Tips on selling van

PJay

I know this subject has been covered before, but I can not find anything in the search (I never can)

Want to put van up for sale. As we are not replacing, I thought the best idea was a private sale.

Would welcome tips, ideas and any thoughts from others on here, who maybe have done so.

my main worry would be clearing the money from buyer, and don't want time wasters.

If put with a dealer, what commission would they expect? (being 12 years old , most would not be keen?)

We have sold things on ebay no problem, but not of this sort of value. (£1000.00 was our maximum sale)

So guys please help with ideas.

Thanks for the good advice , I hope will come

PJay

We sold ours on a brokerage scheme through a dealer and were very pleased with the outcome. It did take longer than both we and the dealer expected but as it was a rare van (only 50 ever made) we stuck out for our price and got it.

It does require a lot of trust as it can go badly and expensively wrong if an un

scrupulous dealer (yes, they do exist!) messes you about or ceases trading, but as I have known that specific dealer (and his Dad before him) for many many years I did not see that as an issue for us.

It is a long way from you but we used http://www.wilkinsmotorcaravans.co.uk/

We paid upfront for a very thorough valet and polish and for an MOT, service, and a new battery when it was sold but that and the brokerage fee apart we were paid in full within 5 days of the sale completion.

But, are you really really truly sure, I miss my van so much it was almost like a divorce, not that I have ever experienced a divorce!

aandy - 2018-01-10 7:20 PM

"But, are you really really truly sure, I miss my van so much it was almost like a divorce, not that I have ever experienced a divorce!"

I have. I'd find it much harder to part with the van

Not me - I would much rather always have my lovely wife than the van - just!

Well that's what she told me to say anyway!

Yes will miss the van , for the freedom it gives us, BUT with age creeping up and up, we find that due to health problems both of us, that we are very restricted as to when we can get away.

There are a lot of places in Uk would like to see, but the parking in Uk and the sites are not conducive to parking an getting to places of interest without other transport I have always felt that the club sites are geared to caravans, but if any one can tell me otherwise, maybe will try!! Would have to join again.

Will try to sell privately if possible, but if not will have to try a broker maybe

Would rather sell now while still capable than leave it until real problems arise, with health issues, also it costs us to store , as no space at home, as well as tax/insurance/service charges !

Still hoping for advice from others who have sold up

PJay

When the dealer had ours it was sorn'ed and as it was covered by his trade insurance that was another saving.

I understand that our buyer needed finance which the dealer arranged as well as all the techy bits like taxing and all the paperwork

I would be a lot less enthusiastic about a broker, especially one of the newly arrived and unknown types, as opposed to a personally well known and well established dealer.

That said there are few guarantees in life and everything we do carries pros and cons and risks.

Sold our last van privately and the purchaser paid using online banking transfer. You can transfer up to £10k at a time. He notified me after he'd made the transfers and I checked my account to confirm receipt of the monies.

Did the same thing in reverse when I purchased our next van, also a private sale.

Sold my last one about this time of year and advertised in MMM. Sold to the second interested enquirer. But it was a popular brand being a Hymer 544 albeit LHD and 10 years old. The buyers just happened to want a LHD drive vehicle to tour France in search of a property. They've now bought a property and the Hymer is now on French plates.

You might get some time wasters but you just have to be patient and wait for the right person to show an interest in your pride and joy.

In preparation for my sale, I made a 4 page idiot's guide of how everything worked, including a document folder of all servicing, damp tests and extras fitted. Quite often, the purchasers of older vans will be newbies to motorhoming and need a little help and encouragement and will appreciate you going that extra mile.

Best of luck with your reluctant sale - I maybe erring towards that eventual day myself in the not too distant future 8-)

PJay - 2018-01-12 5:14 AM..... I have always felt that the club sites are geared to caravans, but if any one can tell me otherwise, maybe will try!!

I think both C&C and CAMC club sites are better for MHs I recent years, reflecting the clubs' realisation that MHs are getting a lot more popular.. People who go to club sites in a MH do tend to be people who might well have been caravanners - so they hole up isde and watch TV from 7 pm onwards!  But practical things like MH service points are a lot better than they used to be.  And you can mark your pitch as in use by a MH, in order to drive out for the day.

Robbo - 2018-01-12 2:45 PM

Sold our last van privately and the purchaser paid using online banking transfer. You can transfer up to £10k at a time. He notified me after he'd made the transfers and I checked my account to confirm receipt of the monies.

Agree with this and it's by far the safest and quick way to go though must admit when i bought my van i transferred much more than £10k so it might depend on the Bank/BS (mine was via Nationwide).

Funds paid electronically don't take long to clear and you should be able to check whilst the buyer is there....assuming they do it at point of sale.

PJay - 2018-01-11 2:14 PM

Still hoping for advice from others who have sold up

PJay

We didn't exactly' sell up', we just changed to a different life style ... reading others travels on here and looking at past pictures. It was a phase in our life that we adjusted to, as we do all the time, life never remains the same so we adapt and cater for whatever arises. The future is very interesting, its unknown.

PS ... We sold the van via a dealer and didn't haggle at all. It was bought, used and served its purpose ... job done and we don't miss it at all.

I sold my last van privately, classified ad on eBay. Here, for what it’s eorth, are my tips.

Price it realistically, it must be below what a dealer is spasking or your phone won’t ring.

Prospective buyers must come and view the van. Anyone who doesn’t is a time waster at best, more likely they’re a scammer. Accept NO tales, if they don’t come they can’t buy.

Empty the van inside and out and present it spotlessly. Buying decisions are subconsciously made very quickly.

Payment: cash is ok but pay it in before releasing the van so the bank can check for forgery. Do not take any cheque including bank draft or building society cheque: so easy to forge and often not discovered till days after the van goes. Best is direct transfer into your account. If it’s over the buyer’s banks internet banking limitget them to do a CHAPS payment even if you have to pay the £25 fee.

Where to advertise? I tried the Facebook group for my make (Bailey.). Lots of response but none sensible. There’s the Motorhome magazine sites but my preference is a classified on eBay. I believe this had the biggest audience plus you can edit the ad; I added things I’d forgotten and after two weeks with no response I reduced the price which did the trick.

Most importantly don’t talk yourself into believing a tale, the buyer must see the van must pay into your bank. There’s a lot of scammers out there.

All sound advice, but so much depends on the individual's ability to prepare a van for private sale and advertise, negotiate with buyers some of whom will be dreamers or bargain hunters and then handle and complete the sale with confidence, especially when a lot of money is at stake.

henrypartridge - 2018-01-18 7:40 PM

Indeed. There’s always the option of selling to a dealer, plenty advertising in MMM that they want to buy vans. Don’t know how much less you’d get but it’s easy I guess.

A LOT less!

Just ring 'em and ask if you really want a fright!

Archived