Two things Motorhome designers should think about

Tourope

1. Reversing camera on an extendable arm

So that if you later fit a bike rack the camera can show the view from the back of the bike rack. I would see the arm being retractable so that it remains retracted when no bike rack is fitted and when not reversing.

2. Upward facing mini-mirrors (positioned above the main right and left hand main mirrors)

Like the mini mirrors below the main mirrors which give a ground level view, these upward facing ones would give you a sky level view so you can see if you're reversing into an over-hanging branch. or other high obstruction.

These are two that have come to my notice after 10,000 miles of travelling.

Any other ideas?

Yes, get out and have a look at the space you intend to reverse into. Mirrors are fitted generally to the base vehicle and are not considered to be part of the Motorhome conversion although some are extended to cope with a wider conversion body. Many owners do not have bike racks, storage boxes, motorbike/scooters fitted to the back of their 'vans so would not want the burden of the extra cost of retractable cameras, warning buzzers, bells and whistles etc when they don't need them. There are to many driver "aids" now (& most are more of a distraction) without retro fitting even more things to look out for. What I would like to see though is better quality conversions and drop the excuse of "we use light weight components to keep the payload as high as we can" ( for light weight read c#¥p). What I would like to see is some owners Heath Robinson extras, additions and alterations on the forum. At least they bring a smile to your face and some can be brilliant ideas but just lacking in manual skills.

Tourope - 2017-04-16 11:09 AM

1. Reversing camera on an extendable arm

So that if you later fit a bike rack the camera can show the view from the back of the bike rack. I would see the arm being retractable so that it remains retracted when no bike rack is fitted and when not reversing.

2. Upward facing mini-mirrors (positioned above the main right and left hand main mirrors)

Like the mini mirrors below the main mirrors which give a ground level view, these upward facing ones would give you a sky level view so you can see if you're reversing into an over-hanging branch. or other high obstruction.

These are two that have come to my notice after 10,000 miles of travelling.

Any other ideas?

The lower mirrors are your wide angle mirrors to help with blinds spots and not ground view mirrors.

I've had a rear view camera and never considered it a necessary bit of kit simply because with some cameras you cannot judge distance to the object behind you. I find reversing sensors more useful. I also think you can over complicate these things. You cannot beat getting out and having a look when reversing!

We had two cameras fitted front and rear to our Boxer in addition to the rear sensors. The Boxer is approx 6 metres in length and using the front camera I can park on my drive to within 1 inch/25 mm from my electric garage door and I am not overhanging onto the pavement. A good bit of kit.

alanedwin - 2017-04-20 11:18 AM

I've got this thing that travels everywhere with me and when I have to reverse she gets out and shouts at me until I'm in the right spot. It never fails and is quite cheap to run. :-D

Was this standard on your Motorhome when you bought it or an optional extra?

One thing these designer kids should think about is USING the motorhome. I call them kids 'cos I can't believe a full grown adult would have missed this one. You arrive on a nice site and the first thing you do is plug in the lekky cable. Where is it? Oh, it's in a locker somewhere. Why can't they build it in so you just pull it out and plug it in? Too difficult I suppose to integrate it in the M/H.

Likewise the gas tap. Why can't we have a master gas valve inside the M/H that we can get to easily to switch on/off as the mood takes.

And how about self levelling jacking points? Can't be too difficult for a sufficiently well qualified engineer to design and build in cheaply.

And what about these new outdoor showers. Got one on my M/H and jolly good it is too. I really enjoy an outdoor shower in COLD water only in Feb/Mar. What's the point of it? Is it just for that one day on August where it's really hot and the kids are covered in sand so they forcibly get a cold shower? Or am I missing something? SWMB says it's for washing your wellie boots but I can't believe the designers are that stupid. Are they?

I would like designers/builders to fit the charger/power controller somewhere I don't need 3 hands and have to stand on my head to remove it?

If they must fit batteries under the passenger seat in a Mercedes, provide 6 easy to access fixture bolts that don't require hands the size of a 6 year old on the end of 5 foot long arms to undo and put back.

Proper thought into preventing Mice access at the design stage into both the habitation area and the engine intake.

'Keyed' Removable Steering wheels to help fight theft and allow the Pilots swivel chair to swivel with more movement.

Proper pre-manufactured Solar Power cable entry points with pre-installed Glands and mountings for Solar Panels. A solution similar to built in 'Roof Bars' on a Car where Solar panels on luggage style 'Roof Rails' are fixed/clipped to the Roof Bars. You just bolt the Rails to the Solar Panel, then clip the rails to the roof bars. That will hopefully mean more thought is also given to the positioning of Skylights to maximise roof space for Solar?

Exhaust pipes that are long enough to clear the body at the rear of the van behind the rear wheel.

Get the equivalent of Jeremy Clarkson as a critic on the design of Motorhomes when Top Gear was not afraid of motor manufacture's. I'm sure he would have pointed out the Concord jockey wheels are there because of an enormous design blunder, and "light weight" should read "crap" and bad dealers should have a warning about them on the front cover of Practical Motorhome, and that other magazine.

keninpalamos - 2017-04-23 9:23 AM

Get the equivalent of Jeremy Clarkson as a critic on the design of Motorhomes when Top Gear was not afraid of motor manufacture's. I'm sure he would have pointed out the Concord jockey wheels are there because of an enormous design blunder, and "light weight" should read "crap" and bad dealers should have a warning about them on the front cover of Practical Motorhome, and that other magazine.

I think Jezza would probably be interested in your idea Ken.

I would certainly pay my subscription to Amazon if he did take up the challenge.

Coachbuilt 'vans tend to be built inside-out. The side panels and roof going on last.

If you want to remove or replace a bulky item, like a fridge, you can't because the habitation door is too narrow. The only option is to possibly remove the windscreen. I met a couple at a dealership who were having a larger fridge fitted. The rear panel of the van had to be removed.

I recently had to remove a flyscreen at the habitation door for repair. I had to bend the plastic frame to get it out. I then spent hours shortening the height of the frame by only 1cm and on refitting it slotted in perfectly.

A little bit of forethought by the manufacturers would help, not only the dealers, but DIY enthusiasts to replace consumable items without the need for major surgery.

I believe some dealerships have already voted with their feet by refusing to support certain brands because of difficulties with access to essential service parts.

pagey - 2017-04-25 1:59 PM

hi my offering build one that does not leak and dont tell fibs about its payload

don't be afraid to say "lies" which is what they do. Only MPs are not allowed to use the word "lies" in parliament because there is so many of them. (lol) MPs and liars.

Archived