Trigano Tribute

Mrs Sea

Having sort of decided on a low profile coachbuilt we are now having second thoughts and have been looking at Panel Van Hitops. The Trigano Tribute LWB seems to fit the bill, though obviously not as luxurious as the coachbuilt option. Has anyone got one who would be willing to share Pros and Cons of this particular van.

Depreciation seems to be a bigger problem with these vans hence we are looking at newish 2nd hand.

We would be grateful for anyones thoughts.

Thanks

We have a silver Trigano Tribute on a 56 plate which we bought last September. We are really pleased with it. It's very spacious inside, with ample storage.

Our previous van was a small coachbuilt but we were unable to park it at the back of the house due to the width, but this van fits quite nicely and is out of sight.

It has a four ring hob with an oven type grill, full size fridge, toilet compartment which, though small, is quite ample. Also diesel heating which hardly seems to use much fuel and is very effective. Not noisy either; you can't hear it outside. We have checked! Loads of blown air vents, one in the cab area, three in the lounge area and one in the toilet.

We are glad we didn't wait for the new 2007 Tributes, they dont have this particular layout.

If there is anything specific you would like to know just ask away.

Pam

We were not impressed by the overall build quality of the Tribute but the price reflected that.

Also we later found out that it is impossible to remove the fridge from the van without stripping out a lot of the furniture. Fortunately the fridge can be serviced from the out side of the van.

We have met two Tribute owners on our travels and both were very unhappy with the condition of their vehicles, one we met in Portugal had driven straight from the UK with a new van and the interior was coming apart.

Don

Went to check out a new one today- we looked at both the 550 and the 650 although the 550 got a better inspection as that was the one we're interested in.

First impression was of shoddy workmanship. Door catch already broken, sawdust inside all the seat bases. Battery connections under the single rear seat made up incorrectly at the factory making it impossible to close the battery compartment lid. (Could be fixed) Factory debris everywhere !!!

Swivel seats very nice, upholstery seems good quality and well padded. I think the upholstery is done in England though.

Working aft, the seats are hard to make into a bed. The slats catch on the runners, the runners are stiff, the supporting legs drag the floor making it quite an effort to pull. Overall, the main seating/ bed are what is putting me off this van at the moment.

Access to under the seats is really badly thought out. You have to pull the single seat forward, remove the slats to get at the little hatch. Main bench seat the same except there is a little door on the side giving access to a small cupboard. Poor design in my opinion and easliy sorted if they'd thought it through.

The kitchen area looks really good to me. reasonable storage and the fridge on top the the wardrobe on the nearside gives easy access. Nice drop-down shelf across the rear gives extra worktop.

Bathroom is small but OK for this size of van. Sink and shower base look very flimsy. I'd expect trouble here. A door catch was already fallen off. Not good on a brand new van.

The 650 separate shower would be better combined into a single room for more space. The dividing wall is just taking up elbowroom. One large room would be far better because you can't enter the shower except through the toilet anyway. Just my opinion of course, others might like the arrangement.

The extra full-height wardrobe at the rear of the 650 makes a big difference when living in the van I imagine.

Why no rear window in the 650? You could still see even with the rear wardrobe.

High cupboards are all good. Don't like the open shelf between them. What use this would be I can't yet see. Stuff falling out all over the place I think. And you don't really want to stow foodstuffs in view do you?

Problems for us?

1. Bed making design very poor.

2. Quality and workmanship dubious but perhaps acceptable at the asking price when compared to similar vans which can be £6000 to £16000 more than the Trigano.

3.Stowage space poor when compared to our Autosleeper Symbol. Can't use the above-cab cupboard for bedding for example. As far as I can see, bedding can really only go in the bottom of the wardrobe - robs space for clothes.

Also, nowhere to stow outside table and two chairs.

4. Seats/bed is REALLY high. I'm 5' 10" and I can just touch the floor, my wifes feet were dangling 6" off the floor. What are they thinking about?

Plus points.

