Taylormade silver screens

tonyishuk

Tony,

I couldn't get their website to work but then spotted this on their Facebook page...

"We are currently having technical issues with our website.

So we want to take a moment to squash some rumors and put your minds at ease!

YES the website is down but NO we have NOT stopped trading. Our website will be up and running as soon as is possible, fingers crossed this will be in the next few months but we can't make any promises"

https://www.facebook.com/TaylormadeWindscreenCovers/

http://www.taylormade-covers.co.uk/

Keith.

Many thanks. I hope they are still in business. Had several covers from them in the past.

Present screen cover still going strong after seven years almost in daily use, but looking to tatty when we roll up on site.

Have to maintain standards !

Thx

Rgds

Ive previously bought, ot at least ordered, from them, at the various shows, but oddly having recently changed the van, the old ones which we have had over the last three vehicles and we have 'adapted' don't seem to be capable of much more adapting, so was trying to locate them, but as noted above the website is not working still.

PJay - 2018-01-19 8:44 AM

Perhaps someone who has the address of the company, and outlets? could post on here, for use?

PJay

Do they advertise in mags ?

Contact/addess detais of “Taylormade Windscreen Covers” are on the Facebook link provided by Keithl in his posting of 18 January 2018 7:25 PM above.

Their website is still down, though it now carries the message "NEW WEBSITE COMING THIS JANUARY”.

The company sells direct and exhibits at outdoor shows - as far as I’m aware that’s it.

I don’t know if the company is currently advertising in magazines.

I tried to buy from Taylormade, but they refused to deliver to Scotland for the advertised price, blaming a problem with their website. They were unable to say how much it would cost, except that it would be a lot more. This contradicted the information on their website, so I cancelled my order and reported them to Trading standards. I'm unable to comment on their products, but I would not deal with them as a company.

I then re-ordered from Silver Screens who are in the same area as Taylormade. Screens delivered at advertised cost - no problems. Would recommend Silver Screens.

Can only speak as I find. Having purchased Taylormade screens at Peterborough Show and fitted them to the van I found them to be a very poor fit. I returned to the stall and the sales lady came down to the van and on inspecting them agreed they did not fit correctly, couldn't have been more pleasant. With no prompting she said no worries use them as best they are and she would make some more up when they returned to their production area corrected where they were wrong, as these were the only ones they had available at the show, and that she would send them out to me when made and collect the errant ones at the same time, she took my name and address details at the time.

After not hearing anything for over a month I contacted them and they apologised and said they would deal with it straight away. The replacements arrived the next day and the originals were taken away by the delivery man. On fitting the new ones to the van fitted worse than the originals and no fitting pieces were with them!!

To be fair to them when I phoned them they said to return them and they would give me a full refund, fair enough but I still didn't get what I was trying to buy.

I would therefore, if you are going to purchase from Taylormade, make sure you do it at a show, not by post, so that you can get an instant refund without incurring postal charges to return them!

Had some made to measure locally, dearer but at least they fit correctly.

Bas

The whole silver screen idea I found to be totally unsuitable for our needs and I would much rather wipe the windscreen every morning than faff about with silver screens.

They block out daylight and the view, they are a faff to fit and remove and bulky to store, especially when wet.

If you stay on a site for long periods in very cold or very hot climates I can perhaps see that the insulation might be useful but on balance I found the disadvantages far outweighed the advantages for us, so I sold 'em!

They can be likened to that old song about the king's new clothes with so many people buying them simply because they've seen others use them and heard how wonderful they are.

Maybe they are useful for some folks, depending on how you use your van but I would suggest not for everyone.

The same can be said of ehu and we managed very well for 50 years without that umbilical cord too!

I sometimes think we get too obsessed with add ons!!

Our experience is very positive.

We don't have windscreen blinds so pulling curtains in a small van removed a lot of space behind the swivel chairs. The Silver Screen means that we don't have to do that now and we have been amazed how much storage extra space that has created on the floor and dashboard. It is probably less of an advantage in a larger van.

We have found it definitely helps to keep the van warm during the winter. We were still warm in the recent snow, whereas previously we found the cold came through the windscreen/side lights and then under the curtains at the bottom. We have not used it during the summer yet so can't comment whether it helps to keep it cool.

It does reduce light, but is easy to open up and as we have roof lights it has not been a problem. But I suspect if you are below about 5'9" it might be more tricky to open easily during the day. Fitting seems quick and easy, only a couple of minutes. Certainly quicker than trying to remove condensation each morning, which it has also totally eradicated.

I suspect it is one of those marmite things, you will love it or hate it. We bought a Silver Screen by the way.

Like tracker says, there are no right or wrong ways, just different. We are all entitled to do things in a way that suits us.

But I have to disagree with him about external screens. I find mine easy to put on and off, and storage takes up the same space wet or dry.

The advantage of them is that they offer good insulation on a cold night and more or less totally eradicate condensation to the cab windows when in place. I use mine practically every night.

When mine wears out I will buy another. i just won't buy taylormade again. I'll buy silverscreens. I’ve had both, and they are better. They fit better and the company is more pleasant to deal with.

trevor166uk - 2018-01-27 3:28 PM

Like tracker says, there are no right or wrong ways, just different. We are all entitled to do things in a way that suits us.

But I have to disagree with him about external screens. I find mine easy to put on and off, and storage takes up the same space wet or dry.

The advantage of them is that they offer good insulation on a cold night and more or less totally eradicate condensation to the cab windows when in place. I use mine practically every night.

When mine wears out I will buy another. i just won't buy taylormade again. I'll buy silverscreens. I’ve had both, and they are better. They fit better and the company is more pleasant to deal with.

I also agree, They are great. They do stop condensation in our van, We have a blind and curtains at side doors,but do not need to use these when silver screen on. Our van has large windows and 2 roof lights , so get plenty of light , and can get very hot in sun . We dont; camp in winter, but on our trips to and Spain , help with insulation in the mountains !

Look on line for second hand ones, Bought ours off one of the posters on this forum, who had changed vans !!

PJay

Archived