Uk RV Market after the Brexit.

I read an interesting interview of burstner marketing after the brexit. They have to to follow new ways to held their markething share which is very important to them. The UK is the second largest marktet in europe afther germany in numbers. In 2016 germany 65000 and the uk 35000. Are you facing huge price increases on imports?

No, pure speculation, scare mongering, anti Brexit campaigners. To late we are leaving. All the hyperperbaly you can muster will not change anything. It's a case of wait and see, unless you are an MP of course and in that case, get on with it. ( Terms and conditions may apply, you are not ..... Blah blah blah (lol)

Monique, I am old enough to remember old Francs, New Francs, Pesetos etc, we managed quite well before the EU and I have every confidence we will manage after Brexit.

The UK is an important market for Mercedes, BMW, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, VW and lots of others. All we need is a deal to suit Britain and also to suit the EU, it should not be difficult. It will need a bit of goodwill on both sides.

I should mention that we British actually like Europe and the people of the EU, I hope the people of the EU will like us after Brexit :-)

H

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-06-26 4:19 PM

About 20 000 financial- banking jobs have been left already from london and relocated in europe.

Maybe, but who the hell cares. UK unemployment 4.6%. As for 35,000 Burstner units sold, in their dreams.

How can the price of foreign vehicles not go up considerably when you look at the exchange rate since Brexit? Add into that the possible introduction of Tariffs and other Brexit complications of course they will be more expensive. Im just about to go on a four month trip into Europe. Last time I went in 2015 we were getting €1.4+ to the £1, now its close to €1.1. I worked out that roughly over four months its going to cost me an extra £1000. Thats what happens when we do stupid things based on a very marginal poll.

The country voted for Brexit, those in opposition said it would be very costly. Simple as that.

Barryd999 - 2017-06-26 5:46 PM

How can the price of foreign vehicles not go up considerably when you look at the exchange rate since Brexit? Add into that the possible introduction of Tariffs and other Brexit complications of course they will be more expensive. Im just about to go on a four month trip into Europe. Last time I went in 2015 we were getting €1.4+ to the £1, now its close to €1.1. I worked out that roughly over four months its going to cost me an extra £1000. Thats what happens when we do stupid things based on a very marginal poll.

The country voted for Brexit, .

Exactly !1 It's what the majority want.

You are lucky to be able to go away for 4 months.

We motorhomers are NOT the average Uk people. Most citizens have mortgages to pay, and cannot afford the price of the average MH, let alone the ones costing more than a house in many areas.

It will happen , and we will be better off, look at the company's outside europe , that are already setting up over here

PJay

hallii - 2017-06-26 4:41 PM

Monique, I am old enough to remember old Francs, New Francs, Pesetos etc, we managed quite well before the EU and I have every confidence we will manage after Brexit.

The UK is an important market for Mercedes, BMW, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, VW and lots of others. All we need is a deal to suit Britain and also to suit the EU, it should not be difficult. It will need a bit of goodwill on both sides.

I should mention that we British actually like Europe and the people of the EU, I hope the people of the EU will like us after Brexit :-)

H

TOTALLY AGREE

We want to govern ourselves by ELECTED people, Not NON elected bureaucrats in Brussels

PJay

The country voted for Brexit, those in opposition said it would be very costly. Simple as that.

Just got back Barry. The exchange rate has got worse, although we averaged 1.16 to £, but euro land has got more expensive even allowing for the worse rate, so things not so rosy, especially in France. Why keep banging on about a marginal poll, it was a democratic vote so the margin does not matter a damn. We are leaveing the EU, live with it.

PJay - 2017-06-26 6:52 PM

The country voted for Brexit, .

Exactly !1 It's what the majority wanted!

You are lucky to be able to go away for 4 months.

We motorhomers are NOT the average Uk people. Most citizens have mortgages to pay, and cannot afford the price of the average MH, let alone the ones costing more than a house in many areas.

