Stove igniter not working

PJay

Discovered yesterday that the cooker igniter would not work. Any one had same problem? Van not been used since August last year. Gas was OK, but as we did not have a lighter or match with us, unable to try it. Do not keep van at home, so c an not just pop out to it. We need to get it fixed , as going away on 2nd MaY. i guess the cooker will still work, just have to use a match? Any ideas please? We will go back to van to-morrow to investigate further.

PJay

Hi Pjay, you do not say what make model of cooker you have. If it Piezo ignition then maybe you have a short at one of the electrodes. If battery powered then maybe the battery is flat. It is usually located in a bottom storage area or in cupboard somewhere next to the cooker. If 12volt powered then check your fuses and 12volt feed to cooker.

Best I can come up with I am afraid, small battery being the most likely or bad contacts to the battery.

Jon.

Yes sorry guys, forgot about make. The cooker is a STOVES full cooker with grill and oven, three gas hobs one electrice plate. Will have to check on the model. Van is a 2006 Swift Sundance. Going to have another look this afternoon, hubby was an engineer, so can probably sort it. I just wondered if any one had the same problem. We don't think there is a battery, comes from the 12v supply

PJay

Have had exactly the same problem as you in the last few weeks, although may now be resolved.

Arrived at Dover for the night 5 weeks ago on first trip since last October, and like you no spark from the igniter (powered from 12v system like yours). I assumed either faulty switch or poor connection. Groped around under cooker and succeeded in sort-circuiting that circuit which also had hot water drain valve, fridge ignition and oven/grill ignition! Fortunately I had a spare fuse and so after fitting that left well alone for a bit and used matches.

After about 10 days we had not passed near a dealer and during a wet afternoon I had another attempt. The connections below the switch seemed fine so I assumed I would need to look for a new switch. Next day I absent-mindedly press the ignition switch instead of reaching for the matches and bingo a spark, albeit a bit intermitent. I persevered in trying it over a few days and it slowly improved from the occassional spark if I was lucky to sparking instantly it was pressed.

My theory is that over the winter the contacts either on the hob or in the switch had got slightly corroded and that constant use had eventually cleared this.

Hope you manage to get it sorted

Colin

Hi Colin

We have had the cooker apart (Well almost) and switch is Ok. We have also found that one of the 12v sockets does not work, AND horror of horrors the Camos dome reciever not working!! We do like our F! while away. All these are on the same circuit. To-morrow OH is going to go through the wiring (Have , found the wiring diagram, and blow it up to a readable size) Why do the manufacturers print them so small?? Hopefully we will find a fuse gone or a loose connection somewhere., We did have air suspension fitted two weeks ago, so maybe , but don't think so, that has something to do with the problem. It was all OK last time we used the van (in August)

Tomorrow is another day

PJay

PJay - 2011-04-18 11:34 PM

........We did have air suspension fitted two weeks ago, so maybe , but don't think so, that has something to do with the problem......

PJay

Sound suspiciously like the fitter as done something he should not have done. Maybe coincidence but high chance he did something silly. Why do you think it is not related?

From time to time I have had the same problem but found that eventually it rights itself. It is usually the oven but sometimes the bob but I do keep a gas lighter in the 'van so in the meantime manage with that. I have never found out the cause.

Success!!

We brought the van home to-day, so hubby could investigate the wiring. He had looked at all the fuses, but decided to have another look. BINGO, found one that had blown.Put in another fuse, and yes all systems go Hurrah. It may have been tripped by the mechanic, but we are now happy bunnies, will be able to watch the F!, while away in France. It was usefull to have the wiring diagram, which we managed to blow up large enough to read. We are going to keep a large copy, laminated in the van. Just in case!

Motto of this story is , Look twice at fuses.

PJay

Archived