1. Could be good value if the conversion doesn't give trouble.

2. Fiat van is lovely. Six speed gearbox and 120HP. Nice seating, dash, electric everything. Very nice.

3. High spec for the money, electric step, nice front blinds, lots of goodies. (Remis?)

4. Outside the van looks as good as it gets. This is to my eyes anyway. Others will disagree, naturally.

Conclusions?

Having big doubts over the seating/ bed making arrangement. Hate that part and it might be the one thing that stops me buying.

Lack of thought around stowage in general. The potential is there to make far better and more user-friendly use of the space.

Think I might wait until they make a few changes to the production model because I think there will be a lot of feedback similar to mine!!

But,if they improve the seat/bed and stowage, tighten up on quality and workmanship, then it could be a winner.

Thanks Pam, Don and Machinehead for taking the time to give us your thoughts.

We too thought the 2nd hand Tribute we saw would need some work on it, particularly the slatted bed base which you couldn't pull out due to the carpet. The sawdust is a regular feature though in a lot of coachbuilt vans we have seen - more fool the dealer me thinks for not preparing them before putting them on show. I don't think any of the poor workmanship is insurmountable however, especially if your other half is a cabinetmaker like mine! Flimsy shower tray might be a problem though - can't remember what the one we saw was like though.

Trouble is, if you don't by a Trigano what do you buy at this price range? Because we need a good solid roof rack a VW conversion is no good so it has to be Fiat/Peugeot, Renault or Ford. I'd love an IH or Timberland but not at their prices. We don't necessarily need such high spec extras either. We are also buying 2nd hand so are limited by what is available.

Any knowledge anyone re depreciation on these panel vans compared to coachbuilts?

Thanks again.

I agree MRS Sea that most of the things which I personally don't like in the Tribute could be fixed. I'm an engineer and used to doing all sorts of things mechanical, electrical and the rest.

I haven't totally written off a Tribute but my thoughts are starting to wander towards a used Autosleeper Symbol. It means waiting for at least a year for one to appear on the new X250 van but I think I'll wait to see the new Symbol.

I will also look at other convertors.

The bed and storage design in the Tribute really is cr*p.

My current van is a Symbol and honestly, the quality and design is ahead of the Tribute but, at a price. Probably an extra £4000 to £6000. We'll see.

As for depreciation. I've owned 6 vans since 1986. All panel vans. I've kept them a few years and never lost money on any one of them. A few have made a modest profit.

I think depreciation is similar for coachbuilt or panel van. Just buy and sell wisely. Use your head, not your heart.

Hope this helps,

Frank

Mrs SEA, try Devon Conversions. Their range of Renault/Fiat vans has what you're looking for at around the £32,000 mark on the road. They seem to me to be much better built that the Trigano.

Not surprised at poor finish of Trigano - they are trying to catch up with this year's planned volumes after an appalling end to last year due to lack of base vehicles because of the range changes.

Mel E

====

Mel E - 2007-05-20 12:06 PM

Not surprised at poor finish of Trigano - they are trying to catch up with this year's planned volumes after an appalling end to last year due to lack of base vehicles because of the range changes.

Mel E

====

But it's a short-sighted approach to their product surely?

Quite honestly, I was prepared to actually buy a Tribute yesterday but the first impressions - dirty, bits hanging off, broken door catch, bad electrical work and poor assembly standards, really put me off.

That and the DIY style bed that jammed repeatedly when I tried to put it into "bed" mode.

I'll wait and see another example of a Tribute, also I'll keep an eye on the forums (lots of experience and opinions online) then make a judgement on whether to buy a Tribute or something else.

But I'll say this, Trigano have given me a very poor impression of their product.

Frank

Hi Mrs Sea, If you are not adverse to buying second hand then there is a new kid on the block: www.wildaxconversions.co.uk. They build new conversions into low mileage, 2 - 4 year old, high top vehicles. We saw them for the first time at the Newbury show. They have only been going for about 18 months but the chap we spoke to (one of the owners) was very enthusiastic. Their prices start at £19,000. They do both a side setee and a rear bed layout - although their website only shows the one. They come with all the usual facilities plus, we were told, re-fillabable LPG tanks. I have no connection with the company.

