Thetford cassette toilet jamming

htrevor

Hi

Can anyone help. I have a 4 month old Fiat Ducato Westfalia. The Thetford C263s cassette toilet for the last couple of months has been constantly jamming I.e the lid in the hole. I have taken it to a caravan service guy on site and 2 other retailers, the last being one of 3 main Thetford service agents in the country for which I had to travel a couple of hundred miles. They have all fixed it so that it works o.k but after a few days it jams again. The main service agent said the cog was round the wrong way. I have been told which way the guides on the cog should be facing when refitting the cassette after emptying but still it jams. It seems as though the problem is something to do with me, but I cannot see how. It doesn’t jam after I have refitted the cassette either, so their is no pattern to the jamming. I would be very grateful for any info anyone has as it’s really driving me mad.

Many thanks

Trevor

Ps. Before anyone asks I did contact my van supplier but they said that they do not have any experience with these toilets, so it would probably be better to source a repairer locally as I live 70 miles away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you mean that the round lid on the cassette that you need to open before using the toilet is jamming. If so seeing as yours is relatively new perhaps with cassette removed can you then open the lid and spray some type of lub on the seals which maybe sticking?

Am I being naive here, but if it’s 4 months old surely it is still under warranty? If you’ve had it repaired several times but problem is still recurring, demand that the dealer who sold it to you replaces the cassette under warranty. (Not that cost should come into it, but a replacement cassette is not that expensive, after all.). Very strange for a dealer selling motorhomes to claim they know nothing about cassette toilets.

Hi Witzen

Yes did put some olive oil down the loo as recommended by first guy and after he made it work the second time he sprayed a lubricant on the cogs but it pretty soon jammed again. The last company that looked at it and were Thetford approved service agents had spoke to Thetford in Holland before seeing my vehicle. They then sent a new cog but after seeing my vehicle they replaced the cog even though there was nothing wrong with the cog. They did say the cog was the wrong way round though. They did say that there was no need for a lubricant on the cogs and also the brochure says “ never use Vaseline or vegetable oil to lubricate the seals as this may cause leakage to your waste holding tank”. Pretty soon after the last visit the cog jammed again. I have turned the cog around 180 degrees but nothing seems to work. I don’t see how a seemingly simple component like this can be causing me so many problems. Before it jams all I do is take it out to empty and put it straight back without touching anything else.

Many thanks

Trevor

Hi Solwaybuggier

Yes I know it makes sense but they don’t really want anything to do with it and I know that if I travel 70 miles down to see them I will probably be wasting my time based on all my other experiences with them.

Many thanks

Trevor

Is there any chance your trying to shut the flap to tight I know if mine has been shut tight it's liable to be hard to open and the mechanism isn't very heavy that links the handle to the cassette. I've only ever used washing liquid in mine so it's always soapy and well lubricated (Lidl Formil)

Another thought when cassette is out of van pour some washing liquid around the control which opens the flap I lubricate mine like this occasionally

Hi, when you take the cassette out can you by hand turn the orange knob that opens the flap? if you can then it is not the cassette, it is the mechanisim in the toilet, if you cant then the problem is with the cassette, whilst the cassette is out, move the lever on the toilet back and forth if this jams then it is the lever or the cogs that are jamming, if it is freely moving,then it is the alignment between the orange knob and the slot it goes into, if it is that then you will probably need an all new mechanism, which the dealer should provide free under warrenty, hope you understood all that *-) phew! :D

Jonathan

htrevor - 2019-01-14 8:16 PM

Hi Solwaybuggier

Yes I know it makes sense but they don’t really want anything to do with it and I know that if I travel 70 miles down to see them I will probably be wasting my time based on all my other experiences with them.

Many thanks

Trevor

If they’re that unhelpful (understatement) then maybe at some point that suits you it might be worth naming & shaming? These are legal obligations.

Hi Jonathan

Yes the orange knob moves freely when the cassette is out and opens the flap fully and whilst the cassette is out the handle in the bathroom is totally jammed. I will probably reluctantly then consult the dealer for an all new mechanism as you advise. The only thing that is worrying is that it might be something that I am doing wrong. All the repairers have managed to get it working ok which it has continued to do so for a little while before it jams. The last repairer who were Thetford approved service repairers said the round cog was the wrong way round but that there was nothing wrong with the cog. They did advise me to make sure that the handle was fully closed before extracting the cassette which I have been checking ever since except for the one occasion when I felt a little resistance and immediately checked the handle where I found that it was not fully closed, but it did not jam immediately. But you are right and I should get get in touch with my dealer albeit reluctantly as even if they do agree to replace the mechanism they will take ages to do it and I am desperate to start travelling abroad. Really appreciate your help.

