Tyres slashed wild camping

ham

Friends are down in Portugal, I have just lifted this of thier Blog from Yesterday

We finally headed right to the end of the coast and Sagres, the most south westerly point in mainland Europe. First things that strikes as always is that every available space is covered with motorhomes. We were told that the previous night there had been some trouble and a load of vans had their tyres slashed – we saw a row of them jacked up waiting for their tyres back

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Peter James
I have heard of this before. But never directly. Its always somebody who has heard of somebody else who said they had heard of it (?)

ham - 2013-01-19 4:44 PM

Friends are down in Portugal, I have just lifted this of thier Blog from Yesterday

We finally headed right to the end of the coast and Sagres, the most south westerly point in mainland Europe. First things that strikes as always is that every available space is covered with motorhomes. We were told that the previous night there had been some trouble and a load of vans had their tyres slashed – we saw a row of them jacked up waiting for their tyres back

It would help give authenticity to reports like this if you provided a link to the original story???

Have googled this quote but was unable to find the blog.

ham - 2013-01-19 4:44 PM

Can you give the site address / url of this blog as I have googled this and am unable to find it? It would help authenticate the story.

Guest Peter James

We do seem to hear of people who have their own agenda about wild camping. Whether its local residents who think the public roads belong to them, or campsite owners etc. I can imagine some of them saying 'I wouldn't park down there I have heard of people getting their tyres slashed'

But have never heard a first hand account of anything like this happening.

On a scale of risks we have to take everyday I think it must be very small.

Perhaps there might have been stuff lying around that could cause punctures?

Like nails or other metal bits left over from burnt pallets or old furniture on a bonfire perhaps.

Guest Peter James
Clive - 2013-01-20 2:56 PM

Wild camping is illegal in Portugal,

We were moved on by the police.

Think on!

C.

Camping Yes, Parking No. ;-)

Camping is when you set up anything outside, awnings, chairs etc.

If you keep everything inside the van, then its Parking. :-)

Interesting and well posted blog site.

However, I really cannot understand the mentality or attraction of wild camping.

What is the attraction of putting your hard earned cash at risk in some dodgy location all for "a great view" but with no amenities, no security, proper disposal points and all to save yourself €12-20? It's a strange logic to me. Aires yes - and we've stayed in lots but wild camping - no thanks.

I wonder what the insurers think of claims for repair damage when not parked in an approved location. That is assuming you tell them of course.

We are in southern Spain at the moment and it's great if a tad windy these last few days. Sites are half full if that, most have good cheap restaurant/bars plus 10 amp electric and hot showers.

Still as is often said on this forum - "there's nowt so queer as folk" and "each to their own".

I'll stick to ACSI sites. (lol)

Matrix Meanderer - 2013-01-20 8:38 PM

However, I really cannot understand the mentality or attraction of wild camping.

Yes agree..a nice blog that (...we're now jealous as hell tho'!..(lol) )

We've never "wildcamped" in the Mh but in the past I have with the tent(..although as I would gain the farmer's/landowner's permission,I'm not sure if some would class that as "wild" enough (lol) ).

I can fully understand the attraction of pitching up in some remote,isolated spot..with no one else for miles...

..but more often than not,in many "wild/free camping" discussions(legalities and lack of facilities aside)it seems that the main point of contention tends to be the numbers of vehicles involved/using a given location....

Perhaps if folk didn't "herd" together,be it on headlands,coastal roads/laybys(UK proms'! ;-) ) etc and generally p*ss off "the locals" then they'd have less of an "issue" .... ;-)

What is the attraction of putting your hard earned cash at risk in some dodgy location all for "a great view" but with no amenities, no security, proper disposal points and all to save yourself €12-20? It's a strange logic to me. Aires yes - and we've stayed in lots but wild camping - no thanks.

I wonder what the insurers think of claims for repair damage when not parked in an approved location. That is assuming you tell them of course.

We are in southern Spain at the moment and it's great if a tad windy these last few days. Sites are half full if that, most have good cheap restaurant/bars plus 10 amp electric and hot showers.