I saw a Tribute 550 today and was very disappointed in the build quality, finish, seat comfort, lack of window to bathroom, small old style fridge, rear door handle barely inaccessible to open etc.

Not a patch on the 54 reg tribute we used to own.

IHTIOR - 2007-05-21 3:05 PM

I saw a Tribute 550 today ... Not a patch on the 54 reg tribute we used to own.

The Tribute is "in the frame" for us too, but we won't be looking at the newest one. I've seen all the negative stuff here about build quality - does that apply to the older models as well, or do other owners agree with Dawn's comment above, that the older ones were better?

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-05-21 4:27 PM

IHTIOR - 2007-05-21 3:05 PM

I saw a Tribute 550 today ... Not a patch on the 54 reg tribute we used to own.

The Tribute is "in the frame" for us too, but we won't be looking at the newest one. I've seen all the negative stuff here about build quality - does that apply to the older models as well, or do other owners agree with Dawn's comment above, that the older ones were better?

Tony

Tony,

I don't think the older ones are any better. Have a look around the dealers forecourts and see how many tributes are on sale compared with the other panel van conversions.

Don

Older models were better, we had more worktop space to kitchen as our hob/grill had a glass cover, (now there is no hob cover) - very little worktop space, our sink had a proper drainer, we had a big overhead locker in the cab area which we stored silver screens, etc, (the new locker is very small compared) we had a drop down t.v. cabinet, (tv bracket now)we had useful shelving to the front wall behind drivers seat, a forward facing seat with travel seat belt and another side facing seat (both these seats had storage beneath) our wall lockers were lined with 'wood', they are not now, we had two pedestal tables, our bathroom had an opening window, the new model has just mushroom vent to ceiling, the quality of the windows was better than that of the new model. I cannot comment on the new fiat base vehicle however the peugeot sourced 2.2 is not as smooth or free revving as the fiat 2.3 .

You do see lots of Trigano's for sale at dealers this is not surprising as so many were sold new and when they are correctly priced they fly out. We did change our Trigano because of the poor couch/bed design but the new model is still deficient in this area as the seats are set way too high.

Thanks Don & Dawn - all observations are "grist to the mill" when decision time comes.

Anyone else care to comment on whether the older Trigs are better? (Of course, when considering a used one it'll be a bit easier to assess the quality of the individual van, as anyhting loose will have fallen off & been screwed back on!)

Tony

Tony Jones - 2007-05-21 6:01 PM

Thanks Don & Dawn - all observations are "grist to the mill" when decision time comes.

Anyone else care to comment on whether the older Trigs are better? (Of course, when considering a used one it'll be a bit easier to assess the quality of the individual van, as anyhting loose will have fallen off & been screwed back on!)

Tony

Maybe this of some interest? If you are in the market for a 2nd user van conversion

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adria-Twin-Less-than-a-year-old_W0QQitemZ290119700792QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14256QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tony Jones - 2007-05-21 6:01 PM

Tony

I looked at an older (2006) Silver Trigano last year and was disappointed with the bed design. Again, I was prepared to buy but held back. I waited for the 2007 model hoping that they would improve the bed and general build quality. They haven't.

I would say the build quality was better on the older model but still not great.

I do agree that the older model is more useable in that stowage and cupboards are better designed and built.

I honestly think I'll be looking elsewhere which is disappointing since I waited almost a year to buy the 2007 model. Oh well.....

Frank

Thanks again to all contributors. Sadly the Adria layouts are not what we need, can't afford a Timberland or IH. Will look at Devon but am not impressed by what I see on the website - which leaves the Tribute or a less well known converter. As we can't afford a new Tribute we won't have to worry about the even worse quality of the 2007 models. Not in a hurry as we've yet to sell out McLouis. Will do a bit more homework in the meantime.

Thanks.

Archived