Tracking device

Barcobird

Here we go again but still on the insurance theme, apart from a cat 1 alarm system they require a cat 5 tracking device because of its value.

I have been quoted nearly 800 quid fitted plus the anual charge, this is for an all singing and dancing job I presume. Not wishing to cut corners but do I really need something this expensive, the insurance company says cat 5 but doesnt stipulate what it must have in it.

Anyone had experience of these things and any suggestions that would keep the insurance company happy.

Incidentally the one quoted is a CobraTrack

Hi

We had similar problem when we bought our latest Van, insurance insisted a Cat 1 alarm or a Tracker, as value over 50k, but did not insist on the tracker. Did however have one fitted and was amazed at what it can tell you. Pinpoints where Van is, tells you if you have been over the speed limit, how miles per day and route taken and lots more. Can buy a 3 year subscription at a reduced rate.

Unfortunately one of the downsides of buying new. Some companies will fit and give you a year free if buying new van

If the insurance company are asking for a CAT tracker then that's all they'll accept and as per other suggestions here, you may wish to shop around for alternative insurance quotes.

I know of a certain vehicle gps tracking company that offers subscriptions from just £5 per month ;-)

Not all tracker systems are "approved" by insurance companies. Check with your insurer on any make/model you chose before you have it fitted. Mine is linked with the alarm so if the alarm is triggered the tracker company 'phones me within 30 seconds. It also monitors the starter battery voltage which I can check using an app on my 'phone.

Uncle Bulgaria - 2017-01-10 4:02 PM

Not all tracker systems are "approved" by insurance companies. Check with your insurer on any make/model you chose before you have it fitted. Mine is linked with the alarm so if the alarm is triggered the tracker company 'phones me within 30 seconds. It also monitors the starter battery voltage which I can check using an app on my 'phone.

Hi Richard,

It would be helpful if you could share with us the make, if you are pleased with it, any problems, cost when fitted and annual charge *-)

I had one fitted to my 2010 Hymer Exsis,but they still managed to nick it in the early hours,tracking wasn't working has it appears to be jammed.Very little will stop a determined thief. My vehicle was 'targeted' and more or less stolen to order!

If you want a decent system which is advertised as thief proof two which can do it ar the Strikeback from VanBitz http://www.vanbitz.com/

Or Outsmart the Thief http://www.606060.com/

Better to spend £800 on these units that an expensive tracker.

out smart the thief i have one £695 + £395 for 5 years or £95 a year £2 a week is your van worth it? soon as alarm triggered they ring you....and i have had alot of false alarms! whereever you are europe etc and when it is nicked they can turn off the engine and imobilise it guaranteed or so they claim! so i reckon if it is nicked and they don't get it back...then the courts will decide if there claims stack up!

Jonathan

We used HAL LOCATE when we got our first van 3 years ago. It came with 5 years of tracking included, and is transferable if we buy a newer van. It has worked really well, the only nuisance being that you have to send a text to disarm the tracker after it auto arms after 2 hours. It can be moved for up to 500 metres without triggering the alarm. The auto arm function can be disarmed permanently, but our insurance (Comfort) wanted it to be left active.

Sorry but can't remember the price but around £500 rings a bell!

www.hal-locate.eu/

flyboyprowler - 2017-01-15 11:05 AM

We used HAL LOCATE when we got our first van 3 years ago. It came with 5 years of tracking included, and is transferable if we buy a newer van. It has worked really well, the only nuisance being that you have to send a text to disarm the tracker after it auto arms after 2 hours. It can be moved for up to 500 metres without triggering the alarm. The auto arm function can be disarmed permanently, but our insurance (Comfort) wanted it to be left active.

www.hal-locate.eu/

I notice you are in Spain as well as the U.K. and with comfort insurance, are you on their normal policy or the long term jobby?

Didn't have to have a tracker on our van, insured with Comfort. However, we did have to have an alarm fitted.

I'd have some reservations about a tracker. It increases the likelihood of getting your van back after theft, the question is, would you really want it back under those circumstances? All things being equal, I think I'd sooner start again!

Brian Kirby - 2017-01-15 1:19 PM

Didn't have to have a tracker on our van, insured with Comfort. However, we did have to have an alarm fitted.

I'd have some reservations about a tracker. It increases the likelihood of getting your van back after theft, the question is, would you really want it back under those circumstances? All things being equal, I think I'd sooner start again!

Had a top notch alarm fitted cat 1 and Comfort insist on tracker cat 5 as well because of its valuation, so no tracker no insurance :-|

Barcobird - 2017-01-15 1:59 PM

flyboyprowler - 2017-01-15 11:05 AM

www.hal-locate.eu/

I notice you are in Spain as well as the U.K. and with comfort insurance, are you on their normal policy or the long term jobby?

We are on their normal policy as not living in Spain, just regular visitors.

Had a top notch alarm fitted cat 1 and Comfort insist on tracker cat 5 as well because of its valuation, so no tracker no insurance :-|

If it were me, it would probably depend on the circumstances of the theft.

Were it stolen and recovered a few hours later with typical lock damage I'd be over the moon to get it back.

However, if it were recovered a couple of days or even weeks later (HIGHLY unlikely) then no, I probably wouldn't want it back for fear of the unknown :D

Barcobird - 2017-01-10 10:08 PM

Uncle Bulgaria - 2017-01-10 4:02 PM

Hi Richard,

It would be helpful if you could share with us the make, if you are pleased with it, any problems, cost when fitted and annual charge *-)

Hi Barcobird.

Reluctant as I am to disclose details of the security devices fitted to my motorhome even amongst the august membership of this forum I've sent you a P.M..

• 6 months later...
kevandali - 2017-07-20 10:18 AMJust going through the same thing with Caravan guard, what a pain in the arse.

See if you can find their cut off point on valuation for a tracking device. You might find that by reducing your valuation by a couple of thousand would drop it into the category of not requiring a tracker *-)

Barcobird - 2017-07-20 10:29 AM
kevandali - 2017-07-20 10:18 AMJust going through the same thing with Caravan guard, what a pain in the arse.

See if you can find their cut off point on valuation for a tracking device. You might find that by reducing your valuation by a couple of thousand would drop it into the category of not requiring a tracker *-)
It's £55,000 and above with Caravan Guard.

We changed our insurance, from Caravan Guard,(Due to claim which was not our fault, van was parked) Had problems with them! Now with safeguard , Cheaper and BETTERPjay

Archived