Still as is often said on this forum - "there's nowt so queer as folk" and "each to their own".

I'll stick to ACSI sites. (lol)

The campingcar-infos website has two entries for Sagres in Portugal. There are photos of both and,, although neither seems to have a motorhome service-point, neither falls into the 'wild camping' category as far as I'm concerned. If you've stayed on French 'aires' a lot (the majority of which will involve public car parks for overnighting) then it seems likely you would not consider the Sagres locations 'wild camping' places either. (In fact, if a 2007 campingcar-infos comment is still true, one of the Sagres sites has dedicated areas for motorhome parking.)

Sorry Peter but you are wrong.

We had simply parked up, alongside several others with campers, applied the parking brake and gone to bed after a long days driving. We were all woken at 02.30 in the middle of the night by noisy police banging on the various motorhome doors are told we had to go to a proper campsite as there is no wild camping of any sort allowed anywhere in Portugal.

Found a campsite, locked up for the night so we half slept in the entrance to a quarry then returned to the place we were moved on from later. As did many others.

Are you going to have your legal argument with a gun toting load of foreign police at 0230 in the morning??

C.

Why is people who are the first criticise wild camps always think it's to do with cash and of course never tried it themselves.

What can be better than to be camped up in the mountains of the beaten track without another sole around. Up in the morning after breakfast a long walk over the mountains back to have a relaxing afternoon with no one but nature around, no other people, no other Motorhomes pure bliss that's Wild camping far better than staying on a site with loads of other people.

lennyhb - 2013-01-21 1:44 PM

What can be better than to be camped up in the mountains of the beaten track without another sole around. Up in the morning after breakfast a long walk over the mountains back to have a relaxing afternoon with no one but nature around, no other people, no other Motorhomes pure bliss that's Wild camping far better than staying on a site with loads of other people.

SSShhhhh Lenny - let them all think that off site camping is rubbish - more space for the rest of us!!

...What can be better than to be camped up in the mountains of the beaten track without another sole around. Up in the morning after breakfast a long walk over the mountains back to have a relaxing afternoon with no one but nature around, no other people, no other Motorhomes pure bliss that's Wild camping far better than staying on a site with loads of other people.

I must say it does sound great Lenny! :-D

..but from what the OP "says":

Quote:".. First things that strikes as always is that every available space is covered with motorhomes.."

...it doesn't sound as if the location in question,is being chosen for it's "back to nature" feel...... :-S

I suppose,it just shows that some "wildcampers" need to accept that there are good and bad Wildcamping spots(...just as there are good and bad 'sites....? ;-) )

Surely dozens of vans parked up together either in a car park or bit of waste ground isn’t Wild camping, being on your own in a quiet spot that’s wild camping not herding together . multi media thats todays problem Oh look a great spot and its free i must put it on the WEB.

Tracker - 2013-01-21 1:59 PM

SSShhhhh Lenny - let them all think that off site camping is rubbish - more space for the rest of us!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ham - 2013-01-21 3:41 PM

Surely dozens of vans parked up together either in a car park or bit of waste ground isn’t Wild camping, being on your own in a quiet spot that’s wild camping not herding together . multi media thats todays problem Oh look a great spot and its free i must put it on the WEB.

I think you have just invented a new phrase: Herd Camping

Definition : "A group of motorhomers who find Aires and Campsites too spacious"

:-D

malc d - 2013-01-21 4:00 PM

Herd Camping definition - a large group of caravanners and motorcaravanners who feel the need to huddle together for safety every night in a secure compound also known as a 'camp site' which has a high fence and a secure gate to keep them safe from the bogey man!

Tracker - 2013-01-21 4:57 PM

malc d - 2013-01-21 4:00 PM

Herd Camping definition - a large group of caravanners and motorcaravanners who feel the need to huddle together for safety every night in a secure compound also known as a 'camp site' which has a high fence and a secure gate to keep them safe from the bogey man!

Like it Rich. :D :D :D

Archived