UNIVERSAL MOTORHOME WATER FILLER CAP?

michaelmorris

We love our motorhome. One of things we love about it is how quick and easy it is to just role up at the campsite, put in on the chocks, turn on the gas, connect up the EHU and we're all set up.

However,, I've missed out one thing,filling up with water. It (on average) takes 10 minutes or so to fill up the water tank. That's ten minutes of standing there holding the hose pipe whilst the tank fills. Whilst this no great hardship, it is a bit of a pain.

Now,I've spotted a thing called a 'universal motorhome water tank filler cap'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LZ12FSS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3AHOAGAC4L0O2&psc=1#

With this I could just connect up the hose and wait for it to fill up without any of the tedious standing around.

Does anyone use these?

Are they any good?

Thanks

More details of the HEOS product are here

http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1410

It’s worth noting that a different filler-cap may be required for certain motorhomes

http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1343

On my 2005 Hobby motorhome the pipe leading from the water-filling orifice to the fresh-water tank had very little downwards slope, making filling from a container impracticable. I cut some stiffish water-hose into a length that would reach from the filling orifice right into the water tank itself and attached to the hose’s outer end a wire’ hook that clipped to the filling-point’s plastic moulding and prevented the hose from coming out when water-pressure was high. The hose + hook was connected to an ordinary water-hose via Hozelock fittings.

My current Rapido’s fresh-water tank fills from the bottom and the pipe leading from the water-filling orifice to the tank’s inlet near its base is long and slopes steeply downwards. I use the same arrangement as with the Hobby, but the ‘hook’ is no longer necessary.

It took me ages to set aside Lancashire Thriftand buy one of these because they are only a simple plastic moulding and £22 semed such a rip off.  But I did buy one (when I found it a bit cheaper on EBay) and they are extremely useful.

They are only a slack fit (because they don't need to do any more than hold the nozzle in place, pointing towards the tank) and so they do allow air to vent during filling.  They also overflow conspicuously when the tank is full, so you don't need to watch closely.

StuartO - 2017-06-23 11:50 AM

It took me ages to set aside Lancashire Thriftand buy one of these because they are only a simple plastic moulding and £22 semed such a rip off... 

Which product did you decide to buy?

The asking-price of the “Water Block” fitting that (as it says in this advert requires a standard 1/2” filler-hose to be used)

http://www.caravancampingsupplies.co.uk/motorhomes/water-accessories/water-inlets/product/water-block-filler

seems a lot of money to me as the product functions much like my crude (but free) wire ‘hook’. The HEOS cap offers more sophistication for much the same outlay and is more versatile regarding the type of filler-hose employed.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-24 8:11 AM
StuartO - 2017-06-23 11:50 AMIt took me ages to set aside Lancashire Thriftand buy one of these because they are only a simple plastic moulding and £22 semed such a rip off... 
Which product did you decide to buy?The asking-price of the “Water Block” fitting that (as it says in this advert requires a standard 1/2” filler-hose to be used)http://www.caravancampingsupplies.co.uk/motorhomes/water-accessories/water-inlets/product/water-block-fillerseems a lot of money to me as the product functions much like my crude (but free) wire ‘hook’. The HEOS cap offers more sophistication for much the same outlay and is more versatile regarding the type of filler-hose employed.

As I recall there are (or were) variants of this device to fit different MHs and I bought one which was said to be specifically for a Hymer - and it certainly did fit mine.  I might have got it cheaply because someone was disposing of the wrong fit for his MH, I can't really remember.

Mine is a Heos "art no 5244" if that helps.

The type of water filler connector which is suitable to your needs, depends to some extent on the type of hose you use.

I use a flat hose which would kink if I used a horizontal HEOS connector. Consequently, the water-block-filler is ideal (for me) as I use a short 60cm length of round hose which then connects to the flat hose (vertically with no kinks).

The water-block-filler may seem expensive for a block of plastic but it's dead easy to connect, is self venting and overflows if you should inadvertently overfill.

It's made by an Italian company, so it must be good 8-)

What you’ve described (a shortish length of stiff garden-hose that penetrates into the filling-orifice and is then connected to a ‘flat’ hose leading to the water-tap) is the same arrangement I’ve employed with my Hobby and Rapido motorhomes - except, with the Hobby, I added to the outer end of the stiff garden-hose a wire ‘hook’ that engaged with the protrusions on the inner surface of the filling-orifice. Basically the same principle as the “Water Block” product, but at no cost.

I’m not sure why the potential kinking problem you mention would be any worse with the HEOS product than with the “Water Block” one. On my Rapido the outer end of the stiff hose emerges from the filling-orifice at an upwards angle and, when my flat hose is connected to it, the flat hose kinks downwards. My flat hose is the type reeled on to a cassette and is quite narrow bore, but once the water tap is opened the kink at the flat-to-stiff-hose connection-point largely disappears, particularly when the water pressure is significant. With the Hobby there was a high risk of the hose being expelled from the filling-orifice - which is why I added the wire hook - but this doesn’t happen with the Rapido so I’ve removed the hook.

The “Water Block” product is described on Page 15/16 of the following catalogue

https://magazine.camperonline.it/accessori/CS-Evolution2014.pdf

There are two versions (blue or yellow) depending on which type of filling-orifice is involved.

Archived