Surge protector

Barcobird

Never seen any inline ones.

I fitted a Sollatek AVS30 Appliance Guard, it protects against under voltage, over voltage & surges. I don't normally use mains, I fitted it for safety when hooked up on ferries as ships generators are not the most stable supplies.

I fitted it between the RCD & MCB.

• 11 months later...

Resurrected an old post ! (lol)

Has anyone come across anything like this in the last 12 months ?

I found the Schaudt OVP 01 Over Voltage Protector but this is something that appears just for protection on the electro block. I would like to protect everything Truma heater included.

Thanks

This is an adjustable device that sits alongside the RCD and is a DIN compatible device so can be installed in the existing 'Mains 230v box' if there is room:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40A-220V-Din-rail-adjustable-voltage-protective-device-relay-voltmeter-/222562050393

Not seen one this sophisticated before, the disconnect/reconnect delay is 25seconds. The built in digital volt meter might be useful?

Maybe one should be fitted to all motorhomes? At £12 it wouldn't harm the motorhome manufacturers bank.account.

Worth asking for one to be fitted on all Dealer purchases?

806857765_OvervoltageundervoltageDINrailvoltmeters-l1600small.thumb.jpg.5df90910661ccb7546310240418a177b.jpg

aandncaravan - 2018-11-04 7:52 PM

This is an adjustable device that sits alongside the RCD and is a DIN compatible device so can be installed in the existing 'Mains 230v box' if there is room:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40A-220V-Din-rail-adjustable-voltage-protective-device-relay-voltmeter-/222562050393

Not seen one this sophisticated before, the disconnect/reconnect delay is 25seconds. The built in digital volt meter might be useful?

Maybe one should be fitted to all motorhomes? At £12 it wouldn't harm the motorhome manufacturers bank.account.

Worth asking for one to be fitted on all Dealer purchases?

Exactly what I'm looking for, it can be fitted and hopefully forgotten about under the seats with the rest of the electrical stuff. Better than an inline one because it's likely to get nicked (lol)

Presumably you have fitted these and not found any faults or problems with them?

Barcobird, Yes we have fitted the Sollatek AVS 30 which is about £66 for the device, but not fitted the more sophisticated, adjustable LCD voltage display unit, but we are due to fit one in 3 weeks..

Not sure of the costs yet, it will depend on access as this determines the time it takes, but the device is currently £25 + around an hours labour fitting. We hope to get the device cost down slightly as we source from different suppliers.

The Hymer customer has requested the unit is set-up to shutdown the incoming supply if the voltage spikes above 255v or drops below 190v. The unit traps both fast rising spikes and slow rising voltages, like from a generator speeding up/slowing down for some reason.

The supply will reconnect automatically after 25 seconds, provided it is now back in spec.

A common Spike/surge protector won't trap slow rising voltages. like this unit does.

We will be selling the latest, very new CURRENT adjustable £35 preconfigured unit in it's own housing, with instructions to fit from early December.

This unit not only traps voltage spikes, over/under voltage, etc. like the above unit, but also cuts the 230v power if the CURRENT goes above a set limit. it is easy to install but we obviously need to recommend it is done by an experienced Auto electrician.

It is delivered with a default current limit of 16amps but this can be 'user' changed to, say 6amps ,for lower power sites.

If the motorhome tries to draw more than 6 amps the unit will trip out, saving you the hassle of resetting the Bollard/asking the Warden to reset power, etc. You just need to wait 25 seconds for power to automatically reconnect.

This unit includes the same LCD display showing the site voltage, and additionally includes a current meter.showing the amps being drawn from the Bollard.

It is a fairly coarse current detection unit, so don't expect it to trip on exactly 6 amps, it can be plus or minus an amp or two.

If you want to be a guinea pig for the new current and voltage sensing unit we will supply the device for free, you just pay for our labour to fit it.

Thank you aandncaravan for your very kind offer, I will book your Ryan Air flight. (Vilamoura more than Redditch *-) )

My electrical boxes and the battery are all buried underneath the seats and an inconvenience to get to, so all the digital readouts wouldn’t be of any use. However if it’s set to various parameters and resets after 25 seconds it wouldn’t be a problem I would just leave the amps at 16.

Presumably once you get stock you would be able to post one out to me (Uk)

Thanks for the information :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Barcobird, we have completed testing of the mains 230v protector, the 'Power Master', and it is ready for sale if you still want one?

It is reverse polarity resistant, takes out Spikes and Surges, cuts power into the motorhome/Caravan if the supply strays outside preset limits which are user definable. By default they are set to 190v to 260v, anything outside this results in the incoming mains to be disconnected.

The second device also has user definable Current limits that will shutdown the supply if a preset current limit is exceeded. useful if you are on a 5amp EHU in Portugal, etc. This alterable current limit prevents unnecessary 'tripping' of the site Bollards RCD. By default it is set to 16amps.

It is also able to protect the motorhome from over voltage of Inverters

Should an Inverter fault and output 290v, this device will chop the Inverter power and prevent damage to 230v appliances.

Also very good at protecting the motorhome from petrol generator induced 230v spikes and surges, etc.

It is fast acting < 10ms.

On detecting a 230v supply fault the unit.stops the incoming power and isolates it.

After 25 seconds it samples the supply and if it is now 'clean' it automatically reconnects.

If the supply is still not within tolerance, it continues to be isolated and the unit samples again after a further 25 seconds, etc.

The device fits immediately in front of the existing RCD, taking about one hour to fit. It comes with full instructions.

Archived