Truma Ultrastore gas igniter

Kraken

Continuing the saga of my boiler...... having replaced the mains element I now find that the gas won't ignite. It was working last season but I haven't used it so far this year. I can hear the gas valve click open followed by rapid clicking of the igniter for 5 or 6 seconds and then a clunk as the gas shuts off again. After each attempt I can smell gas in the flue so I guess it's getting through OK. The igniter is much quieter than, for example, the one on the cooker. Unsure if that's significant but it does seem to be where the fault lies. Battery voltage is good.

Question is, can the igniter be replaced without removing the entire boiler? I'm getting quite good at keyhole surgery !

Hi Alan, yes, I've given the flue a good vacuum out and even added a length of small hose to get into all the nooks and crannies. The gas can be ignited ok with a handheld igniter via the flue outlet (don't panic! I have fireproof gauntlets and wouldn't dare try this without proper protective gear as the resultant explosion can be quite fierce if there have been several attempts and the pooled gas hasn't been given time to clear). So, the fault simply seems to be with the spark but although I can see it down the flue I can't work out if it can be replaced without removing the entire boiler.

Having spent a day last week in 30 deg+ struggling with the reluctant electric element while leaving the boiler in place I'm reluctant to admit defeat on the gas.

Archived