Thule Electric Step

Technical

Hi - some wiring advice - I’ve just put an electric Thule single step on my transit custom - I want to wire it into an auto retract mode where when the handbrake is released it automatically retracts the step back in - there is a permanent 12vdc going to the handbrake release switch - when the handbrake is on the 12v goes through the switch to the dash panel indicator - no 12v when the handbrake is released on this side when the handbrake is released.

I have wired the switch in and located it on the side sliding door pillar.

I think I will need a relay switch that will switch the 12v When triggered by the loss of the 12v when handbrake released. Anyone wired anything up like this ?? How did you do it ??

Thanks

I am sorry, but I do not think that the above is a good idea. I am not familiar with the details of the Transit wiring, but I would expect that the handbrake warning light is only energised when the ignition is turned on. I cannot expect the warning light to be illuminated 24/7.

The more usual methods for making the step auto retract are via an ignition controlled supply, or from the D+ signal (alternator field) connection. A substitute for the D+ connection would be to connect the relay coil to the alternator controlled 12V power supply of a 3 way fridge, with a low rated fuse.

I prefer the to use the D+ signal by tapping into the fridge, rather than the direct ignition controlled system, as the latter results in the step retracting when switching on the ignition to check the odometer reading, after arriving on site. Partner may not appreciate this, opens door and oops!

That being said, for the more usual methods you require a standard 12V automotive changeover relay, inserted between the step orange wire (terminal 30), and the appropriate terminal of the manual switch to relay terminal 87a. A 20A or 25A fused supply should be connected to relay terminal 87. The relay coil negative must be connected to earth via the step limit switch. (Normally the grey wire with the brown wire earthed.)

Thule recommend that a 2200 micro farad capacitor is connected across the relay coil. this gives a short release delay, and ensures that the step retracts fully. This capacitor can cause problems if the relay is connected directly to D+.

Alan

My AT Tracker FB Thule step is wired to retract when the ignition is turned on as per Alan's comments above. It works well  can not say the same for the step, we are on our third. I was told the gearbox likes to strip out a tooth. Easy to fit and not too expensive so no big deal. A part of the cost of owning a MH. Cheers,

I agree with Alanb about this.

A snag with using the handbrake as a trigger for step-retraction is that drivers tend to start off immediately after the handrake is released and the step will still be retracting when the motorhome is moving. It’s preferable to trigger step-retraction when the vehicle’s motor begins to run as, by the time the vehicle starts to move, the step should be fully retracted.

As has been advised, wiring diagrams for Thule step auto-retraction are downloadable. The necessary parts are marketed on-line.

Archived