Regards

Trevor

htrevor - 2019-01-14 11:25 PM

Hi Witzend

Yes. I probably do shut it vigorously and it’s very hard to open and close it before it eventually jams. Not sure how you use washing up liquid, do you pour some down the hole occasionally?

Regards

Trevor

Try shutting it gently as long as its shut slamming it across isn't needed I use liquid laundry soap in place of toilet fluid and lubricate the orange knob with a little I don't think your supposed to be able to operate lever with cassette removed

looking at the they ford website, the 263 has the orange cassette which must be the most popular one on most sites...

could you try your cassettle in another van and try another cassette in your van.

good old fashioned problem solving....if the problem moves....etc...

you'll soon find where the issue is...

Hi Robert Williams

I can confirm that I did not purchase the vehicle from Campersales. I have had 4.5 months of problems with the van and dealer but I am a little uncertain about naming the dealer. I will answer anyone who wishes to know privately though and the problems I have had.

Trevor

Trevor,

On a quick scan of the thread, I cannot find any mention of checking the cassette position.

If the cassette is too far in, or out, the operating mechanism will not line up correctly with the knob on the cassette. Perhaps you have checked this already, but if the cassette is not latched in the correct position, the mechanism will either jam, or at least be difficult to operate.

My apologies the contributor, if I have overlooked a previous mention of this possibility.

Alan

I have had two problems in the past that prevented the flap from opening. The first was related to the cassette not being pushed in far enough. There is small lip of plastic just at the base of opening of the cassette box and you need to ensure that you press the lever under the handle to lift it over this lip. I didn’t appreciate this initially but most of the time the lever will lift itself over the lip if you have given it a firm push but if I had been too gentle pushing the cassette in the lever would not ride up over the lip and the cassette would not be fully seated causing the flap not to open.

The second issue I had but only once was related to a loose plastic cover plate that sits in the base of the cassette box over a rectangular recess. The leading edge of the plate had bent up for some reason and the cassette caught it pushing it backwards and then up vertically at the back of the box thus preventing the flap from seating properly. The flap appeared to be working but, as the opening was not properly sealed water (not all pure!!) leaked into the cassette box then found its way into the living area and ruined the carpets.

I managed to flatten the plate by heating and have also fixed the leading edge with duct tape to prevent a reoccurrence.

michaelmorris - 2019-01-15 1:55 PM

I'll echo the posts of others. I wouldn't spend any more time on it. It is under warranty, get the dealer you bought it from to sort it at their expense. Legally it is their responsibility to get it sorted.

Thank you Michael

Alanb - 2019-01-15 4:58 PM

Trevor,

On a quick scan of the thread, I cannot find any mention of checking the cassette position.

If the cassette is too far in, or out, the operating mechanism will not line up correctly with the knob on the cassette. Perhaps you have checked this already, but if the cassette is not latched in the correct position, the mechanism will either jam, or at least be difficult to operate.

My apologies the contributor, if I have overlooked a previous mention of this possibility.

Alan

Hi Alan

I will check that tomorrow. Many thanks for your help.

Trevor

Don636 - 2019-01-15 6:31 PM

I have had two problems in the past that prevented the flap from opening. The first was related to the cassette not being pushed in far enough. There is small lip of plastic just at the base of opening of the cassette box and you need to ensure that you press the lever under the handle to lift it over this lip. I didn’t appreciate this initially but most of the time the lever will lift itself over the lip if you have given it a firm push but if I had been too gentle pushing the cassette in the lever would not ride up over the lip and the cassette would not be fully seated causing the flap not to open.

The second issue I had but only once was related to a loose plastic cover plate that sits in the base of the cassette box over a rectangular recess. The leading edge of the plate had bent up for some reason and the cassette caught it pushing it backwards and then up vertically at the back of the box thus preventing the flap from seating properly. The flap appeared to be working but, as the opening was not properly sealed water (not all pure!!) leaked into the cassette box then found its way into the living area and ruined the carpets.

I managed to flatten the plate by heating and have also fixed the leading edge with duct tape to prevent a reoccurrence.

Hi Don

Great. The first possibility you mention might be the answer as sometimes the handle fits under the lip snugly and other times it doesn’t but I haven’t thought that it might be important. I will check that definitely tomorrow. I presume that you mean the handle that extends right out for transport purpose? I will also check your second option. Many thanks.

Trevor

Archived