USB Sockets

Ninian

You should include a fuse in the positive connection, as close to the battery positive terminal as possible. A better method would be to connect via you 12V distribution board. It has been suggested that a switch should be included in the circuit, in order to prevent any battery drain when the socket/vehicle is not in use. However I have also seen reports that the quiescent current taken by a USB socket can be as low as 5mA, which is negligible.

For recharging phones, I use a dual adapter plugged into a cigarette lighter style socket, of which I have several to choose from.

Alan

Ninian - 2019-09-12 4:25 PM

Hi, Yeah the type of socket I was going to buy has an integral switch for on/off. My reasoning for wiring in this socket is I cannot use my cigarette type sockets when parked up as they are only live when the ignition is turned on. Thanks.

Ninian,

What model/version is your base vehicle? I have a simple fix for power socket on x244 Ducato.

Alan

Sorry for the delayed reply. As I said, my information relates to the Ducato x244.

On the LHS cab fuse panel there were two red relays, and some empty relay sockets. The socket on the left was empty on my vehicle (lamp wash option), the next socket occupied by one of the red relays is for cigarette lighter and heater fan, and the right hand of the two relays controls heated seat and power socket. This information was partly found by testing, and confirmed by reference to eLearn.

We do not have heated seats, so I removed the appropriate relay and inserted a short length of 2.5 sq mm wire terminated with 0.25" male blades into the two larger slots of the relay socket. Power socket now available 24/7. Please note that terminal 30 of the relay socket, which is that further from the smaller coil pins, is permanently live at 12V. Best to disconnect vehicle battery negative when inserting link wire.

Your x250 is different, at least in that the fuse panels are turned through 90 degrees, but if you have two red relays on the LHS panel, the wiring could be similar. (I have noticed references to the same fuse numbers for equivalent functions.) Try pulling one red relay, and check for loss of power socket, or heater fan + cigarette lighter. With power socket disabled, check for loss of any other functions before proceeding

Tip, my revised version of the "link" was a rectangular "U" shaped 1/4" blade terminal of the type with a small bolt hole in the centre section, such as sometimes used for earth connections.

Alan

Archived