It will happen , and we will be better off, look at the company's outside europe , that are already setting up over here

PJay

If your going to selectively edit my quotes I can do the same.

Its not just the price of motorhomes is it though. Everything has an impact which is why inflation is starting to soar. Unless its produced in a field by hand with no power chances are it has some kind of import cost. So the people who cannot afford motorhomes but have mortages to pay will soon start to realise the price of Brexit. "What the people wanted" is right with wanted being the operative word. Bet you wouldnt care for a second referendum a year on though huh and certainly not in say a years time when we really start to learn the error of our ways. That I suspect is still a distinct possibility.

rupert123 - 2017-06-26 10:07 PM

Just got back Barry. The exchange rate has got worse, although we averaged 1.16 to £, but euro land has got more expensive even allowing for the worse rate, so things not so rosy, especially in France. Why keep banging on about a marginal poll, it was a democratic vote so the margin does not matter a damn. We are leaveing the EU, live with it.

Yep I suspect we will notice a big difference. Not much I can do about that and my reference to the costs of motorhoming was really to point out just how big the impact is or at least will be once the increases in costs of everything thats Eurozone related starts to hit home here.

As for us actually leaving? A week is a long time in politics as we have just seen. ill believe it when it actually happens.

How can the price of foreign vehicles not go up considerably when you look at the exchange rate since Brexit?.

It would appear that imported MHs are priced on supply and demand, else there would have already been massive price rises.

rupert123 - 2017-06-26 5:04 PM

...As for 35,000 Burstner units sold, in their dreams.

I would have thought it was plain from Monique’s posting that the 65,000 and 35,000 figures related to the overall size of the market for new motorhomes in (respectively) Germany and the UK, not the number of motorhomes sold by Burstner.

In the February 2017 issue of MMM magazine (Pages 122/123) Jens Kromer (Managing Director of Burstner) said that the projection for UK sales of Burstner motorhomes during the 2017 season was 600. This was said to represent 5% of the total UK motorhome market, suggesting that the annual size of the UK market currently is around 12,000 units (which seems about right to me). Jens Kromer anticipated that their UK market-share would increase in 2018, adding that the Burstner factory’s output had been at maximum and an extra shift would allow 2018 production to rise to 7,500 motorhomes.

There's a small article in the July-17 edition of MMM (Page-31, top right column refers) whereby the following is mentioned as per the NCC's recent research:

1. New MH sales between Apr-16 and Mar-17 was 13,000 (a 2,000 unit increase over FY15-16).

2. New MH sales in Mar-17 were 2,877, a 22% increase over the same period last year.

3. First quarter sales of 2017 was 3,670 which is a new quarterly record.

Those figures look good to me,

Cheers,

Andrew

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-27 9:57 AM

I believe the 65,000/35,000 figures Monique quoted were supplied by Diane Abbott’s researchers.

Brilliant.

Regarding Barrys £1000 extra. We were getting about .1.21 to pound before brexit, so I guess not all of his loss is due to brexit.

stvekay - 2017-06-27 10:38 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-06-27 9:57 AM

I believe the 65,000/35,000 figures Monique quoted were supplied by Diane Abbott’s researchers.

Brilliant.

Regarding Barrys £1000 extra. We were getting about .1.21 to pound before brexit, so I guess not all of his loss is due to brexit.

Sorry to be tedious, but Brexit has not yet happened, and the terms under which we may leave are not yet decided. The current exchange rate merely reflects the short term expectations of the markets. For the effect of Brexit we shall have to wait for some time after a) the conditions are clear b) we have actually left and c) these mooted trade deals with non-EU countries have been negotiated and ratified. Even then I suspect that many investors and traders will reserve judgement to see how the UK economy actually responds.

