crossing creeks Muranxina on flat, covered with gravel. By making the valley just north - south direction runs, it is up here as well as wind. It is worth several times along the course to stop and listen to nature.

From about 2200 m altitude, begin again the solid pavement. From here you can already see the ridge south of the Stelvio. After several very tight switchbacks, the Swiss customs station at 2.501m achieved simultaneously with the pass. Here are next to the Swiss border station that is manned almost never, even a small restaurant. Shortly after the pass, the road then leads into the Stelvio road that comes up from Bormio ago. Three buildings and a barrier marking the Italian border. It can sometimes passieen that a border guard wants to see the papers. Turn left, then after a few kilometers, the Stelvio pass reached. Right it goes down to Bormio.

Sound about right above for Umbrail. Its is very pretty and spectacular though even though unpaved in places. Its not busy so stopping is easy to admire the scenery. From memory teh very beginning is steep and tight hairpins and you start to wonder if you should turn back, but it then is over and rest of climb is fairly gentle in comparison. The gravel section near the top is fine actually. It helps make you feel you really are in the wilds. Its better than a lot of campsite access roads!!!!

The tunnels on Bormio road are fine for 3 meters height.

Hi,

WE've been over in our La Strada Regent L a few years ago. Going up from Bormio the tunnels do seem a bit tight and very dark but buses go up from Bormio to the summit and equally there are busues down the other side.

The views are fantastic. see photos if I manage to find them!

The road south from Bormio is now mainly in tunnel, its a snow free access to Bormio for skiing but useless for site seeing or gazing at the view. Use the earlier road which bypasses most of the villages. The original road went through all the villages, which I think were locals only now or traffic free. It was iffy trying to follow the earlier road as all the signs want you to go into the new tunnels. Fantastic engineering but rather boring (no pun intended).

We had previously been on Lake Garda and hah headed towards Bormio via Lagi d' Iseo and tunnels before going over the Aprica Pass and heading towards Sondrio and then turning to head towards Bormio and all those tunnels. We stayed at a small campiste at Cepina on the "later road" although there a sosta in Bormio by the big Ski lift to Bormio 2000 and there was a super sosta at Santa Caterina due east of Bormio almost at the end of the road.

cheers alan

see http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15734&posts=13 for a previous discussion (thanks to Judgemental) and my photos of the Stelvio. ( I obviously managed to post photos once)

There are a few motorhomes at the top of the pass, the many hairpins are headingaway from Bormio so we went down that bit, its not all that wide in places and it was amazing how many of the cars drivers froze as they saw us going downhill towards them especially when thet were on the edge (as against being on the rock side).

Good engine breaking is essential, we had a 2.7 Merc Sprinter then, much more engine breaking than we have now in out 2.2 Transit,

cheers alan

Archived