Talking spirit level?

michaelmorris

At present our levelling routine for the van goes something like this.

1- I launch the 'Clinometer' app on my Android phone and put it on the work top above the fridge.

2 - I work out whether we need to use the chocks to level the van and work out where they should go.

3 - Mrs M puts the chocks under the relevant wheels

4 - Under Mrs M's direction I drive the van up the chocks

5 - I get out of the driver's seat and go and check the level

6 - ... repeat steps 4 to 5 as many times as is necessary to get the van level enough.

What would really nice is if the Android app or some other cheap device had a speaking clinometer/spirit level to let you know how level the van is. This would save me having to go through steps 5 to 6.

PS I tried the app 'Talking Caravan Level', but I didn't find it any use for driving up onto chocks.

PPS I can't find anywhere in the cab that has a surface to put the phone on that is parallel to the floor of the habitation section of the van.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After more experience you won’t need a spirit level but in the mean time why not buy one of the cheap two way levels on eBay and once Mrs M has deployed the levelling blocks (Chocks are to stop the vehicle rolling down a hill place in front or behind a tyre) get her inside place level on table with Mrs M sat at said, to shout level reading to you.

Our procedure developed over 50 or so years was much more simple and it always worked for us.

1 stop van

2 apply handbrake

3 look over left shoulder and if van floor looks level enough

4 switch off engine

5 relax and put kettle on

If at any time the van was not deemed level enough my talking spirit level would soon tell me and an adjustment could be made, after tea and biscuits - or cake - of course.

It you really want to be fastidious one of these works well for some with one person altering the level and t'other watching the spirit level.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGIFLEX-Leveler-Spirit-Caravan-Campervan/dp/B004DJ7F48

We park up as level as possible . Then check with a spirit level , and adjust accordingly

We like it flat as possible , as it makes for better sleeping! Also so that the sink drains of water

we do have legs at the back, so thay help with front to back.level. Sideways we use ramps.

Always check level from the floor, not table or tops, as these are not always correct.

PJay

I have a cross hair bubble level mounted under the instrument cluster easily viewed from the driving seat . the van is first leveled with a builders level on worktop units both ways and when correct the bubble is mounted on a lump of buddies which goes hard after a short time. Has given me accurate results for years.

A make shift other way is to nearly fill a cup with water placed on work top,when water is level all around the cup,van is level.

michaelmorris - 2018-03-13 11:40 PM

1- I launch the 'Clinometer' app on my Android phone and put it on the work top above the fridge.

2 - I work out whether we need to use the chocks to level the van and work out where they should go.

6 - ... repeat steps 4 to 5 as many times as is necessary to get the van level enough.

What would really nice is if the Android app or some other cheap device had a speaking clinometer/spirit level to let you know how level the van is. This would save me having to go through steps 5 to 6.

PS I tried the app 'Talking Caravan Level', but I didn't find it any use for driving up onto chocks.

PPS I can't find anywhere in the cab that has a surface to put the phone on that is parallel to the floor of the habitation section of the van.

Any suggestions?

Goodness me - what a load of faffing about !

(lol)

We just park - have a look around to see if we are level enough - and if so put the kettle on.

If not - put a spirit level on the floor, and decide which wheels need to be raised.

Drive onto levelers as required.

(We just make sure that we are sleeping with our heads " uphill " IF there is any slope at all )

;-)

To be serious - I use a detachable plumb bob on a string.

I hook it onto where the rear view mirror was, have a mark on the dash where I know that level is (both fore & aft and side to side) .... and that's it. 

One person operation. 

All my wife has to do is put the leveling ramps under the relevant wheels, then as everyone else says .... put the kettle on or decant the wine.

chas - 2018-03-14 11:04 AM

I have a cross hair bubble level mounted under the instrument cluster easily viewed from the driving seat . the van is first leveled with a builders level on worktop units both ways and when correct the bubble is mounted on a lump of buddies which goes hard after a short time. Has given me accurate results for years.

A make shift other way is to nearly fill a cup with water placed on work top,when water is level all around the cup,van is level.

Hi Chas

Thanks

Two questions

1 - What are Buddies?

