Sun Visors and Remis Blinds

Robinhood

I've always been a trifle annoyed by the fact that the Remis cab blinds for the Ducato interfere with the operation of the sun visors. (TBH, it's more of an issue for the co-pilot, since my height means the sun has to be pretty low before I need them).

Some time ago I discovered that Remis had adapters/spacers for the visor mount that rendered the visor considerably more usable, both in its captive forward position, and swivelled to the side (they provide the required clearance from the blind surround for correct operation).

I'm actually quite surprised that these aren't supplied as standard with the blinds themselves, but, given the rather enforced levels of inactivity I decided to invest and fit.

They are not particularly cheap, and virtually unobtainable in the UK, so postage from Germany adds somewhat to the cost, but they arrived this morning (after a 2-week tour of Europe judging by the tracking data).

Ten minutes at most to fit, and they provide the required function. The sun-visors are now fully deployable, both to the front and to the sides. I'm not entirely convinced that the investment will be paid back (though they are easily removable if I divest myself of the 'van) but it is quite satisfying.

The spacer is obvious from the picture and it (almost) matches.

remis.jpg.359791b179cdf6541f546b4f1503a0a7.jpg

The Remis part number (Ducato 2006/7 on) is 10057562 (in case you wish to search)

I obtained mine here:

https://www.campingwagner.de/product_info.php/info/p32421_Remis-Sonnenblendenadapter-fuer-REMIfront-IV-Ducato-ab-Bj--2006.html

...because it was the cheapest I could source when delivery was added, BUT, in the two weeks intervening, that price has risen 30% above what I was charged! There might well be cheaper sources now.

The fitting was easy, though there are no instructions, the only issue being identifying which side (as the spacers are handed).

I fitted some of these a while ago, mainly because I was frustrated at not being able to turn the sun visor across the side window.

They do also allow the visor to be folded further forward against the windscreen, whereas previously they were restricted by the upper moulding for the Remis blind track. With the driver's seat raised due to fitment of a swivel turntable, I also used to find that folding the sunvisor down meant that I had too restricted view ahead, but since fitting the adapters I find it just right.

I also bought them from CampingWagner, as they were the cheapest I could find at the time, with P&P included.

You must have been unlucky with the delivery route. I generally find purchases from Germany arrive pretty quickly - or at least arrive in the UK pretty quickly. I bought something a few weeks ago from a supplier in East Germany that took 5 hours from placing my order to arrive at the UK inbound hub near Heathrow, according to the tracking information. Heathrow to me (about 20 miles by road) took another 5 days! It seems that Deutsche Post (DHL) in Germany are far more efficient than the British operation.

I tend to buy quite a lot from Germany, the market there for "Wohnmobil" accessories being rather more active than here.

My experience with delivery is generally good (though that may change after the end of the year). German customer service is also usually good; I have, from time-to-time had to return the odd item, and haven't hit issues (including having return postage reimbursed).

On this occasion, my experience (DHL) has been the reverse of yours. According to tracking it was picked up a week last Monday with the implication that it arrived in the Netherlands as the final destination country (!) on Tuesday. It then disappeared until this Wednesday (a week and a bit later) when it reappeared back in Germany at the export parcel centre, which it left the same day and was delivered to me a day and a half later. I can hardly say it was urgently awaited.

Just another piece of info ref sun visors - I can't find the previous thread now, but I'm sure it's hiding in the archives somewhere.

On my Ducato when I had the standard swivel seats, which I found too high and quite uncomfortable, when the sun visor was operated it was too low and I had to crouch down in my seat! Someone gave me the tip that you can unscrew the sun visor fitting and turn it around to give approx 20mm extra space.

I did this and it worked OK.

In fact I bought some lowered seat bases (from I think Tony Sugg of Wyvern Seating down in the West Country) and this revolutionised the driving comfort and solved the sun visor problem.

The sun visor fitting may not be the same on more modern vans but worth a look?

Jeremy

This June 2020 MHFun forum thread discussed in-cab sun visor ‘spacers’ for X250/X290 Ducatos and offered a DIY approach.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/mod-to-sun-visors-when-remis-blinds-fitted.221492/

The final posting said "As fitted to my 2017 fiat rapido. NOw a standard fitting?” and carried a photo (copied below) of a genuine REMIS spacer on the right-hand sun visor of the poster’s motorhome.

“I wonder if...” I thought and - sure enough - a quick check established that the sun visors of my Ducato-based 2015 Rapido 640F coachbuilt motorhome also have the REMIS spacers.

spacer.jpg.7172364fc4b1bb08b2eb63afbfdced60.jpg

Archived