Tyres again

Max Speed

Billggski - 2018-06-14 7:28 PM

The camping Michelin's are M&S rated, this doesn't seem make much difference

on mud or wet grass, but they have worn much quicker than the Vanco camper tyres.

Exactly my experience of Michelins, they quickly wear and don’t give, IMO, as good a ride as Continentals.

The miches I have on at the moment seem to have worn down quickly to 3.0mm on front after only 22k miles ,mind the RV is front wheel drive and 3.0 litre grunt the rears are the same as swapped front to back some time back.

I think I'll give Continentals a shot this time

Thanks Guys

Max

A quick Google search shows that about 50% of posters on the subject find the Michelins much quieter than the Contis while the other 50% find the Contis much quieter than the Michelins :-D

Which I suppose means that they're about the same and that most of the reduction in road noise came from fitting new tyres to replace old and worn ones.

Pirelli also markets a ‘camping-car’ tyre - the “Carrier Camper” pattern. Whether it’s any better than the Continental or Michelin equivalents is anybody’s guess, but it is an alternative.

Unless tyre-pressures above (say) 65psi are being used, there’s the option to use ‘commercial-vehicle’ tyres that might offer improved grip on poor surfaces and would probably be less expensive. For example, a Hankook Vantra RA18 215/75 R16C 10PR tyre should be obtainable for around £85.

Deffheads - 2018-06-15 5:21 PM

Hi, If cost is not a problem, I would stick with Conti/ Michelin/ Pirelli certainly on the front, assuming your front wheel drive, but for the rear commercial van tyres as they are much cheaper and only follow the front.

That seems to assume that braking performance and grip of CP-marked tyres are something special, whereas the 2013 “Promobi” comparative test indicated the opposite.

Archived