2 - Have you got a picture of the bubble level in place?

laimeduck - 2018-03-14 11:36 AMAll my wife has to do is put the leveling ramps under the relevant wheels, then as everyone else says .... put the kettle on or decant the wine.

Unfortunately, I've nearly driven the van off the end of blocks a couple of times, so I don't feel confident driving on to the blocks without Mrs M checking I'm not mucking it up.

malc d - 2018-03-14 11:17 AM

Any suggestions?

(lol)

We just park - have a look around to see if we are level enough - and if so put the kettle on.

If not - put a spirit level on the floor, and decide which wheels need to be raised.

(We just make sure that we are sleeping with our heads " uphill " IF there is any slope at all )

I curious as to why you describe our routine as "Faffing about'" when the routine you describe sounds almost identical to ours? The only difference seems to be that I don't have the confidence to drive on to the chocks without having my wife checking I don't drive of the ends (which I have done a couple of times). Hence my enquiry about a talking spirit level app.

michaelmorris - 2018-03-14 2:05 PM

I curious as to why you describe our routine as "Faffing about'" when the routine you describe sounds almost identical to ours?

That's a fair comment Michael.

What surprised me is that someone would use a battery powered electronic gadget to see if his van was on the level - when a normal spirit level is so much easier ( and quite likely more accurate ).

;-)

breakaleg - 2018-03-14 3:17 PM

If dinner stays on table it's level.

Almost - as long as any glasses don't slide off the table and any spilt wine does not roll off the table and stain the carpet and as long I don't roll out of bed !

Holidays are too short to faff about with spirit levels and apps!

Any suggestions?

(lol)

I curious as to why you describe our routine as "Faffing about'" when the routine you describe sounds almost identical to ours? The only difference seems to be that I don't have the confidence to drive on to the chocks without having my wife checking I don't drive of the ends (which I have done a couple of times). Hence my enquiry about a talking spirit level app.

Have you thought of reversing the front driving wheels onto the ramps? If you leave your driver door open and lean out slightly whilst holding tightly to the steering wheel you can generally see your wheels on the ramps and monitor progress. Having tried both methods I far prefer reversing.

I’m amused that no one has owned up to having a stand-up row with one’s partner, stalking off in a huff muttering “if you think you can do better, have a go yourself”! A regular occurrence. This is usually following driving round the site at least once, being unable to agree on a mutually suitable pitch, not to mention whether to enter the pitch driving forwards or reversing.

malc d - 2018-03-14 2:22 PM

I curious as to why you describe our routine as "Faffing about'" when the routine you describe sounds almost identical to ours?

What surprised me is that someone would use a battery powered electronic gadget to see if his van was on the level - when a normal spirit level is so much easier ( and quite likely more accurate ).

;-)

I work on the principle that I have the phone with me anyway, so why carry an extra bit of kit. :-D

blaven - 2018-03-14 5:39 PM

Any suggestions?

(lol)

Have you thought of reversing the front driving wheels onto the ramps? If you leave your driver door open and lean out slightly whilst holding tightly to the steering wheel you can generally see your wheels on the ramps and monitor progress. Having tried both methods I far prefer reversing.

I’m amused that no one has owned up to having a stand-up row with one’s partner, stalking off in a huff muttering “if you think you can do better, have a go yourself”! A regular occurrence. This is usually following driving round the site at least once, being unable to agree on a mutually suitable pitch, not to mention whether to enter the pitch driving forwards or reversing.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

blaven - 2018-03-14 5:39 PM

Have you thought of reversing the front driving wheels onto the ramps?

Yes, it can work but be aware that if your van has front mudflaps they can be torn off as you start to climb the ramp, so very gently first time, preferably with someone watching!

lennyhb - 2018-03-14 9:20 PM

With modern Fords or Fiats its not advisable to reverse on ramps it puts a lot of strain on the clutch, far better to use first gear which is the lowest gear.

As for levelling, if I don't fall over when I stand up its level.

Agreed. Prolonged reversing under strain is not advisable, but my ‘technique’ is to zoom quickly to the highest point on the ramps, apply the handbrake sharpish, check the spirit level and gently lower on the foot brake if necessary. Works for me. There’s always a time lag between one’s partner signalling frantically and the driver reacting, especially as one gets older!

Archived