Travel Insurance - Ooch!

Vernon B

Just received my renewal notice from the C&M Club for their Annual Multi-Trip Motoring & Personal Standard cover with a quote of £433.00 less 5% if I renew promptly. This for trips of up to 66 days. Pretty reasonable I thought since it was basically the same as last year - BUT!

I have since changed the 'van - same make - same model - same dimensions (6.4mx2.3mx3.0m) - but having a max gross weight of 4.5t rather than 3.850t.

On calling the C&M Club to renew the policy and advise them of this change I was informed that the premium would now be £614.65 due to the costs involved in recovering a heavier vehicle Now I can appreciate that the extra weight might be a factor in determining the type of recovery vehicle I do have problems understanding why it should add something approaching 50% to the premium - bearing mind that the policy is a very comprehensive one covering not only breakdown and recovering but also medical care and repatriation.

Suffice to say I'm now looking for alternative quotes - any thoughts?

V

We too found Comfort to be as good as any for van insurance and breakdown and recovery.

Google NFOP - National Federation of Occupational Pensioners - and see if their travel insurance that covers pre existing conditions without penalty as long as your medical advisers give you the OK to travel.

I still have my 2013 Frankia 740 BD and pay £346 per annum to Comfort which includes full European breakdown and covers the weight for recovery. Only problem is the windscreen cover is only up to £3000 !

Had a new windscreen 2 years ago and managed to source a genuine Frankia screen fitted for £2999 after horrendous quotes from Autoglass.

Glad to see you have stayed with a Frankia !! Except for managing to have a bollard , and on another trip , a Spanish car reverse into my back bumper , still no problems with the van !!

Vernon

The cost of a Comfort Insurance motothome policy that includes breakdown/recovery abroad is likely to exceed £300.

The cost of an NFOP Travel Insurance policy (mentioned by Tracker) for people aged 50-79 and including the NFOP subscription, would be £205 for an individual or £285 for a couple.

So you may find it difficult to better the C&M Club’s quote of £614 for a policy that combines ‘motor’ and ‘travel’ insurance.

Having said that, even if there were no huge overall financial savings, opting for two separate policies - one for the motorhome and the other for travel - might provide improved benefits. Conversely, having a single point of contact (eg. the C&M Club) has its attractions...

Am I misreading the title of this post?

I thought he was asking about personal travel cover, as apposed to van cover? Or is it combined

We have van cover, obviously , and a separate cover for personal travel cover

Please enlighten me ?

PJay

P Jay

The title of Vernon’s original posting might suggest that only a conventional ‘travel’ insurance policy is involved, but if you read the posting you’ll see that he says that the Caravan and Mototrhome Club policy that he has and is due for renewal “...is a very comprehensive one covering not only breakdown and recovering but also medical care and repatriation”.

Vernon has a C&M Club Motoring & Personal Cover ‘combination’ overseas insurance policy.

A summary of the policy’s scope is here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/insurance/overseas-holiday-insurance/types-of-cover/

and fuller details are here

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/globalassets/pdfs/insurance/overseas-holiday-insurance-motoring-and-personal-policy-booklet.pdf

Thanks Derek, did not realise you could get combined, not being a member of the clubs now.

That cost does not seem to bad then (the original), as personal travel can be expensive cover, depending on age!

PJay

The higher cost is probably due to the new van being a higher value, as well as the weight upgrade

StuartO - 2017-12-08 4:13 PM

Have a look at the travel cover and breakdown cover provided by nationwide with their Flex Plus Current Account.  The breakdown part covers MHs up to 8 metres long with no weight limit.

Ditto.

We use this as it covers all our vehicles, home or in europe. OK they charge per month but there are other plus benefits included.

This means I can look for cheaper motor insurance that don't include breakdown.

Used Advance Insurance last renewal, saved as much as the Flex Plus cost per annum.

HTH

B-)

Many thanks for the responses; they have given me a number of useful leads to follow-up, which I will be doing over the Christmas period. Thanks to Derek for providing a precise account of my situation and to Ian for saying hello – Ian I have sent you a PM to your Tiscali address.

Best Christmas wishes to all

V.

Is it me but are we still to hear the first rendition of Slade’s “Merry Christmas Everybody” this Christmas?

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-08 4:47 PM

Vernon

The cost of a Comfort Insurance motothome policy that includes breakdown/recovery abroad is likely to exceed £300.

The cost of an NFOP Travel Insurance policy (mentioned by Tracker) for people aged 50-79 and including the NFOP subscription, would be £205 for an individual or £285 for a couple.

So you may find it difficult to better the C&M Club’s quote of £614 for a policy that combines ‘motor’ and ‘travel’ insurance.

Having said that, even if there were no huge overall financial savings, opting for two separate policies - one for the motorhome and the other for travel - might provide improved benefits. Conversely, having a single point of contact (eg. the C&M Club) has its attractions...

But surely the Comfort quote is including the motorhomes comprehensive cover for road use, whereas the CMC is purely overseas breakdown/recovery and travel insurance! Adding your two hypothetical costs together is still cheaper than the OP's package and includes annual road insurance, so what was the OP's cost with road insurance included. I know that I was a regular user of the CMC Red Pennant for years but it just become to costly so I have not used for around ten years now.

Also the answer implies that the NFOP travel insurance cover is only available between the ages of 50 to 79, however that is the age range at which you can join up, once you are members it has no upper limit. Also it should be understood that it is worldwide cover, including cruises, and has NO medical questionnaire and covers ALL existing conditions providing you have not been told you are unfit to travel by a doctor.

For some this alone makes it a worthwhile policy, we found our premiums were going up and up each time some new medical condition or treatment was reported and being able to just take out the policy with nothing to report at a far cheaper cost than our existing made it worthwhile.

Bas

Archived