Traveling to Spain in Motorvan in January

Frank Beevers

Hi, I travelled through France to Spain days after Christmas from 2000 until 2012, the trips varied from spring weather to minus 8deg, even travelling in convoy behind snowploughs on return journeys in March. Usually you will have a fairly uneventful trip with no worries,good luck.

Several times, we always go via Calais ferry though, plenty of Aires open through France ,we go Calais Rouen, Biarritz, Victoria Gasteiz ,Pamplona ,then decide from there sometimes we are heading for Portugal so deviate our route at this point, we have had snow and ice on some trips and needed snow chains one trip as we were using the Bielsa tunnel, not a lot of fun snow chains,we never use pay roads, no need too the other roads are fine, and we have plenty of time.The weather is what you get but it is all very easy though, have fun.

Frank Beevers - 2018-09-20 12:38 PM

Hi,

Thank you all for your advice. I was a little concerned about making the trip but these helpful suggestions regarding the best routes has eased my worries.

My advice would be to use the “western route” through France, we’ve done it loads of times, usually pretty cold until south of Bordeaux. Also use the toll roads, and you’ll make much better time at little cost. For example down to Abbeville/Rouen then around Poitier.

We’ve given up on France and this winter taking the ferry to Santander, that drive down and back through France was putting years on me!

Slightly o/topic but it surprises me how much more temperate the UK climate is (generally). Compared with the south of France and Spain in winter despite being Mediterranean climates.

From experience in Perpignan, snow broke the roofs of UK mobile homes as the load exceeded the design loadings. Came and went in a week, but the damage was done.

You cannot get much further south in France at sea level.

Rgds

derek500 - 2018-09-20 4:07 PM

We usually go west and cross the Pyrenees via the Somport Tunnel. Never use tolls as they cost a fortune and get to Spain (Valencia area) from the channel ports in three days.

Second that route. We have also done in 3 days from Caen /Cherbourg , never bother with toll roads either

From Somport fast route via Zaragoza to south of Valencia

PJay

phalange - 2018-09-25 6:18 PM

it is a good route but the OP question was 'in January'. So i would check and double check the forecast as you could be heading into several inches, if not feet of snow.

We always go in January and check the forecast before we leave the A63, south of Bordeaux before the toll section.

If it's bad we'd detour via Hendaye to Pamplona and on to Zaragoza. It would have to be very bad to miss the cheap diesel at Simply in Huesca, though!!

Remember that if you are travelling through France in the winter that you will most likely be in Aires, and if it's cold you will want heating, so ensure you have enough gas, a shovel and snow socks or chains!

Depending which part of the south you want to go may dictate your route, but the Somport tunnel will generally prove a good way through the Pyrenees, especially if your are heading Malaga way.

We have been going to the Spain for the last 10 years leaving the 2nd week of January, returning 1st week of march.We used to go through the tunnel and then take the western route crossing the border at Hendaye before heading to Pamplona, Teruel and Valencia and then down to wherever we fancy. More recently we have been taking the ferry to Santander or Bilbao, then , if the ferry arrives on time, heading for a first stop at Arranjuez before heading south.as another post mentioned Madrid is well above sea level and you do not notice any rise in temperature until you get 30 miles south of Madrid.We have stayed at the campsite in Riaza , north of Madrid, on a couple of occasions and been completely snowed in- there is a ski resort behind the campsite! No worries however as there are numerous snow ploughs to keep the roads clear.

We avoid France these days as it takes us 3 days to cross as opposed to 24 hours on the ferry, also the roundabouts are a real pain in the rear. We consider french toll roads an extravagance but go on Spanish toll roads without a second thought.

Hope you have a good trip whichever way you go.

Bob

Archived