Taking a motorhome to France checklist

michaelmorris

We are planning a 2/3week trip to France in our van and I’ve put together a list of extra things I think we’ll need to take. This list is of things to take because we are driving in a motorhome, not for us personally. I haven't included travel guides.

• *Driving licences

• *Proof of vehicle ownership (V5C form)

• *Vehicle insurance certificate

• *Headlamp beam deflectors

• Spare set of bulbs

• Breathalyzer kit

• *Hazard warning triangle

• *High-visibility waistcoats

• *Emissions sticker

• *GB sticker

• French EHU adaptor

• Reversed polarity adaptor

• Polarity tested

• Inform insurance company

• Arrange European breakdown cover

• Make ‘Curb on the right’ reminder sticker for windscreen

Items marked * are (to the best of my knowledge) compulsory. Yes - I know the Breathalyzer is theoretically compulsory.

Any suggestions or comments?

I'm doing the same thing, and I've seen that some of the black water disposal points are just gratings you need to lift, so I'm including a pair of manhole keys (a fiver off ebay).

I've also read that queues to take on or drop water can be long, so I'm including a second 25l plastic water container so that I don't have to queue or drive off pitch. (I already have one and another that takes grey.)

Hope that helps,

You seem to have just about everything. Check that the European Breakdown Cover will transport a motorhome of your size and weight. Some policies have limits on vehicle size and weight. Gloves and disposable disinfectant wipes are useful for disinfecting water taps before filling up. Sometimes the one tap serves both fresh water and toilet cassette flushing.

Spare driving glasses, if applicable

Emissions sticker not compulsory (as far as I'm aware) unless you plan to visit major cities

I've never informed my MH insurance company, assuming you already have it extended for use in EU fully comp

You may wish to inform your plastic money providers

We normally take 100 euros with us to get us through the first few days then it's hole in the wall

When purchasing goods or cash always choose to pay in euros

Don't forget to add passports to your list, haha!!!

Driving tip

When stopped at a T junction, get into the habit of always looking LEFT first and then right (opposite to what you do in the UK).

Digital multi meter (cheapie is good enough!), tools for miscelaneous unexpected repairing and odd jobbing, various tap to hose converters / connectors, various tapes, bits of foam, sticky pads and silicone spray for rattle and squeak curing, more than one hose of differing lengths for when the tap area is muddy or too far away, something to stand two wheels on if the area is too unlevel, pads to place under wheels on soft ground, tow rope, jump leads (use 'em yourself if engine battery dies), funnel, folding bucket, sponge and leather for van or window washing, enough gas or adapters if refillables, ......................

Robbo - 2018-01-17 4:13 PM

I've never informed my MH insurance company, assuming you already have it extended for use in EU fully comp.

I may well be wrong ( I frequently am), but I've always been under the impression that some policies require you to inform them before taking the vehicle abroad.

Duffer - 2018-01-17 3:27 PM

Incidentally, Halfords have a couple of handy clear stickers that go on the windscreen. One reminds you to keep right and includes a drawing of entering a roundabout, the other shows speed conversions.

Thanks for the head up. Found them -

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/travel-accessories/travel-equipment/speedright-safety-device

Apart from the official documents required my wife and I each carry a card with such information as:

Who we are.

Who to contact in case of emergency.

The vehicle insurance policy number. With accompanying contact numbers.

The health insurance policy number. With accompanying contact numbers.

Passport numbers.

Contact numbers in the case of lost/stolen credit/debit cards.

The reasoning behind carrying these cards in our wallets? If the worst happens and your ‘van is stolen then all you have is what you are standing up in – all your documentation and contact numbers are gone!

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2018-01-17 5:08 PM

Apart from the official documents required my wife and I each carry a card with such information as:

Who we are.

Who to contact in case of emergency.

The vehicle insurance policy number. With accompanying contact numbers.

The health insurance policy number. With accompanying contact numbers.

Passport numbers.

Contact numbers in the case of lost/stolen credit/debit cards.

The reasoning behind carrying these cards in our wallets? If the worst happens and your ‘van is stolen then all you have is what you are standing up in – all your documentation and contact numbers are gone!

Cattwg :-D

We do exactly the same. :-D

laimeduck - 2018-01-17 5:14 PM
Somewhat tongue in cheek, but?

Get you out of trouble stuff.......

Roll of gaffer tape
Assorted Jubillee clips
Twine/string
Superglue
(I assume you do have wire coat hangers in the wardrobe?)

ThanksAgain, this is the type of stuff that we carry anyway. I'm after thoughts on stuff to take when taking our motorhome abroad that we may not usually carry in the UK.

Hi I know we all go abroad to get a taste of different foods and cultures, but tea bags , baked beans, cornflakes, digestive biscuits, milk chocolate and many other british foods are rarely available on the continent and expensive when they are. If you do have a few favourites be sure to take a good stock.

Regards David

davidmac - 2018-01-17 8:44 PM

Hi I know we all go abroad to get a taste of different foods and cultures, but tea bags , baked beans, cornflakes, digestive biscuits, milk chocolate and many other british foods are rarely available on the continent and expensive when they are. If you do have a few favourites be sure to take a good stock.

Regards David

Proper Cheddar cheese, ginger nuts, Weetabix ,coffee whitener too!

Archived