Strange Readout for Vehicle Battery Voltage

John Allen

Auto Trail Apache 700 2015 Fiat Ducato X290

Sargent EC500 Power Control system

EC325 Control Panel

Factory fitted solar panel (I think 100 or 120 Watt)

Problem with EC325 readout for Vehicle battery voltage level

Readout details: (Engine and Ignition off for all these tests)

Leisure battery on mains hook up with charger off 12.4V Good (new Varta LFD 90)

Leisure battery on mains hook up with charger on 12.5V Good

Leisure battery across terminal with meter (Charger off) 12.4V (Same before installing)

Vehicle battery on mains hook up with charger off 4.5V Poor (Varta LFD 90 5 weekes old)

Vehicle battery on mains hook up with charger on 13.6V Good

Vehicle battery across terminals with meter 12.93V

Vehicle starts like a dream with very quick engine turnover as you would expect from newish battery

No dashboard warning lights on when started.

The systems and vehicle don’t seem to have any problem other than the strange low readout of 4.5V on the EC325 panel

I replaced the original Banner leisure battery today to ensure it was not failing and causing spurious problems but it has made no difference.

There have been no alterations or additions to the original factory built vehicle.

Any suggestions as to what could be failing would be appreciated. My logic based assumption is that it is something in the EC500 that is sending false information to the EC325

Will be informing supplying dealer and MB and G who provide 3rd year warranty

Thanks John

We have a motorhome coming to see us on the 21st that also had 4v displayed for the Starter battery when it is actually over 12v.

When the Solar panel was disconnected, the displayed figures rise to 12.8v, seemingly resolving the issue.

They emailed, "Hi we are at Holy island at the moment and have a problem with the fridge not working on gas, at the same time the control panel is playing up giving spurious info ie vehicle battery 4 v but will start. It’s an Autotrail 632...... I have pulled the fuse on the solar panel and the vehicle battery reading is now as it should be ?".

It would be interesting to see if your display also rights itself when the Solar is disconnected?.

A couple of other 'issues' -

The new Varta Leisure is very heavily discharged at 12.4v, that is over 50% DOD. It should be nearer 13.0v, like your Varta Starter batteries 12.93v.

See attached battery SOC chart, the Varta LFD90 performs similar to those batteries in the VRLA column.

According to the chart, your new Varta has only about 40% charge left, I wonder if the battery has suffered damage thru being in the shop too long?

I would expect the Leisure battery to rise to about 14v when the charger is switched on, not rise from 12.4v to 12.5v?

It is also unusual this time of year for the Solar not to have raised the battery voltages nearer 14v?

I would hazard a guess either there is an issue with the charging systems or the Leisure battery is pulling the voltages down through some issue?

Please can you isolate the Solar panel and see what happens? Maybe you have an issue with the regulator?

905924159_BatteryYuasastateofChargeChart.jpg.5efda719df37d086ed32924b7068eac0.jpg

AnndNCaravans. Thanks for your reply. The leisure battery is now sitting comfortably at 13V with no charger or hook up on. Hopefully it will be OK. The readings I had taken were immediately after connecting it. The battery dealer I got the new leisure battery from yesterday it from is Atlantic Batteries (We are on holiday in Quiberon France) and they appear to have a large turnover of stock like Battery Megastore in UK.

Regarding disconnecting the solar panel I have not got a clue as to where to do that. I should point out that I am a retired mechanical engineer and only have a basic understanding of vehicle electrics.

Display is currently showing solar current of 0.0V to vehicle.

Display is currently showing Battery Current of -1.1A (Charger not on)

We are just about to move to another campsite so hope to be able the forums later on. Thanks very much for help, it is appreciated.

John

Alan FYI,

I've just read a note from a guy who until recently owned an Autotrail Apache 634 (2016 year) and the van's Sargent system failed resulting in the two hab batteries melting.

All the best,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Problem sorted at habitation service at West Country Motor Homes. Apparently solar panel fuse had gone. Once replaced system worked fine. Why fuse had gone in the first place they did not know but suggested I keep an eye on it and if it goes again they will investigate further.

Archived