Time to hang up my hose?

Tracker

Just a quick heads up as there has already been some interest. I know this is not the place to advertise so I will try not to abuse the forum, if you will forgive me.

Our beloved 2011 Autosleeper Executive 50th Anniversary Edition will soon be advertised for sale as we are having to give up our motorhoming way of life due to ongoing ill health issues that do not look like being resolved any day soon.

There is no other reason for this sale and other than maybe a low value classic car p/x is not an option.

Some amongst you have expressed an interest in this rare one of only 50 made van in the past so may I ask that anyone now seriously interested please contact me by personal message as we would much rather it went to a private buyer (with lots of extras that we will no longer need if you want them) than to a dealer.

Price as yet undecided but open to discussion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear ill health is forcing the end of motorhoming. Realistically it is something we all face in the future. In my early days of motorhoming I found your freely given advise very useful. Thanks and best wishes for the future.

pepe63 - 2016-08-30 11:43 AM

Blimey Rich!..Sorry to hear about that.8-)

(the giving up due to health issues bit, not the sale of the van itself).

I know we've had few little ding dongs on here...but I hope all works out well.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Pepe, and I never did take our ding dongs personal like!

It's not so much about what I can't do that counts now, it's much more about what I can do and there is still plenty I can do - but we reckon a motorhome, especially to follow the semi wild nomadic style that we enjoy so much, is just too much to cope with now especially if/when things don't go to plan.

Just found this review.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/MMM%20historic%20road%20tests/Auto-Sleeper%20Executive%20MMM%20April%2011.pdf

By the way, take the ladder off the back and not only does it look better and the roof lights become more secure but it comes down to 5.98 metres!

Well Dang my Whiskers Rich, that means I will have failed to meet up with you at an event. However you can still write and advise the new owners.

Its all part of adjusting to a different way of life as many of us are now required to do. I will still look forward to learning from you whatever it is. I had noticed you were not so prominent on here lately.

I recently spent a few days in Dorset and it certainly gets no easier ... like sliding off the bed in a nylon bag ... to become wedged between the seats with visions of it being my last resting place.

Sad news, Rich. You mentioned health issues when we met up at the National Motorhome Show in 2015. I hope you find a willing buyer who gets as much as much enjoyment out of the van. It had a lovely homely feel to a classic AutoSleeper.

Stay on the forum because your experience will still be needed.

I echo all previous sentiments. I had thought there would be one day when my OH and I would meet you and we could have a bit of a laugh over a beverage. So sorry to hear you're giving up the nomadic life. Thank you for all your help and advice. Hope your MH goes to someone who appreciates it.

Veronica :-(

All the best to you Rich, one day we all will have to give up and settle down with a good book and some (I hope) happy memories.

Sorry to say I am not in the market, but if I were then I am sure that your van would be a good-un to consider.

Again, all the best ...... Michael

Sorry to hear your new Rich, but it is one of those things that will face all of us one day.

Hang on to all the happy memories of your travels, we have friends who bought a Caravan new about 6 years ago they used it twice and now it is in storage they use it occasionally on the site where its stored, they say it is too much hassle to pack it and go away. No memories. People say to us what off again, yes we worked hard now its time to enjoy ourselves, and build on all those memories.

Take care and good luck.

Once again my thanks to all you kind folks with messages and pm's and we do indeed have many happy memories and photos of some 50 plus years of independant motorhoming.

It all began in about 1964 with a 1950's ex GPO dark green Morrris Minor van (complete with rubber front wings!) fitted with a mattress in the back, quickly followed by foam backed carpet on the sides and roof to stop the condensation drips - it used to get quite hot in there at times - quickly followed by a small cooker and sink unit along one side! Ideal fishin' wagon!!!

That led to a couple of Bedford CAs Dormobile conversions and, via a number of home conversions and odds and ends, we eventually discovered the deep joys of coachbuilt comfort with a 1971 Bedford CF 2000 Autohomes (which leaked like a sieve) around 1974 - and there has been no stopping us in our wanders - until now.

Sorry to hear the sad news about you having to give up the nomadic life style for health reasons.

I've always enjoyed your posts and your innovative ways of problem solving. It's good to hear that you'll still be posting with your years of hands-on experience.

Sincerely hope your MH goes to an appreciative owner.

I'll have the shirt rich, love old things. Sorry about the change in lifestyle rich, main thing is to look after yourself and your family. I'm having to slow down a bit myself, not because off illness, just realising that I'm not as young as I were and limits creeping up a bit faster than a few years ago. Anyway, all the best my friend and hope to see you at some classic car shows sometime. TR show at Malvern next year maybe...lol

Dave

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2016-08-30 3:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and, yes, it is my intention to stay close to the forum and to my virtual friends and to offer a point of view from time to time.

Have to say I'm sadden by your post Rich........

Best wishes to you both..........

It's always sad news to hear of anyone giving up the forum - especially when they have so much to contribute - but it's much sadder to hear of someone having to give up motorhoming altogether. My best wishes for better health are with you tracker and I sincerely hope other interests fill the void that giving up will leave for you.

Best regards

Davif

Archived