Turbo boost pressure sensor

tringy

Hi all, i am having problems with the turbo boost pressure sensor on my Ducato 150 2.3 2015 x290.engine management light came on and it went into limp mode. Called out the AA the very kind gentleman put his diagnostic thing to work and said the turbo boost pressure sensor was the problem but it was working just a very tiny bit out side of its operating window and not really broken but at some time to get it changed .so he deleted the fault code and I was on my way no problems.into Spain and 2000 miles later I have the same problem.My questions are is it a diy job?,where is it,?and dose it have to be reconfigured with the ECU.and will the fault code need to be deleted again? Thanks in anticipation.regards Tringy.

The error code won’t clear itself, even if the sensor is replaced...

There are on-line discussions about this type of problem, where it’s highlighted that the cause may not actually be due to a fault with the sensor (example here)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/engine-fault-light-on-limp-mode-fault-code-p2563.196813/

As Ernst has advised, a replacement sensor is relatively inexpensive - but you might be wise to have the fault investigated professionally by a Fiat agent who could then fit the new sensor if it were confirmed that this is the culprit.

Thanks Gordon,i do fuel additive now and then and I thought I got a good diagnosis from the AA man when he showed me on the computer the fault code and then that the sensor had gone above its working peramieter but only by a tiny amount and it was not duff.having read more about this on here I am a little confused now as the aa man said that it would not damage anything only just a loss of power,but having read threads on this it could lead to catalyst damage.l was considering driving home from Spain as I can get along reasonably well and get it sorted at home. I don’t want to spend out getting it fixed here then having the same problems on the way home .we are not to far from a Fiat garage but obviously there’s the language barrier.please can anyone tell me exactly where this sensor is so i can look for it and check for the obvious and evaluate the situation.if it is just a simple job then I know what I am up against. Thanks in advance.Tringy.

Hi, 3 times this has happened was within a short distance of leaving the house or overnight stop.at the moment I am on site for three weeks so I am tempted to have a sensor sent out and change it myself but that will leave the fault code.i will I think buy a code reader to deal with this,any help with makes or models I should purchase would be greatfull.Regards Tringy

tringy - 2019-09-13 7:57 AM

Hi, 3 times this has happened was within a short distance of leaving the house or overnight stop.at the moment I am on site for three weeks so I am tempted to have a sensor sent out and change it myself but that will leave the fault code.i will I think buy a code reader to deal with this,any help with makes or models I should purchase would be greatfull.Regards Tringy

Your motor has a variable-geometry turbocharger (with no waste-gate as such).

As you are close to a Fiat garage in Spain, even with the language-barrier issue, I believe it would be sensible to have that garage look at the problem rather than trying to go it alone. If the garage’s diagnosis is that the boost pressure sensor is the culprit, it could be just as cheap for them to replace the sensor and clear the code than for you to obtain a sensor and replace it yourself and obtain a suitable tool to clear the error code.

I can understand you trying to address this fault on a DIY basis, but if I were in your shoes and travelling abroad I wouldn’t want to ‘learn’ how to replace the sensor and then ‘learn’ how to clear the error code if there were a fair possibility that the problem would still be there afterwards. There comes a point when an ardent DIYer should recognise that seeking professional assistance would be wise even though it might be humiliating ;-)

(Your choice of course...)

Thanks for your advice Derek,yes I have come to the conclusion it’s not so easily done in this instance.The sensor lays in a position that’s impossible to get at unless you strip away some parts that are best left alone by me.if I was at home then that would be a different story. Not sure what I am doing about it at the moment as I have had some service work done here before and I get frustrated with the lack of speed and urgency they work at but the price is normally good. Regards Tringy.

Archived