Tyre Pressure Monitors

william4

I bought the tyrepal version some years ago when on offer. They have been very reliable. The one downside to buying cheaper versions on eBay and the like is that often people discover the upper pressure limit is too low for their van, particularly those who use CP tyres at 80 psi on the rear axle. Check the pressure range if buying cheap.

Davy

I shall probably be told off for this, :-) but a tyre pressure gauge is a much cheaper, and arguably more accurate, alternative. If you are finding that your tyre pressures need re-setting much more frequently than once in 10/12 weeks (by which I don't man only testing them at that interval, but actually needing to adjust the pressures) there is most probably a problem with the valve/s. That, a TPM system will not fix. In practice, ours seem to hold the pressures for months. Plus, as above, motorhome tyres run at quite high pressures, so the TPM used needs to be suited to those pressures. KISS? :-D

Like your van Brian, my van holds it tyre pressures for months on end, as do our two cars. I do however periodically remove the tpms to double check with a standard tyre pressure gauge.

The main reason I use tyrepal on the van, but not on my cars is, I tend to do longer drives in the van in France and Spain and since most blowouts seem to be the product of dropping pressure, I take the view that being able to check as I drive is reassuring, particularly given the bodywork damage that can be caused by shredded tyre strips to say nothing of the potential loss of control with subsequent major consequences.

I am always fascinated by the change in pressure by on average 7 to 8 degrees when the tyres warm up. I have never really though satisfactorily found what the ‘cold’ temperature should be when checking pressures. Ambient temperature could be about 6 degrees in winter here but 17 or so in summer. I wonder how many people adjust their pressures to suit the varying seasonal differences. This link is the only reasonably reputable source for information on this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure

Davy

• 2 weeks later...
TeamRienza - 2022-08-14 1:41 PM

Like your van Brian, my van holds it tyre pressures for months on end, as do our two cars. I do however periodically remove the tpms to double check with a standard tyre pressure gauge.

The main reason I use tyrepal on the van, but not on my cars is, I tend to do longer drives in the van in France and Spain and since most blowouts seem to be the product of dropping pressure, I take the view that being able to check as I drive is reassuring, particularly given the bodywork damage that can be caused by shredded tyre strips to say nothing of the potential loss of control with subsequent major consequences.

I am always fascinated by the change in pressure by on average 7 to 8 degrees when the tyres warm up. I have never really though satisfactorily found what the ‘cold’ temperature should be when checking pressures. Ambient temperature could be about 6 degrees in winter here but 17 or so in summer. I wonder how many people adjust their pressures to suit the varying seasonal differences. This link is the only reasonably reputable source for information on this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure

Davy

I am a TyrePal fan as well and for the same reasons as Davy. We flit between Spain and the UK in our van and note that the pressures vary wildly with changes in ambient temperature, We had a seal on one of the valves go recently and thanks to the TPMS I was able to sort the problem without damage. Yes the pressures do stay stable for long periods of time, and it can be a faff to alter the pressures for changes of climate but overall, the TPMS is, in my opinion, a valuable addition to safety.

william4 - 2022-08-14 7:55 AM

I am thinking about purchasing a TyrePal kit - £136 discount price on CAMC site. Much cheaper kits are available on Amazon - has anyone experience of these much cheaper kits ?

Tyre Pal often have offers and I have always found them to be very helpful should an unlikely failure of their equipment happen.

We have had TPMS lumbered on us on several cars in recent years and my overall conclusion is that they are, on balance, a total PITA.

Wide variations of temperature cause warning lights and bleeping bleepers to start their persistently irritating intrusions into our lives and on stopping to check the tyres the variations in pressure are inevitably minor.

Resetting the TPMS is never easy and invariably needs the vehicle handbook to complete.

If I could switch 'em off I would, so no pizes for guessing my views here!

I'm with Brian, Mk1 Eyeball as a visual check every time we stopped and a good quality tyre pressure guage to make sure has worked admirably for me for over 50 years and I see no need to change that philosophy just because some EU wallah - I doubt he was an engineer - thinks it is a good idea to impose more technology on us all.

Progress Eh? Wonderful innit!

My view is that if any tyre pressure falls whilst the vehicle is travelling, below a value it should be cold, then i really need to know; pronto.

Not find out come when I do a routine check, or worse I write off a tyre running it under inflated, or even simply just degrade the material and its characteristics by overheating; let alone way worse issues.

I have no real interest in the tyre pressure in use increasing, that I expect as inevitable and know the makers are well on top of that issue; as said, it is if it drops below the base cold inflation pressure whilst running, then there is definitely something wrong, I better know about.

A pressure based TPMS furnishes what I need to know, whilst actually travelling; something my trusty tyre gauge does not.

Archived