Telly Troubles

sniffy

I's be grateful for some input on a telly issue. We got our secondhand van about 4/5 weeks ago and I'm gradually getting to grips with all the things not covered (or covered badly) in the manual. Several trips away have accelerated the learning process.

So now, I'm ready to address the telly situation. It may sound incredible but sometimes my company is not sufficient to keep my wife entertained after a long, rainy day on a farm-based CL near Slough and she would like to watch TV. The van has a roof mounted aerial, "flying saucer" type which I'm assuming is an omni-directional one. The van is from 1999 so I'm also assuming this was for analogue TV. I've just tried a tiny analogue/digital TV we got from Maplin in 2007 for our first van and which we used with a cheap satellite system. I'm getting a "No Signal" message after trying it plugged into the onboard aerial and I'm wondering if this is because the aerial only worked with the now defunct analogue broadcasts.

Finally, the actual question. Will an aerial of this vintage work with digital TV?

Thanks,

sniffy

crocs - 2017-06-19 7:54 PM

It should work.

Is there more than one outlet from the aerial on the wall? Is the coax connected to the correct outlet?

The cable enters the van and goes into a box which controls signal strength. There is the another cable exiting which presumably goes to single co-ax socket mounted on the van wall. So, only one outlet.

sniffy

I have the same antennae wired into a Signal amplifier, which has a Red LED to show it is active and boosting the signal.

The output from the Signal amplifier then goes to a the reverse side of a junction box, which has on the other side, the TV Arial outlet.

I have a digital TV that then successfully uses that arial point.

However, you do need to be in a strong signal area, as the antennae is not great quality.

I did initially have issues, so ran a temporary cable from the TV direct to the TV amplifier and it worked.

Dismantled the junction box to find poor connections, etc.

On such an old setup it is well worth dismantling and remaking every connection on every plug.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial, however in some areas the range of channels required to cover all multiplexes (groups of channels) changed.

Aerials designed for caravans or motorhomes are by nature wideband devices, so should be OK.

In the UK main TV transmitters use horizontal polarisation, and lower power local repeaters use vertical polarisation. The type of aerial that you have is by its shape best suited for receiving horizontally polarised signals, but should be OK except in poor signal areas.

Alan

Mike B. - 2017-06-19 8:57 PM

Have you tried auto scan on digital as well as analogue? If there is a signal it should pick it up but if you are scannining analogue and the signal is digital it will show 'No Signal'

Yes - I did an auto digital scan...

sniffy

aandncaravan - 2017-06-19 9:02 PM

I have the same antennae wired into a Signal amplifier, which has a Red LED to show it is active and boosting the signal.

The output from the Signal amplifier then goes to a the reverse side of a junction box, which has on the other side, the TV Arial outlet.

I have a digital TV that then successfully uses that arial point.

However, you do need to be in a strong signal area, as the antennae is not great quality.

I did initially have issues, so ran a temporary cable from the TV direct to the TV amplifier and it worked.

Dismantled the junction box to find poor connections, etc.

On such an old setup it is well worth dismantling and remaking every connection on every plug.

Good points - I'll go over the connections tomorrow; co-axial plugs do seem to have a habit of working loose.

sniffy

Alanb - 2017-06-19 10:58 PM

There is no such thing as a digital aerial, however in some areas the range of channels required to cover all multiplexes (groups of channels) changed.

Aerials designed for caravans or motorhomes are by nature wideband devices, so should be OK.

In the UK main TV transmitters use horizontal polarisation, and lower power local repeaters use vertical polarisation. The type of aerial that you have is by its shape best suited for receiving horizontally polarised signals, but should be OK except in poor signal areas.

Alan

Alan - that sounds hopeful. I'll persevere.

sniffy

aandncaravan - 2017-06-19 9:02 PM

.....On such an old setup it is well worth dismantling and remaking every connection on every plug.

Success - that was the problem and it wasn't a connection in the old set-up. It was one of the co-axial plugs on the lead I was using.

Number of channels is quite limited but got BBC1; BBC2; BBC4 so that's the essentials covered. There's others but they mainly seem second-rate, pot-boiler type channels (I'm no expert on TV channels). :-D

Thanks for all the input.

sniffy

sniffy - 2017-06-20 5:13 PM Success - that was the problem and it wasn't a connection in the old set-up. It was one of the co-axial plugs on the lead I was using.Number of channels is quite limited but got BBC1; BBC2; BBC4 so that's the essentials covered. There's others but they mainly seem second-rate, pot-boiler type channels (I'm no expert on TV channels). :-D Thanks for all the input.sniffy

You're next problem might be your OH wanting something slightly better than the tiny TV you bought in 2007 from Maplins!

StuartO - 2017-06-20 5:37 PMYou're next problem might be your OH wanting something slightly better than the tiny TV you bought in 2007 from Maplins!

I shall be polite but firm in resisting such a suggestion - my munificence has its limits and so far, I've shelled out for a new co-axial plug on this project. Enough is enough! :-D sniffy

Hi, is the aerial completely circular, or slightly ovoid shaped, and is there a mechanism for tilting the aerial from horizontal to vertical, by a little crank handle at the bottom of the little mast..

The ovoid shaped one has slight directional abilities, adjusted by rotating the stub mast ..can the aerial be raised and lowered a bit from inside the van cupboard.

Certainly it pays to clean up all the connectors .

Have fun watching corrie, and neighbours, and make sure you have some good books to read!!!!!.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2017-06-20 8:35 PM

Hi, is the aerial completely circular, or slightly ovoid shaped, and is there a mechanism for tilting the aerial from horizontal to vertical, by a little crank handle at the bottom of the little mast..

The ovoid shaped one has slight directional abilities, adjusted by rotating the stub mast ..can the aerial be raised and lowered a bit from inside the van cupboard.

Certainly it pays to clean up all the connectors .

Have fun watching corrie, and neighbours, and make sure you have some good books to read!!!!!.

Tonyg3nwl

Tony - no, none of those things. Actually, the roof is so high, I've yet to look on top but I'm not aware of any mast or or rising or lowering device.

She doesn't watch corrie or neighbours but DOES watch Eastenders - just as bad if not worse. I have a very well-stocked Kindle - such a great invention.

sniffy

Archived