I really despair of the rose tinted logic of some regarding Brexit. It seems that because we import more than we sell, they think we shall get a good deal. The UK economy is approximately 80% services, which includes hotels and catering as well as financial services. So, from the worst paid jobs, to by far the highest paid, with not a lot in-between. Our manufacturing sector is widely accepted as being a) too small and b) relatively (that is relative to others in comparable countries) inefficient. It has, since well before we joined the EEC, been notoriously reluctant to innovate, to develop new products, and to invest in new manufacturing capacity. This has much to do with the floating exchange rate, and the need to export in order to benefit from economies of scale. Investment decisions, which involve assessment of future profit on present capital employed, are somewhere between difficult and impossible with an exchange rate that fluctuates by such wide margins, so quickly. Will Brexit change that?

So, our industry has taken to importing re-badged products from foreign manufacturers whose costs are lower (currently mainly China, but in principle anywhere in the world that produces reliable quality at low cost), or moving its own plants elsewhere to benefit from the lower production costs there. People say the Chinese have stolen our jobs. They have not. It is British businesses of all kinds that have exported "our" jobs. For that to change post Brexit, we shall need to get our production costs down and our overall manufacturing efficiency up. How is Brexit going to assist with that?

There is much talk about stagnant pay rates, low paid workers, and zero hours contracts in UK. To become more wealthy, those jobs need to improve in quality, security, and pay rates. Were that the case, our younger generation would be able to buy houses as most of us could when in our 20's and 30's. Our unemployment rate is relatively low, but we have a substantial number of migrant workers, seasonal and settled, who have swelled our labour pool to the disadvantage of our own people by depressing pay rates generally, but to the advantage of our businesses. Is Brexit going to change that, bearing in mind the access business has to government? Really?

So, we have what we have. A land of great relative wealth, but a land in which many cannot buy homes, in which rents are high, and in which pay is generally low except for a highly privileged few. In short, a land of huge inequality what compared to other developed economies. So how, exactly, is Brexit going to change that? Answers on a (largish :-)) postcard, please.

PJay - 2017-06-26 6:54 PM

hallii - 2017-06-26 4:41 PM

H

TOTALLY AGREE

We want to govern ourselves by ELECTED people, Not NON elected bureaucrats in Brussels

PJay

Farage was (still is) one of those "bureaucrats" in Brussels......wasn't he elected? :-S

As to the op's point, it's long been known prices of motorhomes in Germany are cheaper than UK even after all the relative import taxes etc have been paid. One of my neighbours chose to buy theirs through a dealer in Germany as it was cheaper than what they'd have paid here. UK is a high tax low income country.

. There will always be two sides to this and if you think this is going to be as "simple as that" then then you have conceded to let the likes of John Claude Jonker ( may have got the spelling wrong)a failed politicion bully and dictate what we can and more to the point, cannot have. The price of anything from Europe has gone up and down over the years and has evened out over time. The "stupid thing" is done and those in opposition would have said anything to get an against leaving vote. Just like the people who lead the leave campaign. Personally to me The common market has become an old boys club for failures who are lining their pockets and laughing at us all. The Kinnocks for 3. The idea was a good one but it has gone off the rails and has become a dictatorship. We always seem to abide by the laws handed down from The EU. But the likes of Italy, Greece & France, who it would seem are a law unto themselfs just laugh them off. I can understand the against voters spreading doom and dispondency all around. But for goodness sake give it a chance. There is one thing for certain that financial markets don't like and that's uncertainty. And that's all we know for certain. So while trying to guess and speculate what the future holds is great fun for some and fulfils a need in others to say " I told you so" in 3 or 4 years it will all be chaff in the wind. So just sit back and either watch them make a half decent job or a pigs ear of it. I'm 65 and I'll be happy either way if I wake up to see another beautiful day.

Sorry to be misunderstood on this Berniea. But the figure of 35000 is total market of RV vehicles in the uk according a survey of promobil. Not burstner alone.But they have a big share not published. I was never aware that the Uk was such a large market For example in slovenia where carthago has a large production unit and skoda cars only 200 Rv vehicles are sold. They are their for cheap labour, but still good craftmanshift.

Archived