TV

Diddyell

Hi all I am in the TV Aerial business (50+years)and recently got a new Benimar Mileo 201, I have just got a new TV for the M/H from Curry's it is a 24" LG smart TV and has full HD tuner in it and much to my delight after I got it out of the box found it had satellite tuner as well all for the princely sum of £149.95 and even though I would have preferred a Samsung I gotta say the picture is outstanding although the aerial on the M/H is not much good if anyone is looking for a cheap but decent smart TV this one is worth a punt.

I went to Currys this week to buy just that, the main thing being a small screen tv with a freesat tuner and they told me they only have freesat in the large TVs so I ended up just buying two freesat boxes.

Most of the staff were messing around on their phones.....maybe they should have been getting to know their products a bit better.

Diddyell - 2016-09-17 11:11 AM

Hi all I am in the TV Aerial business (50+years)and recently got a new Benimar Mileo 201, I have just got a new TV for the M/H from Curry's it is a 24" LG smart TV and has full HD tuner in it and much to my delight after I got it out of the box found it had satellite tuner as well all for the princely sum of £149.95 and even though I would have preferred a Samsung I gotta say the picture is outstanding although the aerial on the M/H is not much good if anyone is looking for a cheap but decent smart TV this one is worth a punt.

We bought the same model last week, and it was a white one, bought it for the spare bedroom. I read the reports after buying it and the only real complaint was regarding the sound quality. It should be Ok in van as not a big space , ours is fine in bedroom.

Will86 - 2016-09-17 2:03 PM

There is only the one model 24" LG 24MT48S Smart LED TV. What else ?

Plenty of info is available if you search the above set of details.

It could be that I am crap at this search thing but I couldn't find any info on this tv even on the LG website apart from the fact that Currys sell it.

I tried to call Currys but that was 20 minutes of my life I will never get back, gave up waiting!

This must be the best kept secret that these have freesat built in. I will have to go back to the shop and ask to see one as I would like a couple of them to take back to France with me

mildi - 2016-09-17 10:23 PM

Will86 - 2016-09-17 2:03 PM

There is only the one model 24" LG 24MT48S Smart LED TV. What else ?

Plenty of info is available if you search the above set of details.

It could be that I am crap at this search thing but I couldn't find any info on this tv even on the LG website apart from the fact that Currys sell it.

I tried to call Currys but that was 20 minutes of my life I will never get back, gave up waiting!

This must be the best kept secret that these have freesat built in. I will have to go back to the shop and ask to see one as I would like a couple of them to take back to France with me

We went to one Currys shop,(Portsmouth) and chose a Tv, but there was a lack of staff and a queue to pay and very few salesmen. that in the end we gave up and walked out. We then went to another Currys (Fareham) and found the LG set, which was not in the other shop, so it appears that different branches have different stock. It could of course be that the first shop, where to busy to put all sets on display.

We found that there seems to be a lack of small TV.s available now, THey all seem to be selling 50 inch plus sizes.! I do wonder how people find room for such large sets??

Well, this morning I went to the Fareham Currys, got a refund on the freesat boxes and bought 2 of the 28" LG TVs which do have the sat tuners in. They are not " freesat" but that's not a problem for me.

Even this morning none of the staff new they had a sat tuner in.

Many thanks for the info.

Mildi

I don't understand what you are doing.

If you doubt the TV that's being advertised in the first post by diddyell. All you have to do is buy one, take it home and try it and If not satisfied take it back.

Now you seem to have bought 2 others that don't contain what you were looking for. WHY

Will86 - 2016-09-19 7:34 PM

Mildi

I don't understand what you are doing.

If you doubt the TV that's being advertised in the first post by diddyell. All you have to do is buy one, take it home and try it and If not satisfied take it back.

Now you seem to have bought 2 others that don't contain what you were looking for. WHY

I don't doubt the original post, it was just that I had been to the same store asking for the same thing and the staff told me that only the large TVs (40" plus) have freesat (sat decoder). I wanted a small tv with a built in sat decoder.

If there are none of these then I would just get two more freesat boxes

LG website didn't have the info or anything on google

I tried to look up the info but it just said it had freeview HD but in fact it does have a build in sat decoder also.

