Taking Cat To France

JohnP

If you and the cat are visiting France then you don't need to see a Vet before returning home.

If the microchip is recorded in the Passport and the rabies treatment is up to date then there should be no problem when the cat is taken to the Pet Passport Office on the way home.

Check with your vet the cat is healthy to travel and any other suggestions they may have about treatments before you go – the hotter the climate the more animals are prone to 'local' problems such as ticks and other insect infections.

If you're still worried look on the DEFRA Pet Passport site.

I am a cat person, and can I suggest that unless the cat has been used to travelling since it was a kitten, and even then not all cats are the same, some can cope with travel and some cannot, it might be kinder to leave kitty at home.

I have had a vomiting cat, a cat errr, "caught short" and even lost one cat, gone and never found.

Of course your cat may be one of those who travel well, settle well and even walks on a lead.

If so good luck and happy holiday.

H

We decided to start taking our two cats away (brother and sister) when they were nine years old. There was much meowing at first but they soon got used to it, the tom cat demanded to go out and explore everytime we stopped, on a lead and harness, which he did not seem to mind at all.

It depends on the cat of course, ours travelled together in a large collapsible dog carrier set up just behind the front seats so they could see out.

We took them with us because we were spending months away and it was difficult to arrange cat sitters. We took the view that if they could not handle it we would stop but they were fine. Buy a harness and lead and get them used to it and a large basket/carrier to travel in, if they cant hack it at least you have tried. We never thought our ginger tom would go on a lead but he loved his night walks round the campsite once he got used to it.

You dont need to see a vet before return at Calais Ferry Port you just check in as normal and are handed a micro chip scanner; you scan your cat and hand the scanner back and they check the number against the number in the pet passport, thats all there is to it (as long as the rabies jabs are up to date).

Thanks for the advice

I have a female sealpoint Ragdoll about 9 years old. To date she has travelled to the Peak district, York Dales, Lake district and south coast.

She is quite happy travelling in a large cat carrier and used to a harness for short walks (if you can take a cat for a walk)

It was the return procedure back to the UK that was my worry.

Thanks again

Archived