Tow Bar

micknhelen

I have used Mick Parkinson at Freckleton near Preston for 3 motorhome towbars, the last being a Memo type approved item fitted to my current Transit based Chausson 610 this March.

Thoroughly nice chap, who has a lot of experience & does a first rate job - I will be back next March to have a similar bar fitted to the Transit's Fiat replacement. Cost in March this year was £700 all in & took about 3 hours to fit. You don't indicate where you are based, but it is worth making a journey to get a bar fitted here.

Mick's website / contact details here : http://www.motorhometowbarslancashire.co.uk/contact-us.html

Nigel B

"for some reason the Ford seems to be easier to sort than the Fiat"

That isn't what I was led to believe when mine was fitted - Mick P said at the time that Fiats were easier than the Ford ! IIRC there are two flavours of Mk 8 Transit (Panther & Puma I think - the actual type is on the Ford chassis plate) each requiring a different interface module for the electrics & niether can use the "normal" generic interface that can be used on the Fiats - he keeps both in stock as he rarely knows what is required until the vehicle turns up.

Both my last tow bars prior to the Transit were to Fiats - the first to an X244 (CI Carioca 22) & the second to an X250 low profile motorhome chassis (Roller Team T-Line 670) & neither was problematic in any way.

The type approved Memo bar is universal & seemed easily adaptable when I watched mine being fitted.

Nigel B

Ford has used the “Puma” and “Panther” names to refer to ranges of diesel powerplants

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

The latest Euro 6 Transit Mk 8s have 2.0litre “Panther” motors

http://www.ngfglasscord.com/en-gb/news/latest-news/fords-new-panther-two-litre-ecoblue-advanced-diesel-engine-uses-belt-in-oil-technology

Prior to that the Mk 8 had 2.2litre “Puma” motors.

Re;Towtal.

We had a rear bumper with tow hitch fitted to our previous van.

The fabrication side was quite tidy but I'm not sure I'd recommend a " we'll do it while you wait " approach..

I just waited around for ours (it was all done by mid afternoon) but being wise after the event, I wished I had opted for a better,more time consuming, more expensive "paint" finish(powder coating or galvanised), as ours was starting to rust after just a few weeks......

In hindsight, I should have taken it back there and then, have them remove it from the vehicle and fully strip it and start again because I ended rubbing it down and re-painting it umpteen times during our 5 year ownership.

This was few years ago now, so things may well have changed(but still worth bearing in mind).

Archived