I wanted two of them that's why I bought the original two freesat boxes.

Freesat boxes were £50 each so it was better update the TVs, One plug and not lots of cable and only one remote. They had a choice of 24" or 28" both had the sat decoder

Couple of points.

First. There are still a lot if TV's being sold as Full HD, but they are referring to the 1080p screen and many do not have DVB-T2 tuners which you need to have for Freeview HD and some SD channels. Samsung market their TV's this way and IMO it's misleading.

In the next few years more channels will migrate to DVB-T2 and these TV's will be useless!

Beware. My daughter just bought a £149 Samsung from Currys. It's ripping off the non technical shoppers. She honestly thought being Full HD she could get the main channels in HD. She returned it.

Second. Many LG's have satellite tuners, but it's not advertised.

derek500 - 2016-09-20 11:13 AM

Couple of points.

First. There are still a lot if TV's being sold as Full HD, but they are referring to the 1080p screen and many do not have DVB-T2 tuners which you need to have for Freeview HD and some SD channels. Samsung market their TV's this way and IMO it's misleading.

In the next few years more channels will migrate to DVB-T2 and these TV's will be useless!

Beware. My daughter just bought a £149 Samsung from Currys. It's ripping off the non technical shoppers. She honestly thought being Full HD she could get the main channels in HD. She returned it.

The LG have the freeview HD tuner.

mildi - 2016-09-20 12:44 PM

Couple of points.

The LG have the freeview HD tuner.

Yes. LG have been my preferred TV brand for several years now.

Couple of points.

My understanding was that if you buy a set with FULL HD it does have Freeview HD, but if it shows as HD ready, then it is capable of showing HD picture but you need an add-on HD tuner.

I bought the Samsung 24"full Freeview HD model earlier in the year and that is what I get....and indeed got that earlier in the year also when in France, where they now only seem to transmit in HD. Oddly though, we are currently back in France, and cannot get any signal on it at all.....Odd, and cant check it out until we return to Uk.

Is this TV capable of being used on 12v.

Randonneur - 2016-09-21 7:09 PM

No, Just 240v

mildi - 2016-09-22 10:21 AM

Randonneur - 2016-09-21 7:09 PM

No, Just 240v

Many thanks for the reply. OH will be pleased that he doesn't have to fork out for a new tele.

Keith T - 2016-09-20 7:07 PM

Couple of points.

My understanding was that if you buy a set with FULL HD it does have Freeview HD, but if it shows as HD ready, then it is capable of showing HD picture but you need an add-on HD tuner.

I bought the Samsung 24"full Freeview HD model earlier in the year and that is what I get....and indeed got that earlier in the year also when in France, where they now only seem to transmit in HD. Oddly though, we are currently back in France, and cannot get any signal on it at all.....Odd, and cant check it out until we return to Uk.

Common misconception. HD Ready means the TV's pixel count is 1366 X 768, Full HD is 1920 X 1080. Nothing to do with Freeview HD. Here's a description.

https://lineshjose.com/blog/differences-between-hd-ready-and-full-hd/

And here's a Full HD Samsung without Freeview HD. Note some of the reviewers bemoaning tbe fact that the TV doesn't have Freeview HD.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-lt24d390sw-xu-smart-24-led-tv-10029562-pdt.html

Luckily your purchase has Freeview HD, so you weren't stung!!

derek500 - 2016-09-22 12:22 PM

And here's a Full HD Samsung without Freeview HD. Note some of the reviewers bemoaning the fact that the TV doesn't have Freeview HD.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-lt24d390sw-xu-smart-24-led-tv-10029562-pdt.html

And here's an example the other way round. An HD Ready TV with Freeview HD.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-24mt48s-smart-24-led-tv-10146549-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

So easy to be caught out.

My home tv is an LG set. I think it's 38" size but bought it for picture quality more than anything which is absolutely brilliant. It has HD channels but to be honest i rarely use HD as the standard picture is perfectly fine for me. Its 7 years old now and never let me down.

That impressed with LG i bought an LG 23" Monitor/tv for my computer.

Archived