Truma Ultrastore water heater leak?

Mike P

I suspect my water heater may have a slight leak. It's housed under the bottom of the wardrobe behind the space heater. I've checked the pressure release valve-OK, and tried to photograph the underside of the mounting platform with a small digital camera (there's not much room down there) and the underside of the platform seems a bit discoloured. My problem is how to get it out to check?

I guess one has to remove the space heater but the method is not obvious. Hopefully someone has done this before and can offer me some advice.

Mike p

Assuming that your Cheyenne has a Truma ‘fire’ in front of the enclosure in which the Ultrastore water-heater is housed, you’ll clearly need to remove the fire before you can access the water-heater.

I can’t advise on how to do this from hands-on experience, but you should be able to decide the best method if you download the relevant installation instructions from here

https://dealernew.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma_Katalog/2%20gb/boiler_gb/ultrastore_gb.html

and work backwards.

It’s stating the obvious, but you really need to make every effort to establish a) whether there actually is a water leak and b) if there is, what the probable cause is. You don’t want to be removing the fire and then find you were wrong about the leak or it could have been addressed with the fire and boiler left in place.

This MHFun discussion may be worth reading

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/water-leak-near-truma-ultrastore-boiler.129810/

If a leak does not come from an Ultrastore boiler’s inlet-connector or its outlet connector or (if the boiler is the gas/230V version) from where the 230V heating element enters the boiler’s water tank, that really leaves just the tank itself.

The Truma C-Series combination air/water heater retrofitted to my Herald Templar motorhome developed a water leak. It wasn’t obvious to begin with, but eventually became noticeable. I took the motorhome to Truma(UK) for attention and the heater’s water tank was removed, placed in a large sink full of water and compressed air pumped into it (just like testing for a slow puncture). No bubbles showed and the pressure in the tank was increased. Then the connection came off the tank and most of the water in the sink ended up drenching the unfortunate guy carrying out the test. How everybody (except him) laughed...

As mentioned on the MHFun thread, the leak was finally traced to a tiny crack in the weld round the water tank. I asked the Truma technicians if my use of Milton as a sterilant in the fresh-water (as was common in those days) might have caused the crack, but was told that it would have been due to a fault in the welding proces when the tank was made.

silverback - 2016-11-30 12:05 PM

maybe stating the obvious but if there is a leak put some kitchen roll down under the boiler and all joints then if its leaking you will know where it might be

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, hadn't thought of that, could save me a lot of hassle.

Mike P

Archived