Truma safety/drain valve usage?

Derek Uzzell

Truma safety/drain valve usage?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many motorhomes have a water system that includes a Truma “Elasi” or “FrostControl” safety/drain valve that will open automatically to drain the water-heater if the temperature within the vehicle becomes very cold.

In this recent forum discussion

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Truma-water-dump-valve/45874/#M515475

it has been suggested that, after a Truma ‘automatic’ valve has been manually opened to drain a motorhome’s water system (prior to the vehicle being out of use for a while in cold weather) and draining-down has been completed, it is general practice for motorcaravanners to reclose the valve rather than leave it open until refilling is carried out.

So, if your motorhome has a Truma ‘automatic’ safety/drain valve, do you normally reclose it after draining the water system? Or do you normally leave the valve open until you next refill the water system?

What this poll was attempting to establish is whether or not your suggestion had any firm evidence to support it in relation to Elasi/FrostControl valves.

It may well be the case that some motorcaravanners always reclose Truma Elasi or FrostControl safety/drain valves after draining the water system (I’m not interested in what they do with simple over-centre purely-manual drain valves whoever makes them). However, if a clear majority of motorcaravanners do not reclose their motorhome’s Elasi/FrostControl valve after draining, reclosing those valves cannot be considered ‘common practice’.

We use our van most of the winter but if it opens in storage it is likely to do so again so I leave it open until the next time I'll be using it.

I've never pegged it except once when the gas ran out overnight and the valve opened a short while later (ski resort), woken by the "whoosh" and the Shurflo running. It was pegged until the gas and heater were back on. This means the logic is smart enough to recognise that although the heating was switched on it wasn't working and needed protection.

Truma Elasi fitted.

ps. I've never heard of a boiler freezing so these things must work reliably.

kevina - 2016-12-06 12:26 PM

We use our van most of the winter but if it opens in storage it is likely to do so again so I leave it open until the next time I'll be using .

There must be thousands of vans in storage or on forecourts, unless the owners or dealers are constantly going around closing then they will all be open for long periods.

Archived